Yep. I’m one of those

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by 1sheep, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Yep the LA Peaceful Protests of 1992 are what transitioned me from a pure hunting firearms owner to a hunter who also owns firearms for personal defense. I got my first Glock, a Glock 22, right around that time.

2. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

Pretty damn funny! I don’t recall anybody calling them “Peaceful Protests” at the time.
    I happened upon Reginald Denny some weeks after those events. I was behind this guy in fast food place line, and was taken by the odd pyramid shaped dent in his skull above his left temple, IIRC. He finally turned enough so I could see his face, and I figured out instantly who he was and the odd dent in his cranium.
    That guy was lucky to survive being beaten with a brick as he was.
    That chance encounter cemented my position that I was NOT GOING TO BE A VICTIM!

Ed

Willard and Will Beararms like this.

3. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Welcome to G.T. from southern Illinois.

4. pgg00

pgg00

5. bac1023

bac1023

6. rayzer007

rayzer007

Welcome to the club 1Sheep; you've got the right attitude!
    Safety first and always!

7. destrukto

destrukto

Welcome from Alabama

It sounds like you’re off to a good start, a basic pistol class will pay dividends in the long run and competition is a fun way to improve your skills. GSSF or steel challenge are a great place to start if you want to get into competition

8. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

Welcome to GT!

9. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Welcome, and your doing things right.
    The G-42 is easy to carry and shoot well, but to kids it does Look like a toy, keep carrying, keep practicing, keep them secure.

-JCN- likes this.
  10. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

11. Will Beararms

Remember the guy in the red Jeep, I believe, that waved the AK variant at the ensuing throng of Peaceful Protesters? They scattered like ants under a lifted rock. ;) It was a slow and wide confident wave as if to say: “ Unh Unhhhhh No you don’t. “ Gosh there were some good buys back then——$299.00 Norinco 1911’s, $79.00 SKS’s, $350.00 Norinco AKM’s and the ammo——-oh the ammo. Three years ago, we left Dallas and moved to the woods——mountains surrounding a 40K acre lake. We had no idea at the time what would await us now. I don’t want to get too philosophical but I know God made it happen. I worked from home today and spent the lunch hour moving small boulders and rocks from a adjacent foothill to start a fire pit. Thankful to be out of a 5 million plus metroplex.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  12. Will Beararms

Getting back to the OP. You’ve made a major step toward being a shepherd within your family, circle of friends and community. Just be careful. I am not here to be a negative Nay Bob. I started shooting at age 7, 49 years ago. At age 9, I was in the woods by myself. I was a hunting guide for 7 years. I considered myself fairly competent. 4 or 5 years ago, I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9—-striker-fired, no manual safety and no “ dingus “ in the middle of the trigger like with Glocks. After over 20 years, I became conditioned to the dingus instinctive muscle memory was present. While cleaning the M&P 9, I shot through my home office wall. Thank God no one was upstairs at the time and it didn’t penetrate the thin hastily built pattern home wall. (135 grain JHP Hornady Critical Duty——not impressed to say the least.) Don’t get too comfortable and:

Never touch a firearm if you have had even a sip of alcohol

Don’t show your friends and acquaintances your firearms. We are in strange times and they are tools; not toys.

Do not show your young children your firearms. There will be a right time and place for that. Become very proficient before you do that.

Store your ammo in Tupperware with desiccant away from your firearms and if possible in a safe or place not accessible to others.

Do not hide a pistol anywhere. Lock them up. Small easy access safes are $50 and will get you by until you can get something better.

Enjoy the journey!

-JCN- and Simi_gun_guy like this.
  13. flyby1971

flyby1971

Hello and Welcome.

14. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Welcome to the addiction. What part of VA are you in?

TGT likes this.
  15. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Welcome.....congrats on the 2 new Glocks, bet they're not your last.

Have fun, be safe and enjoy shooting them.

16. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

17. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Welcome.

I’m glad you’re being cautious. Lots of good advice here. But ... carry just as soon as you’re legal and minimally proficient. The pistol is doing you no good if you don’t have access to it. You’re probably already more competent than half the people already carrying.

BOOSTED12A likes this.