Yearly call to cable TV company....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Crazy KD, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

Got my latest bill from my TV, internet, and phone supplier. It went up $30 a month. Last year when they did this I called and threatened to move to the 'other guys' and they brought down the increase to more reasonable level ($5-10 from my memory) and gave me a bunch of movie channels if I signed up for another year.

I've already priced moving to the other guys again and they offer 12 month introductory packages much cheaper with more HD and more movie channels, but I'll be in the same boat in 12 months.

Does everyone else go through this every 12 months or do they just accept the pricing increases?

2. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I called DTV last year asking about a cheaper plan I read about on a forum. I didn't realize it was a retention plan, anyway the guy hooked me up with a $10 a month credit. It expires the month before my service does in November.

I'm eyeballing a much cheaper package with Dish, losing some channels, but I'll get the new pricing for a year on top of that. Also I noticed their DVR service is $6 compared to Dtv's $10... but it's $6 per tv :upeyes:

I only have one tv, and would just get a regular receiver if I did get a 2nd one.

3. JMS

JMS 02

I found the bundle plans didn't save me any money, for home phone (including call waiting/caller id) and internet through Verizon I pay $50 a month and for Direct TV (including 3 receivers/Choice Package/1 Foreign language channel) for $60 a month.

Dish Network has good ratings per Consumer Reports and fair pricing as well after the promotion is over with but supposedly they can't establish a signal to our house?

4. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

I feel soooo guilty for getting cable, internet and phone service for free.

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Yeah...well...not all of us feel comfortable in prison.

6. JMS

JMS 02

I guess it's the one perk of living in TN :tongueout:

7. hatrix

hatrix

Why isnt the government doing anything about this!?!

8. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Wifey works for the cable company, all the employees get it free. We get pay per view for half price as well.

Don't be a Tennessee hater! Where do you live?

9. The Hawk

The Hawk

I decided to upgrade my Dish serviced last month. I called them and told them what channels I wanted to add. I do not have any movie channels. I only wanted to add Military, Speed and a couple channels for my wife. No movie channels added. I was told that it would be an additional $67.00. I told them that I would be calling them back to cancel my service as soon as I talked with the cable company for new service. They asked me to please hold a minute as they had "misquoted" my price. Suddenly, I got the same channels plus lots of other channels for only $10.00 extra. Isn't it amazing how that happens?

10. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Man. TN is where I want to retire someday.

11. goatranch

goatranch

Same thing with me a few years ago. I had been a very long time customer of DTV. Lightning hit my receiver so I called for another. They wanted to charge me $78.00 for man to put it in, $$ for the receiver itself. ended up being MORE than I paid for the system new. I told them to cancel and I would go somewhere else. Within one minute the rec. was free, service man was free, 6 months of local channels free, no charge for the receiver for 6 months or a year.

Recently out of the blue DirecTV sent me a note saying "since I am a loyal customer since 1999" I am getting Starz free for 6 months. I love the strong arm treatment then they bring out the free crap.

They are hurting so bad they cannot afford to lose any customers at all I heard from someone that worked there.

12. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I signed up for DirecTV in about January 1995 - I think my customer number is something like "4" :) - and I've never really shopped around, but at $51/month maybe I should? :headscratch:

kestrou

13. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

I left cable, never to return..........I am on the dishnetwork, the only thing I miss is the On-Demand feathure where I can watch shows at my convenience, but I have DVR so I can watch record them and watch them later.......I like it, I have everything, and when I mean everything, I get boxing matches from Sri Lanka, and every sports game, (every major sport even the ones I dont watch IE hockey) All premim channels, at the price I was paying with cable, and a few HBO Channels, I have that all that now and wayyyyy more.........

14. shavedape

shavedape

You always have to threaten to leave, no matter who the company is. They always try to sting you with some BS charge first and it takes a threat to get them to back down and give you a better deal. It's SOP.

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I have the cheapest plan of all!!!

[​IMG] :rofl:

Actually I don't have TV... gives me more time to harass you folks!:wavey:

16. blackjack

blackjack

These companies, both cable and satellite, adjust rates to get what they can, when they can. It's called managing the margin. Those who notice the adjustment and call are following the first rule of negotiations: if you don't ask, you don't get. Actually, it's a win-win for the cable/satellite company because a lot of customers don't ask so the margin goes up so they can satisfy those that complain.

17. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

I would go with satellite if it didnt go out eveyday because of the weather.:faint:

18. fireguy129

fireguy129

Every day? My direct tv might only drop 3 or 4 times a year?

19. goatranch

goatranch

My DT may blink a little in the heaviest downpours. I've heard of this. Must be sun spots or the gov.

20. viniglock

viniglock

Sometimes what you want is not what you need.:whistling: