GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I went to the last four presidential elections on duty and in uniform. That being said, I would never have shown any political preferences, outside of the US flag on my uniform.

Reactions: nrajeff

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Dev. Adv. says: What if you work for Joe's Plumbing, or Frank's Towing--where employees are issued uniforms--and you show up to vote wearing that work uniform? Also not smart? Or is there a double standard that discriminates against cops? Heck, politicians show up to vote and don't disguise who they work for. Some make a media event out of it, in fact. How come cops seem to be pariahs in this regard? How about EMTs or firemen--would it be more "inappropriate" for them to vote in uniform? Or the same inappropriateness? Or would people think it's fine for those people to vote in uniform?

(As you might have guessed, I don't like double standards, so I try to explore an issue from the Devil's Advocate position to see how the standards measure up. )
As a plummer, are you targeted because of your profession? Are you worried about being doxed? Are they currently having mass protests around the globe because of excessive plumbing? Like it or not, we are not plummers so yes, we may in fact be held to a different standard. I didn’t see any “clogged pipes matter” signs on the way home either..

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
As a plummer, are you targeted because of your profession? Are you worried about being doxed? Are they currently having mass protests around the globe because of excessive plumbing? Like it or not, we are not plummers so yes, we may in fact be held to a different standard. I didn’t see any “clogged pipes matter” signs on the way home either..
Good point but not the reason why this cop is in trouble—it’s not because being seen supporting Trump might get him shot.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yeah, yeah. But what a great looking uniform. Sewn in creases in the shirt, Sam Browne gear, complete with cross strap. Damn, that's cool.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
POTUS is by definition a political position. Most departments are, by choice and good counsel, decidedly neutral as regards to politics. Individual officers on their own time and out of uniform can be pretty darn political, though even then there may be restrictions to some degree. However, when that uniform is on, you now represent the department as an entity, not yourself. You agreed to those rules when you signed on. If you no longer wish to abide by them, either resign or accept the consequences of violating policy.

If the officer voted on duty in his uniform and chose to wear a plain mask, or one that didn’t take a political opinion, this never would have come up, complete non issue. Just another guy participating in the process who happens to be a cop. But, he was looking for attention and he got it. Cause...effect. What form that attention will take is not entirely known by us, but I’m guessing it’ll be negative, at least to some degree.

His job, job while wearing that uniform, is to keep things calm, to protect and serve without regard to any circumstances including political affiliation. The department must be neutral. He just took a position on behalf of that department that irritates, offends, or gives pause to a big part of the population for no other reason than he just had to share his opinion with the world. Bad judgment that was entirely avoidable.
This post deserves recognition. It’s just damn well said!

Warbow, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a single post of yours before this one, and I’ve been here for a minute or two. I’ve got to say, you’ve set the bar high for future posts, as I feel like you crushed this on into the upper deck! Very well said! Exactly the reason I OP’d this thread. Summed up beautifully. Thank you.

Reactions: warbow150

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
View attachment 853430

It appears that this is the model of Trump mask he was wearing. The profanity is unprofessional enough while in uniform, regardless of the political message or endorsement of a particular candidate. The guy's clearly a moron and has earned the internal disciplinary spanking he's about to get.
the other reason I started the thread....the bottom line on the mask is clearly visible in the picture of the officer. I’ll be pulling the lever for our current POTUS.... AGAIN! Doesn’t change that the mask message is inappropriate to the uniform. If the mask promoted Mr. Biden, I’d be opposed to that too. Plus the profanity. Just doesn’t reflect well on the dept., on either point.

PS, Dukeboy, I hope you’re really enjoying retirement!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This post deserves recognition. It’s just damn well said!

Warbow, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a single post of yours before this one, and I’ve been here for a minute or two. I’ve got to say, you’ve set the bar high for future posts, as I feel like you crushed this on into the upper deck! Very well said! Exactly the reason I OP’d this thread. Summed up beautifully. Thank you.
Those are kind words, thanks very much. I’m new to Glocktalk.

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,360 Posts
the other reason I started the thread....the bottom line on the mask is clearly visible in the picture of the officer. I’ll be pulling the lever for our current POTUS.... AGAIN! Doesn’t change that the mask message is inappropriate to the uniform. If the mask promoted Mr. Biden, I’d be opposed to that too. Plus the profanity. Just doesn’t reflect well on the dept., on either point.

PS, Dukeboy, I hope you’re really enjoying retirement!
So far, so great!

·
Registered
652 Posts
In Florida we got Sheriff's going on TV in uniform saying they support Trump and why, so how can a mask with Trump on it be any different?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I know that's "how it is." What I am wondering is whether it should be that way. The POTUS is a govt. official, and when he shows up to vote, it's obvious who he supports for POTUS. Yet no one gives him a "rip" (to use TV cop lingo) for doing so. I can see why it might be bad for cops to get together and hold a rally in front of the courthouse (peaceful demonstration) for one candidate or the other. But to show up alone with some detectable clue as to who they personally plan to vote for--I am less sure that's a venial sin, let alone a mortal one. But I confess that in my state, they don't want you even driving up to the parking spaces in front of the voting place with a bumper sticker for a candidate, IIRC.
Well, the President votes by mail, but if he showed up to vote in person somewhere it was illegal to wear a MAGA hat and he was wearing one, I suspect that he'd be asked to remove it.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
So, just to clarify your position: How about a firefighter showing up to vote while in uniform? Okay, or unacceptable?

How about the Air National Guardsmen who I see doing all kinds of normal things such as shopping, gassing up the POV, etc. while in uniform--Voting Booth Verboten? Or "I'm cool with THOSE people voting in uniform, but not cops" ?

(As you may have noticed, I have a problem with double standards unless there's a really valid reason for having them)
Voting in uniform is not the issue. Voting with a Trump mask is the issue.

·
Unfair Facist
23,404 Posts
In Florida we got Sheriff's going on TV in uniform saying they support Trump and why, so how can a mask with Trump on it be any different?
The Sheriff is the chief LEO in the county and can do as he pleases. The Sheriff makes the policies and procedures his employees must follow.

Reactions: ranger1968

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Actually , voting with a Trump mask WHILE in uniform is the issue; the agency , like all agencies, has a clear policy about such things, one which undoubtedly would have been specifically highlighted during the election season, and this yahoo violated it.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,537 Posts
I know that's "how it is." What I am wondering is whether it should be that way. The POTUS is a govt. official, and when he shows up to vote, it's obvious who he supports for POTUS. Yet no one gives him a "rip" (to use TV cop lingo) for doing so. I can see why it might be bad for cops to get together and hold a rally in front of the courthouse (peaceful demonstration) for one candidate or the other. But to show up alone with some detectable clue as to who they personally plan to vote for--I am less sure that's a venial sin, let alone a mortal one. But I confess that in my state, they don't want you even driving up to the parking spaces in front of the voting place with a bumper sticker for a candidate, IIRC.
The POTUS voted by mail.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
NRA4EVR
11,458 Posts
Because that officer works for the Miami Police Department, and has to follow his department policy. What the head of any other department does has nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I don’t like to do anything of a personal nature while in uniform because I like to maintain a level of anonymity as I go about personal business. It’s nobody’s business who I am voting for, of if I even vote. In no way would I be wearing a mask loudly proclaiming my support for anyone or any cause. How about if some left leaning police officer were to wear a BLM mask at work? How would his co-worker’s feel about that? It’s tit for tat as far as I’m concerned.

No matter how you might feel about a cause, there still has to be some objectivity. A case in point, I have been asked to coordinate and come up with an operations plan for a big Trump Rally. As I met with the organizers, I realized they were asking for certain liberties that we had earlier denied BLM when they had their rallies. Despite my feelings on the matter, how would it look if I allowed Trump Supporters to do something I had prevented BLM from doing? This goes the other way as well. If I conceded to the Trump Supporters, then the next BLM Protest would likely request similar concessions.

It’s permissible to have opinions, but by the very nature of our missions, it’s important not to express them or show partiality when at work.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I don’t like to do anything of a personal nature while in uniform because I like to maintain a level of anonymity as I go about personal business. It’s nobody’s business who I am voting for, of if I even vote. In no way would I be wearing a mask loudly proclaiming my support for anyone or any cause. How about if some left leaning police officer were to wear a BLM mask at work? How would his co-worker’s feel about that? It’s tit for tat as far as I’m concerned.

No matter how you might feel about a cause, there still has to be some objectivity. A case in point, I have been asked to coordinate and come up with an operations plan for a big Trump Rally. As I met with the organizers, I realized they were asking for certain liberties that we had earlier denied BLM when they had their rallies. Despite my feelings on the matter, how would it look if I allowed Trump Supporters to do something I had prevented BLM from doing? This goes the other way as well. If I conceded to the Trump Supporters, then the next BLM Protest would likely request similar concessions.

It’s permissible to have opinions, but by the very nature of our missions, it’s important not to express them or show partiality when at work.
Some great points there, IMO. I have been at Chik Fil-A when cops (city police and county sheriff's deputies) have driven up, parked their marked vehicles, walked in, ordered food, and sat down at a table to eat it. I think it's great, but I can imagine "some" people seeing that and having a fit because the cops are publicly supporting a business whose owner is a conservative with Christian values.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Voting while in uniform and while wearing a pro-Trump mask was the original issue. Someone recently switched it to voting while in uniform, which I personally don't mind discussing as well. Both are interesting to discuss. :)

41 - 60 of 72 Posts