Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha Yzf600r Chain

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by KNOW 1, Jul 1, 2005.

1. KNOW 1

KNOW 1

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a quandary. Adjusting my chain, I'm able to tighten it to the point of correct tension, but when I rotate the wheel several revolutions, it becomes too loose. If I tighten it at that point, and rotate the wheel several revolutions, at some point it becomes too tight. Anyone ever dealt with thin phenomena before. I did relace the rear sprocket hub bearing, don't know if something I could have done then could cause this. Any ideas would be appreciated. I was hoping to ride home this weekend , but I don't know. Thanx
  2. Rosey

Chandler, AZ
    I've encountered that phenomenon. I would adjust the chain appropriately while the chain is positioned at its tightest spot. A slightly loose chain is less likely to cause damage than a too tight chain. Unless there is a drastic difference between the tightest spot and loosest spot, it should be ok. A major difference should be rectified.

(I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the hub.)

My theory on the most common cause of this situation is uneven wear of the chain, sprockets, (and possibly the cush drive?) combined with wheel misalingment.

You could try removing the wheel, loosening the nuts/bolts that hold the sprocket onto the sprocket carrier (look for any slop while the bolts are in place but loose), retighten the bolts, and reinstall the wheel. A dab of blue Locktight is appropriate on sprocket bolts.

Make sure the wheel is a aligned in the swingarm. Don't rely on the little tick-marks on the swingarm--IME they fequently missguide. Look HERE or HERE for a common method for wheel alignment.

How old are the chain and sprockets? Chains stretch a suprising amount as they wear out. Some sections may have stretched more than others.

HTH :)