Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out working yesterday, driving through a town in Southern Indiana. I saw what appeared to be an original XS 650, in yellow and white trim, with a front drum brake very similar to the one shown in the photo below. It must have been a 1969 or 70 model. The rider was a young guy, and was either new to bikes or the bike had a clutch slip problem because I could hear him revving the engine and slowly letting out the clutch at the stoplight.
What astounded me was how good the bike looked. It has either been lovingly restored, or sitting in a warehouse or dry space for years.
The XS was Yamaha's try at a British style bike, only with electrics that actually worked, and an engine that didn't leak oil. Yamaha split the engine cases vertically instead of horizontally. That along with better gasket material solved the engine oil oozing problem all British vertical twins were known for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I remember seeing them at a dealership that sold Yamaha and Triumph. All the Brit bikes had drip trays underneath them in the showroom. Those 650 and 750s Yamahas were nice. I never got to ride the twins. Years later I bought an XS1100 what a ride that was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts