close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha xs 650

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by norton, Jun 30, 2006.

1. norton

norton

I was out working yesterday, driving through a town in Southern Indiana. I saw what appeared to be an original XS 650, in yellow and white trim, with a front drum brake very similar to the one shown in the photo below. It must have been a 1969 or 70 model. The rider was a young guy, and was either new to bikes or the bike had a clutch slip problem because I could hear him revving the engine and slowly letting out the clutch at the stoplight.
    What astounded me was how good the bike looked. It has either been lovingly restored, or sitting in a warehouse or dry space for years.
    The XS was Yamaha's try at a British style bike, only with electrics that actually worked, and an engine that didn't leak oil. Yamaha split the engine cases vertically instead of horizontally. That along with better gasket material solved the engine oil oozing problem all British vertical twins were known for.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'd take that mother out for a spin.:supergrin:

3. michael t

michael t

They were a great bike except when riding double in hills Then you wanted more motor. But I always wanted more on a Bonnie to.

4. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

5. BOBK48

BOBK48

I remember seeing them at a dealership that sold Yamaha and Triumph. All the Brit bikes had drip trays underneath them in the showroom. Those 650 and 750s Yamahas were nice. I never got to ride the twins. Years later I bought an XS1100 what a ride that was!