Yamaha V-Star 1100

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by glockatlanta, Jun 29, 2005.

1. glockatlanta

glockatlanta

Does anyone out there have one of these bikes? What are the Pros & Cons? Any particular years to avoid?

2. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

glockatlanta:
    A riding buddy of our purchased a 2002 V-Star 1100 Custom in February. The bike had only 1200 miles on it when purchased, and our friend has put another 1K on it since. Admittedly, that is not much of a test, but so far so good.

We have ridden the bike and find it to our liking. It is smooth, and seems to have good power. The fit and finish is nice, and the chrome looks deep.

If it is a small to mid sized cruiser you seek, the V Star 1100 seems worthy of consideration.

We trudge on.

3. glockatlanta

glockatlanta

4. voraus

voraus

Hi Wetrudgeon, do you know, approximately what your friend paid for a 2002 with 1200? I'm just starting to shop for a 800-1300 cc bike and this is one that interests me. Thanks. Jerry

5. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

voraus:
    We were somewhat in on the friend's purchase of the V Star, and know the particulars. He paid $5700 cash for the bike.

Based upon what we can gather, that is a good deal less than one can expect to pay for this particular model in "like new" condition with almost no miles. We think our friend was simply at the right place at the right time with $$$.

The bike is bone stock, save for a luggage rack the original purchaser added when he took delivery. It is also immaculate.

It seems to us that there are any number of good choices of cruisers in the displacement range you are interested in. All the Japs make something suitable, and the small Sporster is nice (albeit somewhat over priced perhaps). You may wish to go to cycletrader.com and browse. One can get a pretty good idea of the (high side) prices on that site. Warning: it is habit forming.

We trudge on.

PS: A few months ago we purchased a Honda 750 Shadow that we consider perfectly adequate for the kind of Saturday morning riding we like. We are somewhat small of stature, and the little Shadow fits us well. The Shadow will make highway speed without laboring, is nimble, looks good, and has done a steady 55mpg in all riding. There is little more that we could ask of it. Used ones can be had for somewhere in the $4K range. A pretty good starter bike, we think. We like ours.

6. voraus

voraus

and the advice. I'll certainly look at the Shadow. I'm a new rider and I want a bike to commute daily and take day trips while I develop the skills required to handle a bigger bike. I'm a little bigger than you (240lbs) and I'd love to ride a traditional street bike but I'm not comfortable with the feet aft of the knees riding postion so I'll probably gravitate toward a 'cruiser' style that brings the feet forward a little bit.

I may opt for buying a smaller displacement (750-800) new bike as opposed to a larger displacement used bike. I think I'm settling on a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (or a like model from Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki) if I can find one near $5k. I bought a Shoei full face helmet and armored riding clothing first and that has cut back on the bike budget a little bit.

I really like the willingness of the Moto clubbers to advise new riders. I know the questions are always the same but its nice to get answers from more experienced riders.

7. Shinichi

Shinichi Snow yet?

8. mesteve2

mesteve2

Loved it and just traded it.

Was a 2003 had it 13 months.

Just got a new 2005 road star 1700 and it is really great.

No dam harley for me I can not afford those repairs.

I think this is a great bike this road star.

It is the silverado.

I just put the first thousand miles on it.

9. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

voraus:
    Shinchi speaks (er, posts) truth and wisdom. A(nother) riding friend of ours purchased a new Suzuki Bulevard M-50 (805cc) in April and has put approximately 3K miles on the bike with nothing but grins.

We have piloted the bike a number of times (he likes to trade), and ridden "two up" with our friend on one occasion. The Suzuki M-50 "feels" larger than our 750 Shadow and is very comfortable(although we think our Shadow seems more nimble and definately possesses a bit more "scat"). We think this is another very good small/meduim displacement cruiser.

mesteve2:
    Personally, we consider the Yamaha Road Star as perhaps the nicest turned out large displacemetn cruiser that can be had from any manufacturer, Nip or no. We would be quite interested to have your further impressions of the Road Star after some more miles. Of particular interest is the fuel economy.

Inquiring minds want to know...

We trudge on.