Ya think mailing ballots is safe?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Critch, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Critch

Critch

A package was mailed to me on October 23 from Roanoke, VA; I live in the Bootheel of Missouri. The package was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but for some USPS reason the package went on to Kansas City, KS...that's almost 7 hours northwest of me...so now I expect it will have to wind it's way back to St Louis, to Cape Girardeau, and finally down here...

Doesn't make a lot of sense..

BTW, I checked with the vendor, and he used my correct address and ZIP code.

2. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I was over your way for work the other day. Caruthersville.

3. n2877

n2877

I don’t trust usps with ballots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday, cghelton and aircarver like this.
  4. Judge Bean

Judge Bean

Mail early and often.

kody1234 and Critch like this.
  5. flyover

flyover

Early walk-in voting.

Doc Holliday and cghelton like this.
  6. faceplant

faceplant

I hope everyone using USPS for voting has done so already.

7. brutusbeefcake

brutusbeefcake

In Butler county, Pa. 30,000 mail in ballots are missing. This county in 2016 voted 69% for Trump and 29% for Clinton.

ReaPer105, cghelton and larry_minn like this.
  8. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

[​IMG]

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would have liked to. @45 miles each way. Told long lines from half hr before opening. So I mailed it.
    You know the 2nd outer envelope (not the postage one) has a D or a R to show what party you normally voted for. So if you are rejecting ballots (before actual opening 2nd, and 3rd envelope) you have a dang good idea how they voted.
    So easy to reject or accept ballots.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  10. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I agree! In Washington state, there used to be a party affiliation indicator on the outside. That's why I've been wanting to change to Independent.
    I didn't see that indicator this go round.

larry_minn likes this.
  11. grumpy1

grumpy1

United States Postal service will randomly pick the next President of the USA, wonderful.

poles19, larry_minn and cghelton like this.
  12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Who is going to deliver absentee ballots?

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

NO.

I'll be voting on Monday, in person.

14. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I've had one piece of sent mail lost in 40 years. It was a house payment back in the late 80's. Cost me a $15 late fee.
    A package I ordered recently was mailed from a city 120 miles away from me. I got it 12 days later and tracking said it sat in a LA postal facility for 7 days without being scanned. I had to file a lost package request on the tracking number. Someone looked, it was scanned the next day and arrived two days later. The post office has definitely slowed down based on that and other recent experiences.

15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

How do they know this? Secret ballot and all.

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

This story does not appear to say 30,000 mail in ballots are actually missing and it sounds like whatever problems exist should be resolved.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/...ballots-elections-voting/stories/202010300134

“Over the last week and a half the Bureau of Elections has received thousands of calls and emails from voters saying they did not receive their mail-in or absentee ballots,” a statement from the county said. “The postal service is maintaining daily contact with our Elections Bureau and is aware of the situation.”

A spokesperson for the postal service could not immediately be reached, but in a statement to Post-Gazette news partner KDKA-TV the service said, “Regarding mail sorting and delivery in Butler County, the Postal Service is unaware of any significant delays or issues and is in regular contact with the Board of Election as we work to locate and deliver ballots as they are presented to us.”

The county Elections Bureau mailed out approximately 40,000 ballots but only about 21,300 had been returned as of Thursday.

Tuesday was the last day for Pennsylvania voters to apply for an absentee or mail-in ballot.

Westmoreland County has had similar troubles with ballots this week, but their numbers are improving. County officials said in a statement Friday evening that 52,729 mail-in or absentee ballots have so far been received out of 75,642 that were mailed to voters.

Butler County officials said in its statement that it will record to their website all of the ballots that have been returned within the next 48 hours so that voters can check to see if their ballots were received.

For voters whose ballots remain missing, the county suggested going to the Bureau of Elections and voting in person. The office will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday and 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday.

Voters can also still vote at their polling place. If they receive a ballot before Election Day they can take it to the polling place, turn it in, and then vote as normal. If they don’t receive it by then, they can still vote with a provisional ballot that will be reviewed to be sure the voter is not counted twice.

A steady stream of voters visited the Butler County Courthouse Friday afternoon, although none said they were replacing a missing ballot. Instead, they wanted to drop off their completed mail-in ballots in person.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

In most counties in California there are Ballot Collection Boxes at various location for those who don't want to use USPS.

The closest one to us was at a Ford dealership a couple of miles away so it was no inconvenience.

But what if the entire box load was trashed you ask? Well, California has a method for tracking your ballot. Mine has been marked "Accepted and will be counted" at the Secretary of State web site. That means they have the ballot and they have verified the signature. They will count it as soon as allowed and that's probably Nov 3rd. I can check to see if it has been counted at the same site. And I will...

California has 'permanent absentee' voting down to an art form. We have been doing it since 1962 when less than 3% of the General Election ballots were mail-in. The most recent primary was 72% mail-in.

Why in the world would anybody want to stand in line at some polling place with hundreds of people they don't want to know and possibly do it in the rain?

I voted a couple of week ago! This year I didn't even have to pay the postage.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/historical-absentee

18. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

If you can march with 10,000 of your closest friends, you can vote in person.

If you have to have a valid ID to board a plane, or a train, or the official offices of both major political parties, you can vote in person.

If you care, at all, about who wins the election, you can vote in person.

Just like it's been throughout WW1, WW2, and every other situation the nation has faced, from its founding to date.

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  19. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

If you care about this country, 90 miles wouldn't matter to you. I'd rather drive for two hours than put my ballot in the mail, especially when you say things like "the envelope has your party designation on the outside", which is just asking for your vote to be conveniently "lost".

Literally the life of this country as we know it, and possibly actual human lives, are in the balance here. Driving a bit is worth what this election has come down to, and all Republicans or anyone voting for Trump should do it in person, IMHO.

20. Crazypolack

Crazypolack

Which state are you talking about? I don't see any D/R on the sample envelopes in MN.

https://www.sos.state.mn.us/electio...ration/sample-absenteemail-ballot-envelopes/#

There was a video going around of Florida ballots with a D/R, but that is only for the primary and not the general.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...lican/65-c681c77d-79f9-4232-9c4b-edc50dc2c4de