close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

y dont ppl build their own laptops?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jolt8me, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

why dont people build their own laptops? Why dont stores sell hardware to upgrade your laptop? its very common to build your own desktop pc but i have not heard anything about laptops.

2. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

A good analogy between laptops and desktops, is a 2005 BMW vs a 1969 dodge charger. Laptops are just harder to workon and build, everything costs more, everything is cramped together. I imagine it's always going to be that way. -dok

3. pyblood

pyblood

ASUS has several laptop barebones that you can buy. Depending on the model, you’ll have to buy a processor, RAM, optical drive, and hard drive. I have looked at building a laptop before, but after buying all of the parts, it’s usually cheaper to just buy one.

Here’s the link to the ASUS site:
    http://usa.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=5

It’s easy to buy some upgrades for laptop. You can upgrade the hard drive, RAM, processor (sometimes), and optical drive. The thing is that some parts aren’t universal like Desktops. If you want to upgrade eh optical drive from a CD-Rom to a DVD burner, you’ll have to make sure that the shapes are very similar or it won’t fit right or at all.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Exactly. Laptops use far too many proprietary parts.

And, even if a faster CPU can be swapped in, the case won't let it breathe properly. Without adequate ventilation, you aren't gaining anything.

I have built thousands of desktop PC's, but I dislike even working on laptop hardware due to issues with outrageously-priced OEM replacement parts cutting into my profit margin.

5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Yep, Laptop stuff is all very tightly tied together - it's all very carefully chosen for size, fit, heat, etc., and made to work just so.

Lots and lots of custom sized, shaped bits, from batteries to mobo, video, internal connectors and cables etc... hardly a standard part in there.

Similarly, you won't see many small-form-factor DIY desktops. The DIY stuff is usually in nice big cases, with plenty of room for whatever to be kludged together, or in totally custom smaller cases.

Laptops are a whole different universe.