close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Xrl

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by .45 Combat, Mar 29, 2007.

1. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

I'm still undecided, as to which DS to with, I'm looking at the XR650L right now, I've looked at the KLR.

From what I understand the KLR is a better street bike, while the Honda is a better dirt bike. However, I like the bullet proof reputation the Honda has.

I still have some time before I buy anything.

2. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

You'd be hard pressed to find anything more reliable than a KLR650. They've been around for what...close to 20 years.

:cool:

3. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

KLR has good history. A real gas tank . and I love a Honda 650, want a Suzuki Dr650, but I would buy a Kawasaki . I WOULD USE IT TO GO ANYWHERE ANYTIME. Seattle to Alaska is a good start. Dependable as the sun coming up. I travel alone. If you have a chase team, choose the other two. One ole man's choice.

Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

4. candh

candh Senior Member

I owned a '92 KLR rode it from AZ. to SLC to Spokane 3 times. My favorite ever, till a drunk hit me.

5. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Well that's some great advice. I thought Honda had the bullet proof reputation. And Candh, I hope you weren't hurt to bad. Now the KLR is one of my first choices, but I started looking at the Honda. I like what I saw, of course I won't buy anything for a while yet. I'm still doing a little research.

6. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

If you're looking at any single cylinder bike you can always ask questions

here

:cool:

7. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I got bitten by the bike bug about a month ago- and I REALLY wanted a XR650L Honda, I'd seen them on the internet..so I went to a Honda dealer to actually look at one. I was soooooo disapointed to find out I just couldn't get my leg up and over the thing!Had some hip surg years ago..MAN! those things are TALL...So while I'm there I talk about getting the back end down some, and the salesman says it not really made to come down any...
    I looked at the 650 Kaw...BIG gastank, supposed to be pretty bulletproof, but I'm not sure how 5 gal of gas up that high would ride?
    Anyway.. on the way out of the shop I spot a 2001Suzuki DS400 - Liquid cooled single 400cc thumper- in immaculate condition-
    and I could get my leg over it!
    It'll cruise at 55 all day long- and I got 69.95mgp out of the 1st tank. It doesn't like to lug-lives more on revs than I'd like- but I'm ridin' again!
    I don't know where you are located, but Dreyer Honda in Indianapolis has a used 650 Honda -2001- that I looked at- it is in SUPER condition with about 5K mi- 3700$-they got a website...

8. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

That's great, I'm also looking into Suzuki's DR650 dual sport. I've read that the DS has the best of both worlds. Great off road like the XLR, and
    it's better on the road with less vibration than say the KLR and Honda. So I'm still doing my own resaearch.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I've actually been thinking lately about getting a KLR. A little light adventure touring looks like fun, and I can't afford a GS. We are looking at replacing our popup camper with either a travel trailer or RV, and Mrs. ateamer wants a toy hauler for the extra storage space. She has given the okay for a dual-sport if we wind up getting one.

Heck, if I can find one for cheap enough, I might just have two bikes in the garage. They don't look like it takes a great deal of mechanical skill to maintain or repair. If I can maintain a Gold Wing, and pull the motor for stator replacement, I should be able to handle a thumper.

10. Redhawk

Redhawk

I have owned both the KLR and the XRL. I sold my KLR because I found myself on the dirt more than on the street. Either bike are good choices. Buy what fits you best. I upgraded my tank on my XRL to a 4 gallon. Riding it never fails to put a smile on my face. Heading to Moab in 8 days. Here is a pic of my XRL..

[​IMG]