XP/Win 7 and Server 2003/2008 mixed environment

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Highspeedlane, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Has anyone here managed a mixed environment of XP and Windows 7 workstations?

Currently I have XP workstations managed by Server 2003 but I am beginning planning a migration to Windows 7 workstations. I have a couple of copies of Server 2008 on the way with the intention of using it as the GPO manager for the Windows 7 workstations (reason: roaming profile incompatibilities).

I won't get hard and heavy into researching this until I get my Server 08 copies as I have a bit of time yet.

Ideally I'd like to add Server 2008 to the mix and designate it as the GPO management server for the Windows 7 OU.

There are two Server 2003 DC's. I'm thinking Server 2008 has to be a member of the DC group to be designated the GPO management server for Windows 7 workstation OU?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. gemeinschaft

gemeinschaft AKA Fluffy316

This is not going to be as big of a deal as you think it is.

If you are only now migrating to Windows 7, you will find there are plenty of resources that you can turn to.

Yes, your 2008 box is going to need to be a DC.

3. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Thanks.

The headache is going to be migrating user roaming profiles. If it were up to me we would have never used them but the users are addicted to them and there's no turning back now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012