XP users; How long does it take to boot up?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gadgetman, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I just installed XP update onto my HP computer that came with ME. It now takes nearly 3 minutes to completely boot up. I nearly fell to sleep waiting for it.
    Just for curiosity sake why don't some XP users time there boot time and report back here with the results.

:)

2. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) About 90 seconds! (But my machine has a one gig RAM and a large system tray that is really loaded.) ;)

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I just timed it on a "clean" system (restored the image yesterday) it took 72 seconds. My other system (older image) took 109 seconds.

4. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

My HP came with windows ME, which in my opinion is the worst of them all. There at the end , it would take 15 or 20 minutes to boot up, plus other annoyances. I formatted and went with win xp pro , and after upgrading my ram to 512 , the boot up time is about 60 seconds. Life is too short to jack with ME, and slow boot ups. ;)

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It takes 52 seconds with my GF's 2.4C rig, and 49 seconds with my 3.0E PC.

Both run XP Pro with SP1a, and both are 'well-used' with loads of stuff installed.

JWiley: You are 110% correct, young man! Windows ME had absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever. It is good only to keep oneself from being overcharged on XP, since you can do a full install only with the Win98/ME CD handy...

A word of advice from a tech who has installed XP more than two thousand times: Never, EVER do an Upgrade install.

It not only b0rks XP's efficiency badly, but there is no possibility of setting up decent security when using an 'upgraded' OS like that. Plus, it just flat runs like a herd of turtles.

Seeing as how you already have all the XP disk you need, what you do at this point is a full backup of your pictures, music, address books, bookmarks, ect. to CD's; then insert the XP Upgrade disk and reboot.

Show it your ME disk when prompted to do so, then agree to the EULA and remove the FAT32 partition(s) from the hard drive. Put the XP disk back in when it asks for it.

Build a partition that holds all but 8mb of the available space, or if you want your data to be safer you can set up a 8-10GB C: partition and let the D: part take up the rest of the space.

FORMAT WITH NTFS. Don't select Quick Format or FAT32.

Then let XP install and your system will run 2-3X as quickly as it did on FAT32 with ME looking over its shoulder.

Just so you know, Win98 or ME may have run fine with 128MB of memory installed, but you'll want 256MB minimum and at least 512MB of RAM to get really good performance.

Sure, there are things you can turn off in XP to save resources, such as eye-candy and unneeded services, but there's just no substitute for having plenty of DDR.

Freedom, in your situation, there's no other option (other than agonizing slowness) available to you. You will need to reformat your drive and install XP properly if you want to get your machine working as they should.

Take my word for it, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck.

PS. BTW, I only buy XP Upgrade disks for my clients because they are less expensive...and I always do a "Clean" install after a full backup of their data.

6. SamBuca

SamBuca

45 seconds.

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
    c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe

OS: WinXP Home Edition 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600)
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Thoroughbred) , 1.66 GHz
    Video: Plug and Play Monitor on S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (1280x1024x32bpp 60Hz)
    Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Memory: Used: 228/608MB
    Uptime: 1m 58s HD:
    [C:] 2.92/37.26 GB
    Connection: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport @ 100.0 Mbps (Rec: 1.04MB Sent: 0.09MB)

7. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

70 seconds for start up (All icons in systray) and then an aditional 50 seconds (120 seconds total) to load all processes and become logged onto the network (HD idle).

XP Pro SP2
    Mobile AMD Athlon XP 1600
    1.39 Ghz, 480 RAM

8. troyboy30

troyboy30

41 seconds. now shutdown is a diff story.

9. Tvov

Tvov

Startup approx. 45 seconds.

PIV 2g, 512RAM, 60g hd.

Shutdown about 15 seconds.

We don't run a lot of big processes, basically internet surfing and games.

I try to keep an eye on what's running and saved. Moderately regularly, I clean things out, and run AdAware daily.

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

does "startup" mean until the desktop loads and you can start doing things, or until everything finishes and it's idle?

11. Tvov

Tvov

I would say when the desktop loads and you can start working.

12. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

Can you do a clean and install if you do not have a dedicated HP CD?
    My computer came loaded with ME it also came with 3 CD's. I don't know which one has ME on it and or will the XP upgrade find it?

13. nickg

nickg

WOW!!! funny that this thread is here.

i just upgraded to XP last weekend and the last couple of days i've been thinking "Jeez....is something wrong here? it seems like it's taking forever to boot up!!"

nice to know i'm not the only one waiting for XP startup. :)

14. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

most of the slowness from what i can tell, seems to be related to networking (not just on XP, but all OSes i've dealt with).

perhaps some of the XP SP2 firewall or virus warning things are slowing some down? these are some features which i would look at if i were in your shoes.

15. nickg

nickg

it might not be a bad idea to disable programs in "msconfig- startup" and see if it loads faster and then just open the programs as needed.

16. Tvov

Tvov

That is what I did a while ago, in order to help my computer run games better. Everything on a computer runs better if you can figure out only what you really need, and shut down everything else.

17. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

Well by using the diagnostic tools that come with XP in the help file I discovered that upon startup "WIA Service hung on starting". I Googled and discovered that WIA Service has something to do with scanners and cameras.
    I downloaded the latest XP drivers for my scanner (even though it was working fine) and my boot time went from about 3 minutes to 70 seconds.
    I hope this helps anybody else with slow boot times after the XP upgrade.

18. erikd65

erikd65

Mine is about 60 secs. It all depends on what services and processes you have starting up at boot time. Best thing to do to speed things up is to delete anything from the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run part of the registry and disable any unneeded services. A good source on services is at http://www.blackviper.com

WARNING: Messing with the registry can seriously hose up your operating system... USE CAUTION.

19. Bronson7

Bronson7

Startbutton to Desktop = 33 seconds.
    Bronson7

20. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

don't do an upgrade, do a fresh install.