close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP thinks my DVD-RW is a SCSI device?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SanduneCC, Feb 21, 2005.

1. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Help please. I just did a clean install of XP Pro with a brand new NEC 3510 DVD-RW. It won't burn anything, not CD or DVD. The device manager says it's a "SCSI device"? What's up?

2. Scorpius

Scorpius Skeptic

Well, is it? lol, just kidding. No, if it's EIDE, which I bet it is, most likely XP doesn't have drivers for your DVD-RW, since it's such new hardware. If you have one, put in your manufacturer's install disk, and install the drivers for your DVD-RW. If you don't have the disk, go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers from there. That should solve your problem. The reason it says in your device manager "SCSI device" is that XP has no clue what the hell you put in there, and it's trippin balls, so it says, "what the hell, SCSI device". It really doesn't matter what XP thinks it is, it just knows that it doesn't like it. Anyway, hope this helps a little, good luck.

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

I discovered the problem. After formating and installing XP for my Abit NF7-S/Athlon machine, I installed the nVidia drivers for the motherboard. There was an option to install "IDE SW" and I selected "Yes". That was a mistake.

4. Scorpius

Scorpius Skeptic

congrats. the problem was more interesting than i thought it was. but you figured it out, so no harm done.