close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Xp Sp2

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GLOCKFAN4LIFE, Sep 30, 2004.

1. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

Gents, i have found that alot of people are installing the service pack two for windows xp and have created alot of problems with internet browser and antivirus programs.. I would suggest you stay away from this upgrade,I dont believe microsoft did thier homework on this and will give you fits if you install..Now i will say this some users have installed and have no problems, But most users are not satisfied with upgrade..JUST A LIL NOTE....

2. Riverweasel

Riverweasel

I'm one who installed it & have no problems.
    Hope you all have the same luck.;f

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I think you're a little late on this topic.

Yes XP SP2 has caused problems for some users.

I believe people who run Norton AntiVirus seem to have the most problems.

XP SP2 Runs fine on my system
    I am running XP Pro

here is what I run on startup

E-Trust antivirus
    Spyware Guard
    SpyBot
    SpywareBlaster
    Ghost
    Seti
    a2Guard

No problems at all.

For those who care

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    Processor Athlon 2600
    Memory 1GB PC3200
    Video Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra 256mb

4. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

Well not everyone is a advanced user bro just trying to help lmao....

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I have installed it one one Dell Desktop with XP Home Edition. I run PC-Cillin Antivirus, SpyBot 1.3 and Ad-Aware 6 and have had absolutely zero problems. As a matter of fact my system seems to run better. Maybe I was lucky because a friend of mine installed it on 2 computers at work and lost the use of several programs.

So I don't know a good answer except to say that I waited until Windows Update Program said it was ready to download it and did it with no problems. I have not installed it on my laptop yet and don't plan to until the Windows Update Program says it is ready for download. I have no earthly idea if that makes any difference or not. I wouldn't think it should but I am far from a computer expert, just barely a novice. This is only my personal experience.

6. CMA G21

CMA G21

It seems that most problems with SP2 are related to the Windows Firewall (now enabled by default).
    Disabling the Windows Firewall (and running a better one) seems to eliminate most of the problems.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It seems to me that Service Pack II exacerbates latent problems already extant in the OS.

I have set up several PC's with SP2, and had no problems... at least with a fresh install....

However, even M$ software like Front Page will refuse to work if it was already installed prior to SP2. I have seen more problems caused by the "Value-Added Features" that are built into an upgrade to SP2 (which seem to manifest themselves from being installed into a well-used XP install) than can be listed here; suffice it to say that you will be better off doing a reinstall if your PC gets messed up to that extent anyhow.

Thus, if you'd like to use the extra features that SP2 provides ( though I personally will continue to recommend a HW router, SpyBot 1.3 & Tea Timer), then your best bet is to do the SP2 update (as well as the SP3a patch!! :~P )as the OS goes in. I unwrapped the ISO, added the SP1a to one file, then recompiled; I added SP2 to the other copy, then burned them to disk in order to slipstream them.

The main advantage to SP2?! The XP Messenger defaults to OFF rather than COME AND GET IT mode!!

The main downsides: you get to reset most networks, esp. LANs, after adding SP2; you will also need to tailor the firewall to allow anything even slightly exotic you may have in mind. Also, the Application Repression feature, which lets crapware install itself but then seeks to prevent it from running afterwards, does need to be disabled to let certain apps run. Ironically, most are M$ APPS!!

BTW, setting your PC to use the same 512MB, 768MB or 1024MB for swap space seems to be the key...as most techs know all Windows versions will occasionally overwrite vital system files with Virtual Memory files if allowed to. So don't allow it to, and you'll reinstall far less often!

Best regards,

FastVFR

8. blacktalon.40sw

blacktalon.40sw

no problems with install and using norton guess i got lucky

9. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Just installed SP2, mine works great as well. :)

10. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I had it kill one machine in the office. But I believe it was because of a plethora of virii, adware, malware, etc. It was on an XP Home notebook that someone took too many liberties on the internet with. Windows had to be reloaded and everything works fine with SP2 installed now.

11. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Bingo.

I've never once had a problem with ANY patch or service pack ever. It's because I'm anal and my PC is well maintained.

If you have a problem with a Service Pack or Patch it's because you already had something wrong and didn't know about it.

12. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

I'm running XP Home and installed SP2 weeks ago. No problems whatsoever with any programs or anthing else for that matter. I use AVG AntiVirus.

13. JMag

JMag

Don't forget that if you want to avoid the SP2 download hassle you can go to www.microsoft.com and order the upgrade CD for FREE. I got mine in less than 2 weeks. It worked just fine and so does my Athlon 64 notebook after installation.

14. Bronson7

Bronson7

I ordered the CD also as I have the poor mans dial-up. After installation and re-boot, the desktop wouldn't load. I un-installed it and ran restore; what followed was weird science so I backed up my stuff, reformatted and installed XP, immediately followed by SP2. I then loaded all my drivers/programs. It now works like a champ. I also ditched Norton's in favor of AVG.
    Bronson7