close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP Pro, Will 2 GB RAM make a difference?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Ok, my main PC is a 2.4 ghz P4 with the following main components:

+ Windows XP Pro
    + 1 GB RAM (2 matched 512MB PC3200 DIMMS, Kingston)
    + NVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card (AGP 8x, 128MB) driving 2 monitors (1600x1200) and (1280x1024).
    + 80 GB SATA HD

I don't do gaming, but I do write software and do some heavy compilations. I did notice a big difference when I went from 1 stick of 512 to two sticks of 512.

Right now, which would be my normal working conditions, with all the apps I usually have running, memory conditions are:

+ Free Memory: 387MB - 37%
    + Page File usage: 620MB - 35%

What is you opinion on another Gig of RAM? Will I notice an improvement, or should a spend that money elsewhere in the system?

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

that will cost, what? like $200 or so? I can't think of anything else that would give you better improvement for the money, unless your system is overheating or something like that.

Do you program in .NET? I've noticed it likes RAM, but is much better than visual studio 6.

3. pyblood

pyblood

Does your motherboard support Dual Channel memory? Are you going to go for 2GB Dual in Channel (1GB x 2) or just add a stick of 1GB. I've noticed that one stick of 1GB is usually more than 2 sticks of 512MB. How many slots to you have on your board.

If your motherboard doesn't support Dual Channel memory or you don't care about running your memory in Dual Channel, maybe you can just add another stick of 512MB to improve performance.

4. Toyman

Toyman

Delphi most of the time, I run VB6 occasionally if I need to fix someone's code.

Yes, it supports Dual Channel. I'm currently running 2 sticks of 512, dual channel. I was planning on putting 2 more sticks of 512 in the other 2 slots. I don't have my MB manual handy (Asus P4C800 Deluxe), but I'm hoping it will run each pair in dual channel.

5. pyblood

pyblood

I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, and according to the manual, you can run Dual channel with 4 sticks of RAM. Here's what the manual says:

For Dual Channel configuration you may:
    install identical DIMMS in all 4 sockets
    or
    install identical DIMM pairs in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (blue sockets)
    and install identical DIMM pairs in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (black sockets)

It looks like you can just buy 2 sticks of 512MB, and you'll gave 2GB running in Dual Channel.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Actually, few apps can take advantage of the extra gig if RAM...most of them will show no improvement and most games will slow down a little.

Video encoding/editing will speed up a little with more than 1GB installed, but that is about it for benefits.

Buy a better vid card, if you want to improve your system. I mean, damn...an FX5200...sorry about that...;g ;P ;Q

7. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

Ditto.

A few years back I bought the best that I could afford, an FX5900, it makes a big difference.

8. nickg

nickg

more ram is always the best first line of upgrade with a system. no app ever slowed down because of "too much" ram.

you may not neccessarily see a vast improvement if you are, say, running word pad typing a document.

but if you were running a full office suite with a lot of apps running, plus your were online, plus maybe you had some utilities running in the background or maybe you are gaming there would be a speed improvement. especially since ram speed is faster than hard drive speed.

anyone who thinks that 512mb isn't any better than 64mb better put down the crack pipe.

of course having a more powerful video card, better sound card, etc. or some other updated driver for a particular product always helps as well.