close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP Pro Upgrade CD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SKeefe, Jun 15, 2006.

1. SKeefe

SKeefe

I have a Windows XP Pro "Upgrade" CD. I already have Windows XP on my computer, and would like to use the "Upgrade" CD to put a fresh installation on the computer (to have a completely clean copy, with all the current files on there to be removed). I chose the "New Installation" option during the Setup of the disc, and when it restarted the computer, it gave me the "which operating system do you want to use?" and the options were "Windows XP Pro" or "Windows XP Pro Setup," so of course I chose the latter.

It then showed me that I already had an existing partition with Windows XP on it, and asked what I wanted to do with it. Since I would like to have a fresh installation, what should I do? I tried to delete that partition, and it wouldn't let me, saying it had "temporary setup files" on it that were necessary for the installation.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It's been a while since I've used an upgrade disk but I remember the same thing.I formatted the hard drive with. something other than a Windows CD.I only had to make it FAT 32 for the reformat,then the Windows XP CD reformatted it in NTFS.I'm not certain because it's been so long but I believe you can use the upgrade disk on a freshly formatted drive if you have an upgradeable Windows disk,i.e. the original Windows Home CD.The upgrade CD will ask for it.Have all your CD product keys and codes available.You can check them and write them down before reformatting the hard drive.

3. pyblood

pyblood

You need to boot from the CD and delete all of your partitions. Boot from the CD and go through the regular stuff. When it comes time to choose a partition to install, you need to dell all of the partitions listed and create a new partition for your clean install.

You will need a CD of a previous version of Windows like 98 to do a clean install of XP Pro.

DC was right about getting your product key. If you don’t have it handy, download the “jellybean key finder” off the web and it will locate you XP key and display it for you.