close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP-Pro license

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RWBlue, Feb 23, 2005.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Sorry for posting this here in the general non-glock section, but I wanted it to get the most attention possible. Moderators please delete or move after a couple hours.

I lost my XP-Pro license. I have the disk, but lost the license. Uggg.

Is there a generic license that works on all XP-pro installs? I don’t think there is, but I have to ask.

Thanks

2. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

If it is the corporate edition you can download a key generator from Edonkey or Kazzaa. The other versions require you to call it in.

Did you register with Microsoft? If you did they might be able to give it back to you. Each new Windows XP program recognizes the computer set.

If you are really desperate I can send you a "Back-up" copy of Windows XP corporate and a key generator.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

call Microsoft..they can give you a new one

4. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

I had a problem with Windows giving me some type of error about "registering too many times" with one key, or whatever. I had burned out a motherboard and HDD, and was installing XP onto my other, older system for the interim, and it wouldn't let me install. So, I called Microsoft, they gave me a different key, all was well.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Bill Gates is the Antichrist, nor do I believe that Microsoft is a real-life Cyberdyne...;f

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

If it's up and running there are several utils which can retreive the key from the registry. Belarc Advisor, for example.

6. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Oh yeah! This is true. You can download a key finder for free. I have one of those too if you have problems finding it.

7. getdown_glocker

getdown_glocker

8. Toyman

Toyman

9. cnarramoore

cnarramoore Just Trollin'

If it is a btand name computer the key should be somewhere on the case.

If you bought the disc and lost the little case for it and cant get the key with a search util. Call MS.

Remember 99% of pirates dont call MS so dont worry about them thinking you are trying to steal it.

10. RWBlue

Thanks for all the help. I want to stay legal (if possible).

It is a new install. Or should I say that the virtual system (VMWARE) that it belongs to no longer exists.

It looks like I lost the paper with the key on it. This time I will write it on the disk like I have done with the other operating systems.

I am not inclined to call Microsoft because I don’t know it I registered this copy as, me, my corporation, the corporation I work for, or if someone else has registered it. (Big mess, when it comes to licenses.)

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I think the idea of using eDonkey is best at this point. I will install it on a sacrificial system so I don’t have to worry about the spyware.

Thanks again.

PS. This has been one big hassle for a test system that will last less than a day once it is built.

11. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

Alot of the corporate licenses on the internet are no longer supported by MS, your windows will become corrupted. Been their done that. ;f

Call MS, also the key is in your registry.

12. RWBlue

Please tell me about how the system will become corrupt.

13. Random

Random Black Nationalist

I do know of two keys that will work. I will look for the website that lists the two. One is extremely well known for being used to activate pirated copies thus was relegated to Pro status with no chance of upgrading to SP1 much less SP2. The other upgrades fine. I'm not advocating their use if your copy is not legit, but I do believe in sharing information so if you want to know where to find the key so you can decide for yourself whether to use them I will post. I think it's best if I wait an hour or two in case someone here disapproves.

14. RWBlue

Please do not post the keys. It has the potential of getting this board in trouble.

If my method doesn’t work, I will go get a CD with the proper license at another work site.

15. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Is it XP Pro or XP Corp? it is important. With a Pro copy you have to call it in. With a Corp edition you don't.

Currently I am doing a Corp key search with my key generator for you. I'll have some keys for you in a little bit.

16. RWBlue

To be honest, I am not sure.

To be honest this is becomming more of a hastel that it is worth.

I am just going to get a known good copy, because if anything goes wrong with my tests I will not know if it is the test or bad key or....

Thanks guys for you help.