close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP Media Center Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Aug 25, 2006.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Is it possible for a copy of XP or files on it to be corrupt when brand new? I was able to finally get my computer up and running, and I got XP MC installed. And yet the install shield program that came with it doesn't seem to work. Because of it, I cant seem to get any of the software that came with my computer installed because I keep getting an ikernel.exe error message. I googled it to see how to fix it, and none of the fixes work, because they all require DLing updated version of install shield, that won't install because my current one wont work. A friend suggested i just reformat and start all over so thats currently what i'm doing(i'm at work now). So once i get home on lunch it should be ready to reinstall XP. Any suggestions incase the install shield doesnt install correctly again?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Which version of Windows Media Center do you have?How old is it?Early versions had problem when SP2 is added.A few other things have to added first and maybe some changes made.

3. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

4. Mighty HD

Mighty HD Got Wax?

If it's brand new return it for another one. I had to do this with a compaq. I ended up getting a Gateway that was 2x better.

5. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

This is with a computer i built in the last few days, not a name brand one.

6. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

I had all kinds of fits trying to install XP Home SP2 on my moms computer. I ended up using the RyanVM shareware that I found accidentally. With the RyanVM program, the XP CD, and a couple of downloads, I was able to generate a new Win XP install cd that had all the post SP2 patches and bug fixes integrated. With the new patched CD I was able to finally get the XP install to go as planned.