close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP Log-on screen...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by stk10767, Feb 3, 2005.

1. stk10767

stk10767

How the heck do you get rid of the Windows XP log on screen when you start up the computer? It's the screen where you have to click on your user name to continue the boot up process. It really ticks me off that I cant just turn on the computer and walk away, I have to wait for this dumb screen to show up to click on my name.

2. stk10767

stk10767

This screen.....

3. ks40sw

ks40sw

I used to have that problem when I was sharing my desktop with my wife. We had 2 user account names plus 1 guest account so when the computer boot up we can select our own profile to log in. Do you have more than 2 user accounts ( your name and guest )in your account page. You can access this page by clicking on the start button then click on the picture next to your name on the popup window.

Next, when the User Account page shows up, click "Home" to see how many accounts you have. I have to delete my wife's account to eliminate that problem. (She don't use my computer anymore because she has her own plus a laptop:) ). So, it might be you have more that 2 user account.

Hope this help.:)

ks40sw

4. berniew

berniew Liberty

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/knox2.mspx

Submitted by Doug Knox, Microsoft MVP, Tewksbury, Massachusetts

You can configure Windows XP to automate the logon process if your computer is not part of a domain.

Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

Click Apply.

Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

Click OK again and you're all done.

This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on. Enabling auto logon makes your computer more convenient to use, but can pose a security risk

5. stk10767

stk10767

Hey, that worked!! I love GT. Thanks ks40sw

6. ks40sw

ks40sw

Great to hear that!.:)

It feels good to help people;K

ks40sw

7. alex954

alex954

I got rid of the standard boot screen and logon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

A better way is to download and install Microsoft's TweakUI Powertoy (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx).

Go to the Logon>AutoLogon section and enter the username and password that you want to automatically logon. This way you can maintain other accounts and the ability to logout or switch users. Additionally, when you DO want to boot to that logon screen you can simply hold down the SHIFT key during system startup to skip the Autologon.

Joey

9. Toyman

Toyman

If you have one user account and no password configured, Windows XP will log you in automatically.

10. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

And leave you wide open to attacks. I hope you don't do any kind of banking/business on that PC.