Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Everybody Lies
5,963 Posts
I never knew for sure until I saw that but I figured you could. What I have found is that if you can get MBAM to install and actually run it will get it cleaned up enough to actually allow an update.

I reccommend AVG or Avast, IMHO both are just as effective as anything you will pay for.

Ive had both and the free ones dont even come close to doing what the ones you pay for will.

on avgs website they pretty much show and tell you this.

Also, avg isnt near as through as norton. I had a computer that had a few nasty virus's and avg couldnt even detect them. (yes it was the most current and updated)

Installed norton and it removed them.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Okay. I'll refrain from my usual diatribe... for now.

I would strongly recommend you set Mum and Pop up with restricted user accounts. Yes I know it's a PITA, but so is having to fix and defend Windows. They can use Run As to execute any of their applications that are still designed to run as admin. It's not a full solution, but since you insist on using Windows XP, it's one more layer of protection.

There... I managed not to say it....

USE LINUX! Sorry couldn't resist!:tongueout:

·
NRA Member
3,238 Posts
Yeah, Run ain't there either.

Thanks everyone for the info. You have restored my faith in humanity (well, at least I am doubting that it was all his fault now).

Sounds like they have critters in their computers for now and that will need to be dealt with.

I can about figure where the crap comes in at and that is chain e-mails from my aunt. Mom thinks that she has to open every one that my crazy-catlady aunt sends her.

Insted of LogMeIn, can I just set up the Remote Assistance thingy?
This may be a reach but did you try running stinger.exe ?

You definitely have to school these folks about not clicking on links from chain emails or responding to anything that is sent to them by people/entities they do not know. I always tell people that nothing is free on the net. The cute emoticons come with strings attached etc. Hopefully they will learn their lesson this time.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
just a thought here......................why dont you buy them a GOOD anti virus program?

The free ones are OK, but they arnt near as good as the ones you pay for.

May I reccomend Norton anti Virus. I cant tell you how much I like norton anti virus. Its a great anti virus/spy ware program.

It alerts you when somethings going on and takes care of all that stuff for you. It even runs the virus scan while your not using the computer or even in the background when you are.

from my expierence, you install the program and it literally runs itself.

Norton has so much more to offer then avg or any other free program.

Its a little pricey BUT how much do your parents spend each time they take it in to get it fixed and the hassel each time.

Now a days, its just a stupid idea to get on the internet without a good virus program.

This is what I reccomend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Norton+...18117578846&skuId=9516561&st=norton&lp=6&cp=1
Oh my god, anything but Norton. Ive seen more spyware get through Norton and Mcafee than anything else. I dont know about the new ones, so maybe its better. Also Norton and Mcafee are memory hogs. I use Avast free and nothing has gotten through that, its also what I recommended to my customers. Sometimes I use AVG, its ok, but I still prefer Avast. For a pay AV I would recommended Kapersky, its supposed to be excellent and its light. Im seriously thinking about paying for this to see how it is, as Ive never used it and they don't have a free version.

The other problem is even thought the AV software says it protects against spyware and malware it doesn't. I dont know how but they can get around the AV programs. You also need a dedicated anti spyware program. I use Ad aware and superanti spyware, for on access scanning, you only need one. Ad aware is a little heavy, but it does a little better at detection also. Ive also toyed with the idea of using a pay antispyware program as generally with those you get a lot more features. I also have malwarebytes installed for on demand scanning.

for the guy having the problem , yes as everyone else has said it is not very common for a malware program to disable system restore are task manager. Also the admin thing your getting is probably because if that also. Its doing that so you cant install anything to get rid of it.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? If that works, try this. Download the norman malware cleaner, just do a Google search for it it should be the first thing that pops up. Download it the day of, because it updates everyday. Download it to a disc or flashdrive from another system if theirs wont let you. Boot theirs into safe mode and run the program, it doesnt need to install, hopefully it finds the bad stuff and gives you back the system restore and task manager. If you get system restore back go back to before they got the maleware and install and run malwarebytes and adware a few times to hopefully get rid of anything else thats left. If that fixes it make sure they have a good AV and antispyware program with on access scanning and ideally automatic updating. The ones I recommended all do that. Hopefully after that you wont have any other problems. If you cant get into safe mode you can run the Norman remover in normal mode and it should still work as long as the malware lets you run it, sometimes they wont let you run anything. It just recommends it run in safe mode.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Ive had both and the free ones dont even come close to doing what the ones you pay for will.

on avgs website they pretty much show and tell you this.

Also, avg isnt near as through as norton. I had a computer that had a few nasty virus's and avg couldnt even detect them. (yes it was the most current and updated)

Installed norton and it removed them.
Interesting. Ive had the complete opposite experience with Norton. Maybe its better now, but ill still stick with what working for me. I think the problem lies in spyware detection, not virus detection. 99.9 percent of the stuff people get now adays it spyware/malware. Yes they are viruses, but they are also different. For whatever reason the AV programs just cant get them all.

·
Everybody Lies
5,963 Posts
Oh my god, anything but Norton. Ive seen more spyware get through Norton and Mcafee than anything else. I dont know about the new ones, so maybe its better. Also Norton and Mcafee are memory hogs. I use Avast free and nothing has gotten through that, its also what I recommended to my customers. Sometimes I use AVG, its ok, but I still prefer Avast. For a pay AV I would recommended Kapersky, its supposed to be excellent and its light. Im seriously thinking about paying for this to see how it is, as Ive never used it and they don't have a free version.

The other problem is even thought the AV software says it protects against spyware and malware it doesn't. I dont know how but they can get around the AV programs. You also need a dedicated anti spyware program. I use Ad aware and superanti spyware, for on access scanning, you only need one. Ad aware is a little heavy, but it does a little better at detection also. Ive also toyed with the idea of using a pay antispyware program as generally with those you get a lot more features. I also have malwarebytes installed for on demand scanning.

for the guy having the problem , yes as everyone else has said it is not very common for a malware program to disable system restore are task manager. Also the admin thing your getting is probably because if that also. Its doing that so you cant install anything to get rid of it.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? If that works, try this. Download the norman malware cleaner, just do a Google search for it it should be the first thing that pops up. Download it the day of, because it updates everyday. Download it to a disc or flashdrive from another system if theirs wont let you. Boot theirs into safe mode and run the program, it doesnt need to install, hopefully it finds the bad stuff and gives you back the system restore and task manager. If you get system restore back go back to before they got the maleware and install and run malwarebytes and adware a few times to hopefully get rid of anything else thats left. If that fixes it make sure they have a good AV and antispyware program with on access scanning and ideally automatic updating. The ones I recommended all do that. Hopefully after that you wont have any other problems. If you cant get into safe mode you can run the Norman remover in normal mode and it should still work as long as the malware lets you run it, sometimes they wont let you run anything. It just recommends it run in safe mode.
dont know how long ago you tried norton, but they fixed most of their problems in last years addition.

im not to sure about the memory part as I have 8 gig.

·
Registered
143 Posts
F8 on startup into safe mode. install update and run full scan of MalwareBytes. 90% of your problems will be gone! Nortons Junk Kaspersky is where its at!

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
just a thought here......................why dont you buy them a GOOD anti virus program?

The free ones are OK, but they arnt near as good as the ones you pay for.

May I reccomend Norton anti Virus. I cant tell you how much I like norton anti virus. Its a great anti virus/spy ware program.

It alerts you when somethings going on and takes care of all that stuff for you. It even runs the virus scan while your not using the computer or even in the background when you are.

from my expierence, you install the program and it literally runs itself.

Norton has so much more to offer then avg or any other free program.

Its a little pricey BUT how much do your parents spend each time they take it in to get it fixed and the hassel each time.

Now a days, its just a stupid idea to get on the internet without a good virus program.

This is what I reccomend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Norton+...18117578846&skuId=9516561&st=norton&lp=6&cp=1

oh nevermind

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
dont know how long ago you tried norton, but they fixed most of their problems in last years addition.

im not to sure about the memory part as I have 8 gig.
So its better now, that's good to hear. I don't think Ive had any experience with 2010 yet. Yeah if you have a lot of memory than its fine. Problem is a lot of people have the "give me the cheapest one you got" computers that basically come with barely enough memory to run windows. I had a system with 512 and XP was horrible on it, I put 2 gigs in it and smooth sailing. I see a shocking amount of systems with 512, considering how badly XP ran on mine and Norton would probably just kill them. Of course if they do have 512 there normally calling me complaining about their system being slow anyway and we eventually put more ram in it, but that's another story. With Vista and 7 its not as bad, yeah they are memory hogs, but the systems they come with generally have at least a decent bit of ram in them because of that. Its the XP systems, especially the older ones that give me the most trouble. I think they have been updating XP lately and its using a lot more memory that it used to. Fine if you have a newer system, but the people with older ones that 512 used to be ok on are having trouble.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts