close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

xd45 reliability?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sureshot, Jan 17, 2010.

1. sureshot

sureshot

im really thinking abt getting an xd45c in the near future but would like to hear what you owners think as far as reliability?
    anyone have one and has shot it extensively?? any issues??
    just want to make sure im getting a pretty reliable shooter before putting down the money. i do plan to shoot mine alot as that is the only way to know if a particular pistol is reliable but again just want to know if there are any issues related to that particular style of pistol that i should be aware of
    thanks
    sureshot

2. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

I had NOTHING but problems with my XD45 tactical, which is a shame because I loved the feel of the gun and could shoot it very well

My XD45 bent a total of SEVEN magazines so badly that they would not drop free when the mag release was pressed. They had to be removed with the weak hand. This was a deal breaker for me as I use my guns for matches and slow mag changes will KILL YOUR TIMES.

What was occuring was that the top round in the mag was being shoved rearward when the slide was moving after firing a shot. It happened with enough force to severely distort the mags after only a few shots.

I sent the gun to SA twice and all that they did was polish the part that the top round rides on and replace my mags - IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE!!

I got fed up and traded for an M&P 45 and have had no problems since.

This problem is well documented and several agencies have seen this in their armories. I feel that the mags are not strong enough. The problem does not seem to exist on the xd's in 9mm or .40 S&W.

I would never recommend the XD45 after my experience.

I like the XD design, but am waiting for some durability results on the XDm's before I get burned again. I would like to buy an XDm9.

3. velodemon

velodemon

Ive got an XD45tac with about 500 rounds through it....Never a hiccup, mags drop free and eats whatever I feed it. One of my favorite guns. :supergrin:

4. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Have not had a problem with my XD .45 Compact after about 2K rounds. No problems with magazines bending/breaking etc. I carry it more often than any other handgun that I own. I even retired all of my Glocks except the 27 and that will be retired as soon as I get a XD 9mm or .40 sub-compact.

I did have to call Springfield because just after I got the gun my firing pin retaining pin fell out. They FedExed me a new one the next day. Never heard ANYBODY complain about their customer service.

[​IMG]

5. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

I agree, I own both XD9 and XD45 both tactical and have not had a problem yet.

6. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

My wife has an XD-40 Service and I have an XD-45 Tactical. Neither of them have had any problems at whatsoever. I like them well enough to recommend them to students that come to the range for qualification when they ask for a handgun for their wives when they mention they have small hands. The XD is an excellent choice for them although even larger size hands have no trouble with the grip either.

7. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Anybody shooting the XDm's that has a high round count yet? I want one bad - Very nice gun. The XD45 I had was one of my favorite guns to shoot - the mag problems almost made me cry. I would buy another XD, just not in a .45.

8. velodemon

velodemon

I've probably got about 700-800 rounds through my XDm 9mm. Not a very high count, but I've had zero problems with it as well.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

This, cmspeedy's experience in post #2, and complaints that if dirt gets into the grip safety that it'll jam up are the only non-positive things I've heard about XDs. I've heard one other example of a person having problems with the firing pin retainer pin.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

my buddy has a XDM9 that he put 9435 thru, he let me borrow it one day and me and my brother in law shot 400 rounds ..my buddy was anal about me writeing down the exact nnumber and types of ammo we shot and record amy FTF FTE we had

was a great gun to shoot if i didnt have the XD9 id get one

11. ftlupton

ftlupton

XDSC .40, no problems here at all, accurate, reliable. Eats all my reloads without fail so far and that is a bunch.

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I liked mine, but it was too blocky and the grip was too short (XD45c). The grip pinched my pinky finger on mag changes. I didn't like it enough to safe queen the G23 for EDC so I traded it for a Sig.

13. rollosan

rollosan

I have an XD-45 with just over 1000 rounds. Never had a problem with things falling off, never had a problem with magazines. It will feed and shoot anything I give it. It is my "go to" weapon of choice for home defense.

14. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

I have an XD-45c.

It feeds good quality 230g FMJs very well, but it has trouble feeding Federal HydraShok HPs.

It is not as reliable as my G30.

It stays in the gun safe for the most part.

15. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I've had this exact same problem with my XD45 service. The problem was with 200grn semi wad cutters. The XD runs fine with everything else that doesn't have the wad cutter lip on the bullet......

After I discovered the problem, it was easy to find ammo that is suitable for reloading for the XD.

hog

16. turbostar66

turbostar66

My little brother has an XDm-40 and we've put quite a few rounds through it.

No problems or jams, but there are two issues that I've noticed:

1) With a full magazine, it is VERY hard to drop the mag using just the release. Usually you have to push UP on the bottom of the mag while simultaneously pushing the mag release. This problem seems to be fairly common. It may get better with use, or you can just leave it one round short of full.

2) Something that bothers my brother (but not me very much) is the issue with chambering a round, then dropping the magazine out, then firing with no magazine. My glocks and other pistols can do it without issue, but his XD almost ALWAYS fires, then jams while extracting the spent casing.

17. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Interesting. Mine was different. They bent with all bullet types. I shot plenty of FMJ, HP's of almost every flavor - Gold Dots, HST(Which also caused other malfunctions), DPX, Golden Sabre, Hydrashok but never any wadcutters.

Every one I shot bent the mags. I could bend it back into place, but it wouldn't last. I could buy new mags - they were bent after one trip to the range.

None of my shooting buddies has any similar problems with the 9's or .40's. I believe it only to be an issue with the .45 and MAYBE IT WAS JUST MY XD45. But I have seen other reports of the same problem on other web sites.

It hurt me to sell that gun as I REALLY LIKED IT!!!

18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I have an XD45 tactical. I have not had one hitch. I do not use my XD for competition, but I've not had any problems whatsoever with it.

My wife uses her XD9 for steel shoots and it has run flawlessly for her.

19. Burncycle

Burncycle

My XD45 service was completely reliable with everything but federal P45HST1, which had several failures to feed.

I also had the issue where the magazines would bend out of shape and fail to drop freely, but only after I shot the P45HST1, which is a +P ammunition. Several hundred rounds of WWB and gold dot did not affect the magazines at all.

I am still very satisfied with it, and in the future will just stick to gold dots :)