XD Question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Adam5, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5

I have a question for XD owners.

If you pull the trigger, then depress the grip safety, will it fire, or does the grip safety need to be depressed first?

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I just tried it with my XD45 Tactical. If you put pressure on the trigger first and then press the grip safety it does release the striker. Since a proper grip can't be had w/o the grip safety depressed that should not pose a problem.

3. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Just tried it on my XD45 service, and my findings are the same as G26S239........striker will be released, if trigger depressed first, and prior to depressing the grip safety.

I sat here and contemplated the implications of this, and although G26S239 is correct about proper grip during normal shooting, there is a remote possibility that this could conceivably be a component of an AD. It could happen, but it's unlikely that anyone would holster a weapon while depressing the grip safety at the same time. In any case, it's still much less likely to happen than with a Glock, or other similar type "safe action" trigger mechanism.

hog

4. Adam5

Adam5

Thanks for the responses.

On one of my local forums we were discussing the idea of carry an unholstered XD sub compact in a jacket pocket.

One of the posters suggested that "lint or pocket debris" could pull the trigger back, then when you gripped the gun it would fire.

I see it as doubtful that lint or pocket debris could pull the trigger, but wasn't sure about the triggen then grip safety aspect.

Personally, I have always pockey carried with nothing in that pocket but my gun and normally with a pocket holster.

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

With a striker fired precocked weapon the pocket holster seems necessary from my perspective.

6. Aceman

Aceman

As always - if your finger was on the trigger and there is a discharge - it was not an accident. It was stupidity.

Just checked mine too - yep, it fires. But I agree - so what?

7. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

If your finger was on the trigger, it was a ND.

Some people don't seem to understand, or accept that there is a difference between a ND and an AD........but, there is a difference.

There is such a thing as an AD, and there is definitely something called a ND as well.

hog

8. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Any loaded weapon, regardless of if its SAO, DAO, DA/SA or striker fired should be holstered if you are carrying it, IMO. Pocket carrying a loose firearm is asking for trouble.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010