close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XD 45 or Glock 20c

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lou1187, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Lou1187

Lou1187

SO Tax return is here and what better way to cellibrate than to buy a new pistol. I want to ask some of you what you think of the new XD 45. I have my mind set on the glock 20c. I dont not have one yet and been wetting myself for years for one. But that XD -45 looks and feels so good in my hand. (feels a bit Better than the glock 20.) When I shot my kimber with Cor Bon 230 +P it is almost to much for me to handle. My question is the hot 10mm loads such as DT, is that gonna be to much for me? I am a bit recoil shy. I am kinda looking more towards the XD. What tdo you all think? Ok I know this is a 10mm board so please be nice!

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Both excellent guns.
    Do you reload?
    There is milder stuff than DT.
    Which feels better in your hands?

Personal choice.

;f

3. Bravo-Four

Bravo-Four 11B3PB4

Go with the G20. Here is why:

1) Higher mag capacity. You potentially can load 18rnds
    into your GLOCK, of a -superior- caliber. .45 is a runner up
    cartridge compared to a 10mm

2) Should you feel the need, you can easily convert your G20
    to both .40SW, and .357sig

3) Ease of operation, it doesnt get any more simple than GLOCK

4) Unless your hands are really too small for it, there is no
    real reason to go with the XD, no reason to settle for 2nd best

XD is nice yes, but unfortunately, nice always isnt best.

4. Lou1187

Lou1187

No I dont not reload. The grips on the 20 dont feel as good as the XD. One more question. Is it easy to change the factory trigger on the glock? Will be the frist thing I do if the i go with the glock.

5. LITTLEMAN151

LITTLEMAN151

why would you want to change the stand glock trigger? 5lb trigger pull is perfect imho.

6. Lou1187

Lou1187

I am use to the LEO trigger that my department has us use. When I use a lighter trigger on my other handguns , I flinch just a little. When using my 239 or Kahr (all with the LEO trigger) I do really well.

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Yes, you can change the trigger.
    It will not be like the Sig 239.
    I have both.
    Ny#1 with the 3.5 connector will be close.

If the G20 fits your hands--OK.

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

The XD looks like a nice setup and seems like it will serve many people well but as they say you cannot get something for nothing.

a couple comments:
    1. that the grip is a good bit longer than the G20/21 (almost as long as a G21 with a +2 baseplate) which might tend to "print" more

2. that the polymer in the grip seems MIGHTY thin.... which might lead to (cracking?) problems down the road

3. the finish looks good, but I still dont like the trigger.

having said that, if you like the XD better, go ahead and jump on it!

9. klmmicro

klmmicro

It sounds like you already have a .45, so a 10mm would add some flavor to the plate. I do not have anything against the older cartridge, but I find it a bit useless for me after starting use of the 10mm Auto. There is nothing the .45 can do that the 10 cannot replicate in terms of sheer energy, penetration and tissue damage. I find the reverse to not be true when you start getting into the top end of the loading scales. The 10 has a flatter trajectory than the .45 if that makes a difference to how you use a pistol. The .45 has more “target” loads available at slightly lower costs (about a $1 per 50 savings). Premium loads are going to cost the same for either.

You say that you are recoil shy, but you can train yourself (or be training) out of that. I have shot .45 and 10mm right next to each other and both generate about the same amount of recoil, just in different ways. I think of it as “push” vs. “snap”. I really do not find either one recoiling harder than the other.

The G20 is probably one of the best platforms for 10mm in terms of taming the cartridge. Ammunition comes in light to heavy load varieties for both cartridges, so you can find a load that suits your tolerances either way. Both pistols would be a good choice, but the Glock is going to be easier to maintain. Every XD I have seen rusts if you don't wipe it down or pay some attention to it. That said, I would still choose the pistol that fits your hand the best.

Have you shot the XD-45 and G20 yet, or just picked them up? If you can try them out first, it would probably make your choice easier. Just a note, the XD does not feel the same “shooting” as a 1911 type platform.

10. bdc

bdc Former Member

Just depends on your personal preferences.

The newest generation of G20s are the best of the G20s if grip size is the issue. The wider rear grip profile is just what is needed for super high power loads of 10mm. 10mm in its standard loadings are superior to 45acp in most any scientific study, and by simple numerical comparisons.

The XD 45 has a slimmer, squarer feel in the hand. 13 round magazine. Remarkable how thin they have made the grip. The XD is in some ways an improved Glock, having almost 2 decades to re-evaluate the Glock revolution. The loadings that would make the 45acp superior to the 10mm are not available in the XP because of the thinness of the barrel. +P loads are OK. (Built on a 40 cal. barrel blank, and a slightly modified 40 cal. frame.)

The 45GAP XD has a 9 round magazine. It is more comfortable oval cross section than the above in my hand. The 45GAP is equivalent to 45acp up to 45acp+P loadings, not close to equal of the 10mm.

Take a look at the new Taurus 24/7 Pro in 45acp. Same limitations of loadings as XPs above, for the same reasons. MUCH nicer more comfortable grip! Double strike capability! 12rd mags. Heinie sights standard! About $100 less expensive than XD or G20!

11. susan28

susan28 already gone..

i shot 10 and 45 back to back and it was like the 45 never left the starting gate in comparison, though it was DT 10mm and just target load 45. still.. and the 1911's heavier, even! personally i think they stay put better - i should say easier - than the Glock to me. 1911's rock in 10mm, they kick straight back and fall right back on target. G20's feel "softer" but the gun tends to fly upward and the lightness means it will wait up there all day without your intervention. 1911's give you a jolt, but when the dust clears, you're looking thru the sights again.

that said, i'm becoming more and more endeared to my G20 with the addition of the DPM recoil reduction system. really flattens the response and the delayed unlocking flattens trajectory! it's worth the price just for the tighter groups! i wrote a review of it here, search on "DPM" and it should come up.

oh and don't forget that you can now get an aftermarket 6" slide for the G20 coming out soon, and people who have the 45/10 version here are in love. if you use the same 45/10 conversion barrel you could have a Longslide G20/21. search this forum on "G21L" too and prepare to drool..