close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Xbox 360: Musings

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by illuminate100, Jan 22, 2006.

1. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

I finally got mine. A friend found out Best Buy had them. They sold him one and said, "Don't tell anyone we have these because this is the last one."

I show up after work the same day, as about the 360, am told by the girl at the counter that, "We don't have any."

I demand to see the manager. Five minutes later she comes back, "Follow me." She leads me to the back of the store. "He just told me to sell you one. Did you want the premium or core package?"

"Premium," I reply. I drop $430 plus another $50 for a second wireless controller. I get home, attach the 20GB HDD, plug it in to the TV with the component (Hi-def) cables, link it to my PC (I don't have Media Center, but you can access MP3s and music from your PC to your 360) and now I have what is arguably the fastest personal gaming machine in the world. 3 processors (3.2 Ghz Power PC cores) and a custom made ATI Graphics Processor.

The catch: I didn't buy any games. I borrowed a bunch. But unles you have money to burn, there's nothing that is a "must" buy yet. Call of Duty 2 is great, but I borrowed it and beat it. Project Gotham 3, amazing. Kameo: visually splendid. The first game I'm likely to pick up is Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced WarFighter and then Splinter Cell 4.

Will the PS3 be more powerful? Arguably it will be. The thing about these next gen platforms is that they are all ridiculously powerful, so it's now a question of developers and software. Any company that pours money into a triple A game is going to have something amazing. My plan, wait in line this time for the PS3, sell it on Ebay and then turn around and buy one with the money I make. Then my wife won't hold it over my head. "Ypu spent how much on video games!!?" jk

By the way, PC gamers, save your breath. I know you'll have an even more powerful system than the 360 soon, but at least mine won't cost $2000-4000!!!;)

Oh, and when Windows Vista is released, I'll be able to stream video and HD media to the 360 thanks to the fact that it'll have built in Media Center functionality. Pretty cool, at least for Geeks.

2. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

My buddy has already on his 3rd one. His first one wouldn't even turn on, the second one would constantly freeze, so far his hird one is working. I see that the Microsfot hardware QC hasn't gotten any better since the first Xbox. He also had 3 Xboxes, but they broke outside of warranty and he had to buy each one.

I too plan to pre-order a PS3 (assuming it will be limited supply) and sell it on ebay for a premium. If for nothing else than to build a gaming rig that will decimate it. ;f

3. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

Too bad...the very FIRST batch I have heard was a bit bug prone, but my friends and I have had 0 problems. Kncking on wood....

4. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Xboxs are easy to fix.

Until the backwards compatibility issue is resolved, there's no reason for me to pick one up. I'd just have to have two systems hooked up still. At least with PS3 it will be fully backwards compatible all the way back.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Off the wall questions (I am not a gamer and last played any computer game several years ago):

* Is it possible to attach a good steering wheel and pedals to one of those new-generation wonders and play good racing simulators, or do you have to use those bizarre finger buttons for everything?

* What kind of monitors do they use? Computer monitors or TVs? Can they plug into an HDTV and use the full resolution? What about dvi connectors? Can they plug into a 19200x1200 monitor through dvi?

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Get Gran Turismo 4 and the Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel.

That is THE setup. The Driving Force pro was designed for Gran Turismo 4 and is of very high quality. It is 900 degrees lock to lock (so you have to hand over hand in the tight corners) it has force feedback that fights back like a real car. Has both button and stick shifter (although the stick is still a sequential setup, just up and down) and even has good feeling pedals.

As far as drvingin simulators GT4 is about as good as it gets.

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I appreciate the recommendation. That is the only kind of computer gaming I am attracted to, to do something I cannot do in real life without getting insane fines. ;f

Can I attach that wheel to Xbox, or do I need to connect it to a regular computer? If Xbox, what kind of display? TV monitor, or computer monitor?

8. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Any TV works. In order to take advantage of the 360's features, it needs to be hooked to an HDTV.

9. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Gran Turismo is only for PS2, not Xbox (sony actually makes the game so no chance of being on another system while there is a Playstation out).

I am not sure if Logitech makes an equivilent model wheel for the Xbox, that might work for Forza (basically Microsofts GT competition, some say it's better, I think it's more or less even), but they may. The setup I recommended is a PS2 only setup. But, having personally owned it, it is one killer setup. The driving force wheel literally lets you feel every ripple of the super-accurate model of the Nurbergring. It is truley amazing. If you are really into that kind of game, I suggest you even buy the system if you have to. You will not get tired of it for years to come, so it will be worth the investment.

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thank you all for comments. I will look into it.