close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

X-Ray Techs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mabgrac, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mabgrac

mabgrac

Looking for a career change. Anyone know how much they make? What the job is really like?

2. kiole

kiole

national average of 50-60k..that's at least what the google told me

3. fwm

fwm

My father was before he died in 1961, but my neice is a doctor in a large metropolitan hospital, and my wife is now a CVOR manager at one of the top 3 ranked CardioVascular hospitals, after working as manager and director at several large area hospitals, and she knows a lot of people.

Xray techs are paid differently at different hospitals and different localities. You might find an 'average' pay scale for them, but it probably won't have much meaning for you, depending on where you are.

I can tell you this, the work is pretty good, but if you work in a hospital (where the pay is better than in a clinic) you will have to take some 'call', but the pay is enough to raise a small family in a modest house in a nice area. You won't get rich on it, but you can make a life.

If you really want to make some money, go to 4 year nursing school and get into surgery. However, Xray tech is a nice job to have

4. smullen

smullen

How long is the schooling?

What is the long term risk to all the ""X-Rays"???

I've been seeing adds on TV and in the papers for schooling on this.... I never really gave it any serious thought, but it maybe somethng to look into...

5. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I am a Nuclear Med Technologist and I can tell you that my field is glutted right now: too many NM techs, not enough jobs across the USA. If you do go into Xray, try to immediately get into CT as well, to make yourself more marketable.

Info on the market, salaries, etc here:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos105.htm

6. speedsix

speedsix

In my town, there are far more techs than there are jobs. A few years ago it was a good job because there was a demand for them but the schools have been turning out 40-50 new grads every year and there just isn't that many jobs. There is no turnover so you have to be willing to move to find a job right now. Sucks. If you had got into this 10 years ago, you would be okay.

7. smullen

smullen

Sucks, sounds like every other position but fast food...

8. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Locally there is a surplus and the schools keep turning them out. Here they make between 10-15 bucks an hour, they are a dime a dozen.

9. TTM65

TTM65

I would notgo with the dime a dozen thought but I would suggest going o a decent school and not a new school which is not proven. The real challenge is when you change fom xr tech to CT or MRI tech. Our hospital pays exp techs 20+ depending on xr,ct ormri and level of exp.

10. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

My wife is an X-ray tech. She is making $23.50/hour, but with weekend differential and being on night crew it ends up being almost $26/hour. But she got in before the school here flooded the town. The school just keeps pumping them out, a lot of them will probably have to move.

She loves her job, but if we were to move she'd probably be out of one... or at least a pay cut.

11. fwm

fwm

The school requirements differ from state to state. I've heard of differences of 16 weeks to 2 years.

Xray techs are pretty well protected from the X-rays. Much better than the patients. I've had to have parathyroid surgery to remove an enlarged parathyroid caused primarily to too many diagnostic X-rays. Now with any X-ray, I need a lead shield for my throat. But the techs are pretty well protected. While my dad was working as a tech he took me up to show me the X-ray room in the new hospital under construction. The X-ray room was shielded on all four walls, floor and ceiling by a lead sheet. The techs are never in the room when the machine is hot, and they wear a badge that documents their exposure. My dad's badge never showed any more exposure than someone working outside in the sun.

I am not sure how many jobs there are in your area. Another thought, my son went to 16 week HVac courses and now works in maintenance for a large hospital. He loves the job. No call, decent pay, gets to work with his hands.