Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near Richmond, VA two men were walking past a pizza place in the city when a group of men attacked them. One of the men in the group, in his infinite wisdom, videotaped the whole thing and posted to video online. Now police are using it to track them down.

Here is an article about the incident:
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13930920

The video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzCKGp3UNU&feature=player_embedded

My question is, what would you do if you had your weapon on you? After the first man was attacked, do you think you'd have time to draw before the others had you on the ground? It all happened quite quickly and I'm wondering to myself what I would have done.

Also, this is my first post :supergrin:

·
Florist
20,082 Posts
A good reminder that even having a gun does NOT mean that from now on you will always be safe and protected.

·
Banned
5,237 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but it looked like there was plenty of time to effect a different outcome.

Then again, the NBC video appears to indicate that at least one of the 'hit vics' is the type who goes around operating in Condition White, even when playing on the wrong side of the tracks. (Not much hope for anything in that case...)

Otherwise, ya gotta love it whenever the perps finger themselves. (So to speak...)

:patriot:

·
Instructor #298
3,644 Posts
As much commotion as the assailants made before closing in on the victims, any situational awareness at all, efficient firearm use, and simple use of avaiable cover would have resulted in attackers bleeding out before they could deliver any blows.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but it looked like there was plenty of time to effect a different outcome.

Then again, the NBC video appears to indicate that at least one of the 'hit vics' is the type who goes around operating in Condition White, even when playing on the wrong side of the tracks. (Not much hope for anything in that case...)

Otherwise, ya gotta love it whenever the perps finger themselves. (So to speak...)

:patriot:

Watching the video again, I would have to agree. There was quite a bit of time that he could have vacated pronto as the perpetrators did not make any attempt to quell the level of noise prior to attack.
In this instance, I think brandishing from a distance might have been enough to disrupt their plans. I am just guessing that the attackers were not armed - just a wild guess.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks like that's near Bottoms Up pizza, great place for some grub.

It's easy to play armchair qb after the fact, but would imagine I'd be in a major fight or flight mentality as soon as I realized the numbers.

·
NRA Member
339 Posts
I would just reload. Dead men can't tell their side of the story.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Ya, gun in that situation is an easy win for the good guy, the telegraphed the attack from a mile away, making situational awareness that much easier, that would be one sorry trio if I were the guy they'd attacked.

·
Instructor #298
3,644 Posts
Thank you. I've been lurking around here for a while, learning a lot. I saw this and was questioning what I would have done differently so I figured I would get your guys' input.
1. Check self for rectal/crainial inversion and correct if necessary, so that you see/hear things happening around you.
2. Maintain space far from potential threats.
3. Move so as to place large objects such as cars between yourself and potential threats.
4. Shoot threats when left with no alternatives. Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Draw and advice the first person who made a move got their *** shot off.

Luckily I live in a stand your ground state. I shouldn't have to run away because of anyone. I have a right to walk around safely, period.

·
Banned
5,237 Posts
Thank you. I've been lurking around here for a while, learning a lot. I saw this and was questioning what I would have done differently so I figured I would get your guys' input.
As you can see, scenarios like the one you referenced can draw a wide variety of responses. Basically, it's a case of 'too many cooks.' (Including me...)

In such situations, I think about all one can hope to gain in terms of useful guidance is a good grounding in the basics. (And/or formal training, if you have the inclination and means, but that's another topic unto itself...)

Toward that end, I would recommend a little 'lite reading' in the form of Principles Of Personal Defense by the late Jeff Cooper. It says little or nothing about 'shooting' per se, but it is probably as good a place to start as any, and you can read it in one sitting.

HTH :wavey:

·
Instructor #298
3,644 Posts
Draw and advice the first person who made a move got their *** shot off.

Luckily I live in a stand your ground state. I shouldn't have to run away because of anyone. I have a right to walk around safely, period.
Just because you can legally stand your ground does not mean that you should. Using cover wisely can sometimes mean not using the same cover for very long, especially when facing multiple bogies.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts