close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WW2-Who was most responsible for the win?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hussell_Crowe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hussell_Crowe

Hussell_Crowe

I have a fascination with WW2, reading up on the battles, the strategy what not. I know there are far more educated people on the subject, which is why I asked.

Which country contributed the most to the downfall of Germany in WW2? would it be the Soviet Union? with their success in operation bagration? the british? with their dominance in the air and sea? or the USA, with their resolve, and well produced machinery?

2. 427

US war production and strategic bombing defeated germany.

Joseph Stalin during the dinner at the Tehran Conference 1943

3. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

The US was. By the time 1944 rolled around we were the only ones left with the resources available to pull off Normandy, Bastogne, Berlin, etc.

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
    [​IMG]

4. HiddenEyes

HiddenEyes It can be done

As you dig deeper you'll realize just how much the US did to win that war. It is scary to think what the world would be like if we had waited longer or tried to stay out altogether. Hitler was willing to exterminate millions to keep his agenda on track.

I don't diminish in any way the efforts of the British Or, for that matter, the French Resistance, Dutch Underground and Polish Underground to name just a few. They fought bravely and nobly in face of certain death if caught. I'm glad we could help them, it was the right thing to do.

Mr. HE:cool:

5. CAcop

CAcop

It was a one-two punch. Soviets with their manpower and Americans with their industrial capacity.

6. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

WWII was Detroit's and California's Shining moment

7. chickenwing

chickenwing

This.

8. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Another reason why it is imperatve that we mantain our manufacturing capability.
    I still find it interesting to see M-1's that were made by (in addition to others) the Singer Sewing Machine Co.:wow:

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

M1's were only made by Springfield, Winchester, Harrington and Richardson, and International Harvester. If you want to see something interesting look up the Liberator pistol. It was the only pistol ever made that took longer to reload then it did to manufacture.

Without the British resolve there would have been no place to springboard the invasion of Europe and the atlantic would have been much more treacherous then it was. Every part of the Allied world contributed in some way to the defeat of Germany, without each part doing what they did the outcome could have been a failure at any time.

The French Resistance delaying the Das Reich division by blowing up key rail infrastructure on Overlord gave the invasion forces time to prepare without having an elite German SS division breathing down their necks. The British SOE gave them the supplies as well as the instruction to do that job. Heck even Hollywood got into the act with the fake allied army right across from Pas de Calais.

10. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

And to put a finer point on it: Only Springfield and Winchester made M1's during WWII. H&R and IH Garands were post war production, though many of these saw action in Korea and beyond.

edited to add: BTW - at peak wartime production Springfield Armory was turning out 164 M1 Garand rifles... per hour!

To HarleyGuy's point: Singer did make (a few) M1911 pistols, along with a handful of other manufacturers. A mess of folks got into the act of making M1 Carbines, including IBM (yes, THAT IBM) and Rockola, the juke box guys.

The whole story of WWII mobilization and arms production is an amazing saga.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  11. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Hard to point at one country, but the USA and Soviets were obviously the biggest contributors to the final victory.
    Knowing what the Nazis were about to do thanks to breaking the Enigma code sure helped as well.

12. clancy

clancy

Without the industrial capacaity of the US, the Soviet Union would have hard an even more difficult time beating Nazi Germany, but there is no doubt in my mind that eventually the Soviets would have won. Stalin was willing to lose as many millions as necessary to do so. As far as the war in the Pacific, that was pretty much the United State's victory, with a bit of help from Great Britain and Australia.

13. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Hitler's dumbassed decision making.

14. Vincine

Vincine

I had an online acquaintance who teaches military history at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. She really knows what she’s talking about. She says while all of the effort counted, the biggest single piece was American Studebaker trucks sent to the Soviet Union. That, and the mistakes the Nazis made.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

you folks who dig this stuff really need to come down to nola and visit the ww2 museum.

16. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

This is exactly as I've always seen it.

17. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

I agree.

Lend Lease bought the Soviets time. After their ball got rolling, nothing was going to stop them.

The invasion of France was a land grab by the Allies because Stalin was going to be diddling his toes in the English Channel if we didn't invade.

18. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

They opened that museum after I left...sure wish I could have gotten to see it.

Thats now two things I miss about NOLA...the food and the WW2 Museum!

19. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

I've read a lot of WW2 history and don't remember much about British sea and air superiority! The USA won that war with our soldiers, sailors and airmen and all the ships and planes we gave to the Brits.

Sent from my Ally

20. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

The USA. The Brits would be speaking German today without us.

Sent from my Ally