close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WTT: Autographed Carroll Shelby Exoto Daytona Coupe

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by Marko, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Marko

Marko

Okay, I know there are quite a few gearheads amongst us gun nuts (err, I mean, firearms enthusiasts). And I bet within that group, there are a large number of Carroll Shelby fans.

I've got a first edition, limited run, now retired, 1/18th scale Shelby Daytona Coupe from Exoto that was autographed by the legend himself.

If you're not familiar with Exoto, they make extremely authentic and highly detailed replicas of famous race cars, mostly in 1/18th scale --- much more refined than Franklin Mint, in my opinion.

As many of you know, Shelby's team designed the hugley successful Daytona Coupe in 1964 to compete on the longer European circuits, in place of the open-air Cobras which were at an aerodynamic disadvantage to the likes of the famous closed cockpit Ferrari cars.

The #5 car was driven by Dan Gurney and Bob Bondurant to victory at the 1964 Twenty-Four Hours of Le Mans. When Exoto released their version of this classic, they won Model of the Year. The detail is impressive, including real machined valve stems on the wheels, wire mesh in the vents, individual header pipes and spark plug wires, the original tread design on the rubber tires, and a beautiful hand rubbed paint job.

The car is heavy and definitely does not feel like a cheap toy. Very substantial. It was only made in limited numbers and then it was retired. The MSRP when new was $298. Because of the rarity and its retired status, Exoto recently had it listed on their website at $798! (www02.exoto.com/Cashier/C...odel1=12).

While that is a ridiculous price, its true market value has remained a bit above MSRP. My particular car is just as it left the factory, and has only been out of the box long enough for Mr. Shelby to autograph its roof. I'd like to think that his signature makes the car that much more desirable.

So, what am I looking to get out of it? While I'm open to listening to offers for trade on interesting firearms, what I'm really looking for is a quality wrist watch. Something cool, visually appealing, masculine, unusual, etc. Dive watches, pilot watches, chronographs, and the like from Citizen, Seiko, Luminox, or similar companies (I was recently given a Luminox 301 Night Ops with black face for Christmas --- very pleased).

I've included pictures of the car without the autograph. I'll try to get the autographed version posted soon.

Thanks for looking and take care,
    Marko

[​IMG]

[​IMG]