WTK: Is Glock 17T (Trainer Blue Gun) considered a firearm?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Spreadfire Arms, Oct 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Spreadfire Arms

Spreadfire Arms

i am obtaining a Glock 17T (simunition gun trainer) and i have heard that the frame will accept a standard G17/22 slide/barrel top end and thus would function as a regular pistol. but then i also got on another webpage and that poster said that the feed ramp is lower on the frame or something accomodate the off-centered simunition barrel.

i'm wondering if ATF considers the training gun to be an actual firearm, and if so, is it considered a pistol because it can accept the 9mm/40/.357 SIG top ends? interesting if it does.

any informaton would be appreciated. thanks.

2. martin-curtis

martin-curtis

The frame will accept top ends from what we were told in my armorers school.
    Hope this helps yah.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yes, it is considered a firearm, it can and does fire lethal projectiles. Heck, the red guns are also considered to be firearms, and they don't fire any type of ammo.

Although the parts in the frame are certainly not usable with a normal live ammo 'upper', I do believe that the correct parts could be installed.

4. GRR

GRR

The frame is the gun. If it will fire live ammo ATF would consider it a firearm.

5. johnd

johnd

Yes it is a firearm.
    It is also a restricted possession item that may get you in some trouble if seen with it. They are sold FETOUT only to LE Departments for Departmental use ONLY. Thus, private possession may not have paid the Excise Tax due. Departments may have sold one or a few here and there but that violated their Simunitions Training agreement so they are in trouble there too in that respect.
    You also cannot get ammo for it ( or not supposed to be able to)...its a special 9mm cartridge that will not fire nor chamber in a regular weapon and vice versa.

6. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

The fact that it shoots a projectile isn't the decisive factor. It's the frame - we purchased a 17r which is the red reset gun for our Judgement simulator.

It's a non-functional weapon in that there is no firing assembly and the breech block is solid and can't even be modified to fire. It comes with real mags and a real bbl but we had to go through normal channels just as any other firearm we purchase.

7. MrOldLude

MrOldLude

How special?

http://www.andersen.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/080730-F-9899G-019.JPG

Realistically, it appears as if a reloader with a couple tools could make a chambering and lead firing cartridge relatively easily.