close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WTH is an entry level rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by garya1961, Oct 10, 2017.

1. garya1961

garya1961

I keep hearing the M&P Sport II and Ruger 556 being called entry level rifles. What does that mean? Do I need to spend a $1000 on it to make it a real rifle? What is the AR15 suppose to do that one of these rifles wont do?
    I have the M&P Sport II and it does everything I could want an AR to do. It's a light easy to maneuver carbine that will outshoot most military style rifles I own. Just because someone spent $1500 on an AR doesn't mean my Sport II is any less effective at the job they were intended to do.
    If I wanted a 600 yard sniper rifle I wouldn't start with an AR anyway and I'm not going to strap 5 lbs of gadgets on my 6 1/2 lb rifle either. I think I'll just keep my "entry level" rifle as is and let it do the job it was designed for.
    Anyone else like their "entry level" rifle the way it came from the factory?

2. PNine64

PNine64

Hmmm...trying to think of something I haven’t tinkered with.

hairy1harry and MO Fugga like this.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I buy all the low end entry level rifles then add or change out factory pieces for aftermarket. I've managed to take rifles shooting inside two inches at 100 yards and make them shoot inside of two inches at 300'.

4. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

You could say the same thing about a car, too. It has four wheels, dives from point A to point B. But there is a difference between an entry level car and one with more options.

I like air-conditioning. :)

Entry level simply means that it is priced lower than other rifles that may or may not have more features. The M&P Sport II is a DI gun - not piston. It doesn't have ambi-controls or a 2-stage trigger. It has about as basic of furniture you can put on a rifle (which is OK - just examples is all).

It is not wrong by any means. But there are better rifles out there if you want to spend more money.

Toby196, badge315, WarEagle32 and 8 others like this.
  5. RaiderSE

RaiderSE

I like my Ruger AR-556 ,in fact so much I bought an AR-556 MPR. The only thing I did the the first AR-556 was a Magpul forearm cover. the MPR is stock and will remain that way.

sr1sws, Bozz10mm and garya1961 like this.
  6. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I consider it as follows:

Any gun, rifle, shotgun, handgun that is a good economical gun for; a) a beginner just entering the sport who may (or may not) want to upgrade or trade up later b) the guy who enjoys tinkering, making modifications, etc...; c) or anyone, regardless of skill level who simply wants a good working gun without spending an arm and leg. For that person, it may be all they ever want or need.

When I hear the term "entry level" I think of guns such as:

Ruger 10-22
    S&W M&P Sport II or Ruger equivalent
    Ruger American centerfire, Savage Axis, etc...
    CZ 452 or 455 for a rimfire target shooter (as opposed to an Anschutz)
    Ruger Mark series rimfire
    Browning Citori, possibly a used field grade to a guy experimenting with skeet or trap in the early stages

hogship, Emmalee and mrasgt like this.
  7. JArthurD

JArthurD

My entry level rifle was called “Daisy”

Sounds like you may be reading too many of the articles in Guns and Ammo. Being elitist is the biggest complaint they get. They condescend to guns that cost less and they over-inflate the features of rifles most of us really can’t afford and may never own.

8. garya1961

garya1961

The Sport II and Ruger 556 along with a few other low cost ARs are darn good rifles as is. Saying they are entry level rifles implies that they need modifying to be good rifles and they don't.

Glockworks, hogship, moeman and 10 others like this.
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

It generally means basic.. Its like ordering a car with hubcaps, AM radio and no floormats. It will still get you there

10. garya1961

garya1961

It's a light weight carbine, it's suppose to be basic.
    I have nothing against anyone modifying their rifle in any way they want but I think the Sport II is a good rifle as is not just a good entry level rifle.
    I wonder if Hillary had won and they were selling for $1200 a piece would people still call them an entry level rifle.

11. AZ_Wildcat

AZ_Wildcat

Delete

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  12. Gen IV

Gen IV

13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Entry level Rifle? Are we talking about Rifles or AR's? Since this is posted on the general firearms forum it might be useful to remind people that AR's aren't the only kinds of rifles in existence. I think a good bolt action is a better entry level rifle. You'd be surprise at how little ammo you use when mag capacity is only five rounds or less compared to 20 rounds or more.

And of you want a rifle that's accurate out to six hundred yards and lethal on game at that range you'd be surprised at how much better a 6.5 Creedmoor or .308 chambered rifle does at that range compared to a 223.

And there's a whole WORLD of rifles out there that you AR guys probably never knew existed, There's the old browning BAR's in 300 and 7mm and even 338 mag, And the elegant Ruger number 1 single shots, There's lever actions like Winchester and marlins and savage 99's, and the older Remington pumps.

Most of the best guns are no longer being made anymore but there are plenty of old ones that are still in nice condition and now's the time to buy them while they're still around.

But here's an entry level rifle for you that you can buy new for only $600 dollars. A Savage Model 10 FCP-SR Bolt Action Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor. The Ammo Hornady makes for these rifles is affordable and extremely accurate.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+FCP-SR+Bolt+Action+Rifle+6.5+Creed+24\+Threa

[​IMG]

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

An
    An entry lever rifle is a regular AR, interchangeable with all of the other M4 copies on the market today, but without one of the cool names that the fat guys in black BDU's like to toss around down at the gun shop like they are name-dropping celebrities they've met.

15. Jammersix

Jammersix

I've always thought that an entry level rifle or handgun was one that was easy to shoot, so that a beginning student who has never shot such a weapon before can pick it up and, with a minimum of instruction, shoot it safely to a minimum standard, without killing anyone who is not the target.

The M16, incidentally, was designed to be just such a weapon, among other criteria.

A counterexample, a weapon that is not an entry level weapon would be something like the S&W 500 or the .444 Marlin.

cougar_ml and mj9mm like this.
  16. DrewBone

DrewBone

"Entry level" - a fairly recent manufacturer coined phrase used to intentionally provide potential customers with the cheapest option with the least amount of features, while at the same time psychologically enticing those very same potential customers to spend more money on their higher level offerings that provide more expensive/better/sexier features.

In the past before the phrase "entry level" was even coined, standard firearms were the staple of the firearms industry, easily taking game, stopping predators, and providing home/self protection, and they were plenty good enough then, just as they are now. How many plain Jane Mossberg 500 combo's do you think are out there? What about Remington 742 rifles? How many birds and deer do you think have been taken by both? Tons.

The industry has gone bat (ding) crazy with options, and that's a good thing, but not everyone needs or even requires a decked out $3,500+ AR15 to punch holes in paper at the local 50 yard range.

So take anything reported to be "entry level" with a grain of salt, and consider your personal requirements as your only criteria and guide for your purchases.

17. DrewBone

DrewBone

Selfie much? LOL!

18. rfd339

rfd339

Should've called them "base" rifles like trucks and cars in the automotive industry. I own M&P sport ll. Love it, It's been a accurate and reliable rifle. It's a base rifle without the hi-pro stuff added. It was good for me because I added what I wanted and I'm not using it for any competition use. Just HD and range. Plus I didn't own one other than my colt I carry for work.

19. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

H
    Hell, I have a M&P Sport, not even a II. No forward assist or dust cover. Great rifle. If I had to grab it in a SHTF situation I wouldn't feel under-gunned at all. I do have other, more expensive rifles that are better, but nothing wrong with the M&P.

Toby196, kvo45acp, NiteGoat and 3 others like this.
  20. AZ_Wildcat

AZ_Wildcat

Please explain how in the name of hell those are selfies? We tend to take pics at the range...and? My daughter is the greatest culprit. She has video of me at damned near every match I have shot over since she got her first phone with a camera.

Besides...don't I see: "Useless without pics" a lot?????