WTF news, warrent issued over $.01

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by diggy485, Apr 7, 2010.

1. diggy485

diggy485

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Land of the free lol

3. Altaris

Altaris

Ah, got to love the government efficiency. I wonder how much time and money was spent issuing the warrant for his 1 penny. And these are the people we want to run our healthcare. :upeyes:

4. timbob

timbob

I'd probably go to jail when they served that warrant because I'd be sure to tell someone to kiss or suck something as the cuffs went on.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Sure doesn't sound like he was almost jailed.

The whole thing is pretty stupid, though.

6. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

I'd have said yes. :tempted:

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Uh, if the cuffs are going, you are already going to jail for the warrant. That's what arrest warrants are all about. The arresting officer almost never knows why the warrant was issued, just that it exists. Sometimes it will specify something along the lines of "failure to pay fine", but usually it just has the original charge on it, and doesn't have detailed information from the court file. Of course, it is also likely that the bail on the warrant will be equal to the unpaid fine balance, and no cop will bother serving a warrant with one cent bail. Unless the defendant gets all redassed.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sometimes dumb **** happens to the best of us.

9. timbob

timbob

My time, my right to privacy and my right to not to be bothered by petty, insignificant things; these are very important to me.

I would hope that any trained law enforcement official would take as much as possible into consideration before slapping cuffs on me, at my home or place of work-- anywhere.

Don't waste my money or my time, definitely not at the same time. ;)

I am a free man in a free country. I have no disrespect for law enforcement. I see the above incident as nothing short of, say, your electric company threatening you with cancelling your service or sending out excessive notices/phone harassment over a $0.01 balance.

Any company/entity engaged in such practices needs to get their act straightened up. The tax payer cost of that warrant and all relevant necessities can easily be compared to sending out $0.50 in postage/paper for the $0.01 balance, etc.

10. badr1

badr1

I got arrested 10 years ago for a warrant and for driving under suspension for a computer screw up. I was driving back to the base in MD I was in southern ohio and got pulled over, the trooper said my license was suspended and I had a warrant for failure to appear? I was taken to jail overnight and my car was impounded. the next morning the judge told me it was for a ticket I had recieved for speeding 1.5 years older which I had paid. He then told me if I paid it and could prove it he would drop the charges. I went to the town where I got the ticket after being released, they found the error. The clerk put my payment in the notes but never posted it :faint: I went back to court the next day and showed the judge the reciept from 1.5yrs earlier. he dropped the charges, But not before I spent a night in jail, had to call my duty officer @ 1am to report I was in jail and wouldn't be back in the am and needed a couple extra days of leave (turns out they don't like that).

So all in all it cost me 2 days of leave, $280 impound fees, $50-$60 fuel running around getting documents, $120 to get my license reinstated, and a night in jail. All because a clerk in St. Clairsville,Ohio was lazy :steamed::steamed:

11. timbob

timbob

^ This.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:wow: I guess it's not the money just the principle at play...

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

It sounds like you don't know that a warrant of arrest is a court order. The first line is "To any peace officer: You are commanded to apprehend...". Failure to serve a confirmed warrant can be construed as contempt of court. Also, officers on patrol have no access to court files. Do you think that if I pull someone over for a traffic violation, run a warrant check and they come back with a warrant, I should call the court clerk's office and have them pull the file, read it to me and I'll decide there on the side of the road if the judge was correct in issuing the warrant?

I agree that issuing a warrant for one penny is as CS as it gets, but your beef should be with the issuing entity, not with the officer serving it.

14. timbob

timbob

If all it takes if a phone call, then yes I would expect that before being arrested and having my time and/or money wasted. I'm really, very honestly not trying to be a smart-***, just duly trying to express my point that I enjoy my freedom. I'd rather sit for fifteen minutes for clarification, especially if I was adamant about the recollection of paying the fine or able to provide partial evidence for it, if it corrects the situation.

Going back to my analogy, if a technician showed up at your house to turn off your electricity and you were adamant about having paid your bill and could provide reasonably solid evidence, I bet you'd tell him to kiss your *** if he ignored you and shut it off anyway, though he could have taken the time to call the office and realize it was all over a penny.

I'm not one to shoot the messenger (you've gotta trust me on that :)), it is more or less regarding the concept of consideration.

Technician goes back to the office and is questioned about why he didn't shut off a particular customer's power. What do you think happens then?

15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Thug: What you in for?

Luis: Owed the county a penny.

Thug: Dang, that's hardcore.

16. diggy485

diggy485

really sucks when others mistakes cost you your time and hard earned money.. i had an incident where a girlfriends ex pressed BS charges against me. It was on my b-day one year, and i was with family and friends all day. I was arrested, and i had to go to court for several pre-trials, which took time out of my day. It ended up taking a year, and $1,000+ before the charges were dropped. I had more than 20 people that day that could have said that it was BS, cause i was with them all day.. But no.. i got raked for something i didn't do.. and a lawyer told me i could counter claim to recoup what i lost, for $2,500..UGH:steamed:

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Officer makes phone call, determines in his overarching legal wisdom that the warrant shouldn't have been issued, lets the defendant go, returns to station. Officer is hauled into court himself as a defendant, answering a charge of contempt of court, because it turns out that the warrant was lawfully issued and that the judge knew what he was doing. Recently, an officer here wound up in the same situation because he declined to make an arrest in the field as commanded on the warrant, and released the person with a citation and a court date. My understanding is that the officer came very close to being an inmate.

Review of judicial decisions is left to the higher courts, not to patrolmen. That's how it works, and always has.

18. Puppy

Puppy

I wonder what George Washington & Thomas Jefferson would say about this.

19. timbob

timbob

Can't argue with that. .

20. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Considering how much our government has become so intrusive and opressive, I'd guess that a tachometer on each of them would say about 3,500 RPM. :steamed: