close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WTB M4 barrel

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by -, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Guest

I am in the market for a postban M4 barrel that is thin under the handguards. I would also like it to have a permenantly attached muzzle break but it isnt neccesary.

2. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Have you tried Bushmaster? They made my M-4 barrel with no bayonette lug but left the threads so I could permanently mount a KKF post-ban muzzle brake.

3. Guest

Doesnt the threads on the end defeat the purpose of buying a post-ban barrel? If I screwed a muzzle break on the end of the barrel wouldnt that be classification of fastening be, removable?

Things to dwell on....

Yes, I have checked bushmaster and all other quality makers of AR parts. I did so in order to know what a decent price would be to pay for one on equipment exchange or the wanted ads.

4. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

I found more choices for muzzle attachments for threaded barrels than postban-style so I opted for a threaded barrel. Also, just because the barrel is threaded, that does not mean the gun will be illegal. In fact, my threaded KKF brake includes instructions for mounting on barrels that will be used in post-ban applications.

My KKF brake is screwed on...true, but there is more. The threads were treated with some kind of adhesive. I can't remember the name but it is quite toxic and similar to what is used on F-15 pylon preload pads (for you former F-15 guys). That stuff sets so hard that the only way to get it, and what it has glued together, off is to grind it off. The barrel is then drilled through the set screw hole just far enough so the set screw goes into the barrel a few millimeters. The set screw is then run down and REALLY tightened. The hole for the set screw was then welded over and refinished. Let me tell you, there is no way that brake is easily coming off. It is probably just as hard to remove that brake as a brake designed and installed on a pure, post-ban barrel. I would say it is permanent and meets the letter of the law.

5. Guest

I think when they say permenant they mean more than some state of the art epoxy, no matter how strong. Although the epoxy would probably set to were you could never remove the muzzle break/comp. So permenant to me equals either welding or silver solder.

Look at the postban barrel they typically have a crown on the barrel, right? Why dont they have threads? Because they are postbans, correct? How are breaks/comps attached? There are several but here are a few: blind pinned, set screws, welded, or soldered.

Go ahead and put a threaded barrel on your postban lower, I am not.

6. Guest

After completely reading your post. You have convinced me you break is permenantly attached.

7. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

"Go ahead and put a threaded barrel on your postban lower, I am not."

Okay dude, you forced me to show you a letter from the ATF concering threaded barrels, permanently attached muzzle brakes, and postban rifles.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    Washington, D.C. 20226

JUN 18 1998 F:FPD:FTB:RAT

Dear Mr. :

This refers to your letter of March 31, 1998, in which you ask
    about permanently attaching a muzzle device to various firearms.

A muzzle device, such as a muzzle brake or barrel extension, which
    is attached to a barrel by means of welding or high temperature
    silver solder having a melting point of at least 1,100 degrees
    Fahrenheit, is considered to be part of the barrel for purposes of
    measurement. A seam weld extending at least one-half the
    circumference of the barrel or four equidistant tack welds around
    the circumference of the barrel are adequate for this purpose.

A firearm having a muzzle brake, cap, or barrel extension
    permanently attached by those same methods to cover the threads on
    a barrel, would not be considered to have a threaded muzzle.
    Please note, however, that any muzzle device or barrel extension
    which functions as a flash suppressor or grenade launcher would
    still constitute one of the qualifying features of a semiautomatic
    assault weapon as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section
    921(a)(30(B). Industrial adhesive products are not an acceptable
    method for permanently attaching a muzzle device.
    - 2 -
    Mr.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
    If you have further questions concerning this matter, please
    contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Edward M. Owen, Jr.
    Chief, Firearms Technology Branch