close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WSJ Poll: Americans Losing Faith in College Degrees

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ramjet38, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

According to the Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, only 49 percent of Americans now believe that a four-year degree will lead to a good job and higher lifetime earnings. An overwhelming 47 percent claimed that they don’t believe a four-year degree will increase job and earnings prospects.
    Americans are increasingly concerned about the rising costs of an education. Student debt totals have reached $1.3 trillion, and millions have fallen behind on student-loan payments.

“I have friends from high school that are making half what I’m making, and they went and got a four-year degree or better, and they’re still $50-, $60-, $70,000 dollars in debt,” 32-year-old Jeff McKenna said, who passed on college in favor of trade school. He earns $50,000 a year as a mechanic. “There’s a huge need for skilled labor in his country.”
    http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/09/08/wsj-poll-americans-losing-faith-in-college-degrees/
    Plus they're an indoctrination camp for juviniles.

2. Powder

Powder

Depends on what degree they get....

I went to IBEW electrical apprenticeship. Cost was free, they found me a job, and haven't been out of work since I started 10+ years ago.

I'll never be "rich" but won't have a problem finding a job making $50k+.....

Mall Ninja, sombunya, treg and 13 others like this.

3. IvanVic

IvanVic

College has become a right of passage more than a useful, practical application of knowledge. College is great for people who major in things like finance, accounting, CS, engineering, math, etc. Not so great for majors that have no clear career path.

Employers are just as guilty. Many jobs require a four year degree, just for the sake of having a four year degree. I'm talking about jobs that require no specific skill set. Why? It's an antiquated understanding of what college is. It does not make one well rounded or smart.

Kbheiner, mc1911, Mall Ninja and 8 others like this.
  4. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

The current market for graduates with Bachelor of Multi-Cultural Gender Fluid Ethnic Studies is rather limited.

Other than telling your potential employer that you can read and write and possibly become educated at some point in your life, it really doesn't offer a whole lot. You know what I'm saying?

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. Maxw

Maxw

I was a VP of an electronic company and reviewed thousands resumes/applications and interviewed hundreds for professional and line personnel. Recent college grads with liberal arts degrees were worthless and many STEM degree holders did not want to actually work and show up on time. Give me military NCO's and ET's anytime.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

College degrees are worthwhile if you don't study some useless bull**** crap and don't go into massive loan debt. That should be evident but apparently many of today's college students are too brainwashed and stupid to grasp simple facts.

Agonizer, sombunya, Valmet and 6 others like this.
  7. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

"Other than telling your potential employer that you can read and write and possibly be educated, it really doesn't offer a whole lot. You know what I'm saying?"

Based on many of the self-described college graduates on this and other forums, not many can read or write adequately.

For the first 25+ years of my career, I worked in an environment where most people had degrees. I married into a family where everyone had degrees and most possessed graduate degrees. The majority were surprised when I returned to school (at age 42) to get my degree in Marine Biology, followed by an MS in Animal Behavior==they assumed I had already graduated college.

Now I work as a Wildlife Biologist. It required 20 years of schooling. I see recent grads who can't write, can't spell and don't have even a rudimentary training in Scientific Method or Structured Decision Making. And a plumber makes more than I do.

As a "dinosaur", a remnant of the "old school" where you were required to take Philosophy, Literature, English Composition, I am shocked. After I received my BS, I entered grad school. I STILL had to take an English Exam. The colleges were graduating students who couldn't write a well structured sentence. A student next to me was entering grad school to earn an MA in teaching and had to pass a simple paragraph writing exercise or she would be kicked out. It was her third attempt. You only needed a "c" average to get through grad school and earn an MA in teaching! (For comparison, anything below a "B' and you were on probation in the Biology Department=a "B-" was a failing grade!).

Military NCOs==The ones I deal with are a joke. They use Federal employment to get moved to wherever they want to retire at and start counting the days until they can!

Mall Ninja and Deanster like this.
  8. Adjuster

Adjuster

WSJ is a little behind on this. I'm guessing all their employees have college degrees.

/

fastbolt and janice6 like this.
  9. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

....also....college "Degrees" come with a lot of "Liberal" `Pork fat`
    (indoctrination) ...of the young...

[​IMG]
    `We, as conservative Republicans, need to ask ourselves some extremely serious questions. Beginning with, How did we lose Allie? When does the indoctrination of our daughters, begin ?

`And can we get our “Allies” back?? 

First, it is no secret that the mainstream media is owned by the left. It is nothing more than a propaganda machine for corrupt Hillary Clinton as it has been for Barack Obama.

But really what young adult girls are watching mainstream political news? The answer, Not many. The way the liberals are brainwashing our daughters is actually way more sophisticated, as being disguised and hidden………most obvious is the large number of liberal professors teaching our daughters. The poster child for crazy liberal professor ( above) we saw at Mizzou this year..`

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I remember when you had to get a high School diploma to be hired for the "big money". Not long thereafter, everyone was getting high school diplomas, and now the discriminator turned to a college degree. It seemed to make no difference what the degree was for, it just had to be a college degree.

Then everyone started to get a college degree. Although, many decided the easy degrees were less work , leaving more time to "party". This made the employment people turn to a STEM, Business Management, or a money managing degree (about the time every CEO had to be a "business/money manager".

It came to be a degree that actually gave you some saleable skills, and now those easy/social/humanity degrees are the stuff anyone can have. So they have been devalued by sheer numbers.

The lesson is that you have to keep abreast of the economic world and offer that which is in demand, not that which is easy.

11. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

College will still get you a better job that pays more and has more potential IF you get a marketable degree (opposed to a degree in Social Justice Counseling).

But the cost of college had become painfully expensive. And if you are in that 80K+ income bracket, good luck getting any financial aid Instead you will be expected to pay $25K+ per year for your kids. When they graduate you will either have an empty bank account, or they will have a large student loan.

12. sciolist

sciolist

College is about learning stuff. Making money is about making money. Two separate concepts that can work together, work independently or in some cases be mutually-exclusive.

Be clear with yourself, time is short.

13. quasii

quasii

College is the game of beer and time management... Learning to understand the important times when/what to study and work hard, then letting your hair down. Keeping the party going for 4-5 years with a useful degree - You Win.

Valmet, LASTRESORT20 and refugeepj like this.
  14. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

No crap. What do you expect when they cheapened a Bachelors degree so much.

You should see some of the mooks I work with that have a bought and paid for "masters" degree from online diploma purchasing sites.

It's a joke.

And then you have the upscale of common job descriptions. Gone is the position of secretary, and lately even administrative assistant is on the way out. Now it'a crap like "Director of office Communications Management".

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    mc1911, treg, Valmet and 2 others like this.
  15. refugeepj

refugeepj

spent 37 years working as a commercial offset pressman.
    good trade while it lasted.

son and a son in law both IBEW.
    they shoul both be close to six figures this year. 50+ hours a week at foremans wages.

Agonizer, lazarus66, treg and 3 others like this.
  16. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

The undercurrent of this article is not enough men are pursuing College degrees. That is who women want to marry. Skilled trades are an option for a male.

Even science professors realize the differences in quality of Instructors in the Liberal Arts side of the campus. Go back a couple of generations and a B.A degree meant you learned something of worth.

First shot and janice6 like this.
  17. Detectorist

Detectorist

I knew a few guys in the IBEW. Good trade Union. They would bend over backwards to get the job done right.

18. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

This started going downhill when they began handing out high school diplomas to kids who couldn't read, write, or do basic arithmetic. It made the hs diploma mean nothing. Now the liberal arts (not STEM) bachelors degree has become just as meaningless. Eventually everything will mean nothing...

19. mattallamerican

mattallamerican

look whats running most colleges left wingers on the government gravy train

20. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

I'm ashamed that this is my alma-mater. Mizzou was a great and fun school in the '60s and early 70's. Even their football team sucks now. Everything is based on race and politics, and their attendance is WAY down and they had to close several Dorms.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  21. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I expected this to be from the employer side. A large part of why college degrees are worth less than a few years ago is the idea that everybody should go to college, followed by the government financing of college, followed by the schools dumbing down college to get a bigger piece of that pie.

College may be worth what high school used to be, but at least they don't force you to learn more than a high school kid used to.

Thinking back on their Barney the Dinosaur economic ideals, I'll bet it's really a surprise to liberals that as college degrees become more common they also are worth less.

mc1911, First shot and janice6 like this.