WRT54G issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cochese, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Greetings all...

I have had two laptops connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router for about a year. Recently, a laptop went down and I added a desktop PC.

The laptop is XP SP2 with a Orinoco WaveLAN Gold 802.11b PCMCIA wifi card.

The desktop is XP SP2 with a Belkin 11Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Adapter (F5D6001 V.2).

Today, they started having issues with connectivity. The main problem machine is the desktop.

Usually, they both connect fine and reain with high radio signal and stay at 11Mbps. Both are 802.11b adapters.

What's happening is the desktop will drop the signal completely and when it does, the connectivity of the laptop suffers, by lowering to 6mbps or even 1Mbps.

Then after a minute or so, the desktop will come back up and the laptop will resume it's optimal connection.

The router is not in my apt. It is nearby and is run by the complex. Up until today, I could log into the 192.168.1.1 setup screen with the default password of admin and login left blank. It appears it has been changed by whoever.

I never had any reason to go into the setup screen and screw with everything, but every now and then I would go in and reset the channel due to interference in the area from other 2.4 ghz devices...

What is causing the fluctuations in the connection? Is it MAC filtering of some sort? Or a proxy?

There is no WEP and I don't believe any type of WPA setup by the apt complex.

I just want a reliable connection to the two machines. The disconnect/reconnect happens every 30 seconds to minute.

Is there some uber haxor way to get the login/password once it's been changed?;f

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Here is a screenshot of the laptops ipconfig screen when connected properly:

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the same from the problem desktop machine when the connection works:

[​IMG]

Let me know what other info you might need to help me out.

Thanks.

2. ric0123

ric0123

I'm suspecting that whoever changed the admin password also did some other messing around inside the router. I see that you are breaking one of the cardinal rules of wireless, you left your SSID as linksys and you channels as 6. I'm guessing that its some interference from other wireless networks in the area. If you no longer have access to the router configuration then there is very little you can do. Assuming you can no longer make any adjustments to the router, my suggestion would be to add an external antenna to your wireless cards. I am using a homemade Cantenna. Its like a gun, it gets what you aim it at and has very little side "spray". If I am right, and your problem is interference, this should help you from picking up other networks, as well as incresing your signal streght to the router you are trying to connect to.

The other thing you might do is "force" your cards into a fixed 1-2megbit connection instead of being on auto like I can see from the screenshots. I think it helps signal streght and reliability a bit. YMMV

Im curious about something, when you hit "search for networks" How many others do you see?

3. briantf

briantf

I suspect your benefactor has put a hacked BIOS on your access point. The alternative is that he switched to WPA/WEP and is locking you out.

That router is the poster child for customization; look into modern 802.11G cards for your clients and check with the home office as regards their protocol support.

Brian in CA

4. Cochese

The other AP which is sometimes available is the one selected (blue) in the pic below.

There has never been a good connection though when I have tried to connect to it previously...

[​IMG]

How do I go about doing this on each of my machines?

5. ric0123

ric0123

I never use the windows wireless network utility. I am using a linksys usb card as I type this, and use the linksys utility. You have to uncheck "use windows to configure my wireless network settings". On the linksys utility under configuration there is a setting for "transfer speed" Take it off auto and drop is down to 1 to 2 fixed. I see from the pic that you have a ton of networks that you can "see' and some with the same name. I bet its interference. If you could get back into the router to change the ssid and channel you would be in better shape. Try the speed setting, then try an external highly directional antenna. google cantenna

6. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

On the new XP machine it sounds like it has 802.1x authentication fully or partially enabled. Turn this off and you shouldn't have anymore connection troubles.

Go to the Wireless Networks tab for your WiFi NIC - on the bottom select the SSID that you normally connect to, click properties. On the new window, go to the Authentication tab; verify all 3 checkboxes here are not selected. You may have to temporarily check the top box, to get the middle box available to uncheck.

7. Cochese

Crap. What do I do if they are all grayed out?!

[​IMG]

8. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Remove the SSID from the preferred network list, and manually add it back in. When in the process of adding the info back in, make sure to clear all three check boxes.