Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get many calls looking for the switchboard of the University of Arkansas.
I have the same number but the wrong area code.
It's not fun but I try to play it up a little. I've said, "sorry this is my first day, could you call back later?"
Usually, I tell them a university student should be smart enough to dial the correct number.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
I love when I tell people they called a wrong number then they just redial instead of finding the correct number.

When I lived in downtown Salt Lake my number had the same digits as the closest McDonalds. The last two were just reversed.

Employees would call in sick and I would tell them they had the wrong number. They got pissed at me and told me to just tell the manager they were sick.

This happened a lot on days with fresh snow. I knew they were just going skiing. Eventually if they got profane with me when I told them they had the wrong number I just fired them.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I got a new work cellphone (I deal with a lot of DUI and DUI related cases). I keep getting calls for a gentleman named Perfecto that keeps missing his appointments to have his breathalyzer machine installed in his vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
I had a friend named Gerald. Back in the days of land lines and white pages he got a call from the local planetarium. Its seems the curator with the same unusual last name was Jerome. They called him Jerry.......see where this is going?

"Jerry, the main projector went again. I can get a new one on a plane tonight and have it here in the morning for $XX.XXXX or we can cancel the rest of the week and try a repair for $X,XXX." My friend "Let's do both so we have a back up". I'll bet Jerome was shocked.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,286 Posts
I love when I tell people they called a wrong number then they just redial instead of finding the correct number.

When I lived in downtown Salt Lake my number had the same digits as the closest McDonalds. The last two were just reversed.

Employees would call in sick and I would tell them they had the wrong number. They got pissed at me and told me to just tell the manager they were sick.

This happened a lot on days with fresh snow. I knew they were just going skiing. Eventually if they got profane with me when I told them they had the wrong number I just fired them.
The next time a Mickey Dee's employee calls in just tell 'me it's ok, get well and get back as soon as you can. Lol!!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts

:animlol::******::animlol:

·
Registered
673 Posts
When I was a teenager, my mom would routinely receive calls for a local hair stylist. Our number was a single digit off, but mom being helpful would book appointments for everyone. You need your hair done for your wedding.. Sure We will come to your hoise.. Oh you need an appointment today at 5.30 no problem.

I always wondered how it worked out.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,286 Posts
I just remembered this.
Many years ago, probably the late '80s or so, my Mom was down from AK. and when I got home from work, my then Wife told me she was gonna call.
Well, she called and I went through the whole Domino's pizza spiel. You know, the one where if your pizza isn't there in 30 minutes or less you get a free 2 liter bottle of any Coke product? It was about 30 seconds long. Before I even finished, she hung up. Didn't even recognize my voice.
She called back and I answered properly. She had no clue until she got to our apartment and my then Wife told her what I had done.
One of the very few good memories of my Mother.

·
Back to work...
2,897 Posts
Every year on the Monday after Father's Day, me and three guys rent a pontoon boat on a State lake stay out fishing for the day. Last year that day was very windy, and the pontoon we rented only had a small concrete formed anchor that wasn't big enough to keep us anchored when the winds hit. We decided to head back to the marina and get a bigger anchor. On the way there, I picked up the clipboard with our papers, and found the marina's number permanently taped to the clipboard's backside. I dialed, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hello? Hi, we just rented a pontoon earlier today, and we've been drifting all over: do you have a heavier anchor we could have?"

Older man: "What?"

Me: "We just rented a pontoon earlier today, but the anchor you have on the boat is too small, and is not keeping us on a spot: we're getting blown all over with it. It's not enough."

Older man: "I don't have any anchors to give."

Me: "How about a cinder block? The other place had these large, heavy cement footers as anchors, and they worked good. Do you have cinder blocks, maybe?"

Older man: "I don't have any cinder blocks..."

Me: "Ok, how about giving us another anchor then? I think that would help."

Older man: "Are you calling for the boat place?"

Me: "Huh, yeah? Why?"

Older man: "Oh, honey, this is my home, and I ain't the boat place! People keep calling me for the boat place, but I ain't it. They must have closed or something."

Me: "Is your number XXX-XXX-XXXX?"

Older man: "Yeah! But I ain't the boat place! I had this number for years!"

Me: "Oh, sorry! Bye!" (click)

We arrive at the marina. The older fella that sent us off helps us, taking an anchor from another boat. On the way out, one of my friends yells back to him: "Hey, your phone number is wrong on the clipboard!"

Older Fella: "What?"

Friend: "The number on the clipboard is wrong: is someone else."

Me: "Yeah! He's been getting phone calls from people in boats for years! He has no idea why!"

Older fella bent over laughing.

Reactions: Batesmotel

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Growing up.. my familys phone number was almost the same as the local chinese place... just reversed the last two numbers..

Amusing but annoying..

"Hello?"

"Yeah hi i'd like to order a number 7 with a bowl of wonton soup"

"Uh not from me you're not.. you want 203-xxx-xxxx"

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Growing up.. my familys phone number was almost the same as the local chinese place... just reversed the last two numbers..

Amusing but annoying..

"Hello?"

"Yeah hi i'd like to order a number 7 with a bowl of wonton soup"

"Uh not from me you're not.. you want 203-xxx-xxxx"
Do any of them just hit redial?

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,443 Posts
Used to have a number that was 1 digit off the local BMV, was nice to callers at first then it got fun. Have them calling up asking about how much their plates were was the best so they would know how much money to bring with them

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
In the 90’s I worked at a car stereo store that had the same name as a local carpet cleaning company. We would get 10 calls a day some days...I guess when they ran a good commercial...wanting to schedule carpet cleanings.

We were nice about it (for a bunch of 20 year olds) but every now and then someone would insist that we schedule their carpet cleaning... so we would. Sadly the only times available were either 5 a.m. or three weeks from next Tuesday.

We had some tired and angry people calling in when we opened the next day at 10 a.m.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts