Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to heavier lifting. As I've progressed, the weights have gone up but now I'm finding that my grip is holding me back. I was trying to do BB shrugs at the end of my back workout yesterday and I couldn't hold onto the weight. At this point, I'm able to do all that I want on my deads b/c I do them early and use an alternate hand grip when my double overhand fails. But I could see this coming to an end shortly.

Anyway, I'm researching wrist straps. I plan to add additional grip work and/or only use the straps when my grip fails. I certainly don't want the straps to be a crutch nor do I want to hinder my grip strength progress. But I also don't want to leave any work on the table simply because my grip fails.

What do you guys think of using straps?

John

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think you're thinking correctly. Shrugs and SLDL are the two exercises I could see myself using them on. It's unacceptable to use an opposing grip on those and I could see getting into enough weight so that a hook grip might be a problem also.

It kinda cracks me up that I used to use them for pullups, though. I also remember using them for cable rows and pull-downs many years ago :embarassed:

·
Pitying Fools
2,370 Posts
I've never cared for straps but I will use them only when I must. I think being stubborn throughout the years have paid off since, IMO, I have a strong grip. The other good time I think to use them are on max dead's for one reason. I can do the under/over grip with no problem but it still puts that one bicep under higher strain. I haven't gotten use to the hook grip yet.

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
Cinic,

If you can use chalk, it makes a world of difference.

I used straps on shrugs in the past, but when my deadlift grip started slipping I switched to chalk.

But I know some gyms don't allow a chalk.

And how is the knurling on the bar you are using?

Some cheap bars are like trying to grip a greased pig.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
If your "gym" doesn't allow chalk, they aren't a real gym.

Okay, so I'm guilty of going to a "fitness center" and not a gym, myself.

Solution? Use chalk and screw them. Or, the friendlier way, something like this works pretty well:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/chalk.html

I intend to never use wrist straps. I just work on my grip to keep it from being a limiting factor.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i only use straps if my forearm strength is going to limit my ability to get the most out of the exercise for the target muscle group, such as dumbell shrugs, SLDL's, or squats. otherwise, i consider them to be like power suits, knee wraps, or bar pads... regards-- deguelo

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
i only use straps if my forearm strength is going to limit my ability to get the most out of the exercise for the target muscle group, such as dumbell shrugs, SLDL's, or squats. otherwise, i consider them to be like power suits, knee wraps, or bar pads... regards-- deguelo

Say what?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I might be a wuss, but at 45 years old, I grab my cheap cotton webbing straps for 315 lb and 405 lb squats. At 315, I can hang on for maybe 2x10 without, but there's no way I can finish a heavy workout without them.

I also use them as spotters straps for dumbell presses. Makes a big difference when I really go to failure in a drop set dumbell workout.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
I might be a wuss, but at 45 years old, I grab my cheap cotton webbing straps for 315 lb and 405 lb squats. At 315, I can hang on for maybe 2x10 without, but there's no way I can finish a heavy workout without them.

I also use them as spotters straps for dumbell presses. Makes a big difference when I really go to failure in a drop set dumbell workout.

I just don't understand how and why grip strength would limit you on squats. :dunno:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Say what?
warp-- sorry, i wasn't too clear. i sometimes perform dumbell squats as a change of pace. they're like a db deadlift, but with more flexion in the knee and a more erect posture. it is somewhat easier on the neck, back and shoulders than barbell squats, but tougher on the forearms. regards-- deguelo

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
warp-- sorry, i wasn't too clear. i sometimes perform dumbell squats as a change of pace. they're like a db deadlift, but with more flexion in the knee and a more erect posture. it is somewhat easier on the neck, back and shoulders than barbell squats, but tougher on the forearms. regards-- deguelo
aha

I see.

Ever do trap bar deadlifts?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I don't use wrist straps, for the same reason I don't bench with a bench-shirt.
TR, it makes no never mind to me, whether you use straps or not, but I'm not sure I understand what your 'same reason' is. Help?

I wouldn't bench with a shirt (unless it was some sort of assistance work to the tris for lockout), but I'm not sure why I would let grip strength interfere with quality assistance work.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Hey warp, even though I can use all the chalk I want, I thinkk that liquid chald sounds interestng. How does it compare to the real stuff?
I've only used the real stuff once.

For me, at my current level (I only deadlifted for the first time ever this March) they both seem to do the job quite well.

*my deadlift relatively sucks*

My best straight up double overhand was 290x5. I'm using an alternate grip on work sets now, with a best of 330x5 back on June 1. I was able to stand at lockout after the final rep for a decent while before my grip became questionable and I put it down.

I've had a LOT of stress this past month though and as a result my diet/rest/training has sufferred and I have lost several pounds...when I should have been gaining. I was only able to pull 315x1 yesterday. :sad:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts