close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WRAL publishing lists please sign petition

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mikesus, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mikesus

mikesus

WRAL in Raleigh NC has decided to publish a searchable list of concealed handgun permit holders (they did exclude names but left enough other identifying characteristics to be able to identify individuals). they were asked to remove street data and have refused. Please go to

https://www.change.org/petitions/wr...-rape-victims-and-others-with-handgun-permits

And sign for all permit holders that we don't want this behavior to stand.

every time someone signs, WRAL, CBS and 2 senators get emails urging them to correct this.

If we don't stop this now, your state maybe next.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

This is a dangerous thing. At one time the Greensboro Daily News and Fish Wrap published a list of the names and other pertinent info on new CCW permits issued in the county. That was stopped in its tracks.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

3. Silver_Bullet_00

Silver_Bullet_00

You beat me to it mike. Was about to post it.

4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

But an even far more dangerous thing is to restrict the public's access to public info. Where do you draw the line? Freedom has a price.

However, I am for a compromise of sorts. Make the info public, BUT non-publishable and if someone wants to view the register they need to come into the office, present ID and view the register, but no photos or copies.

5. jph02

jph02

Done. I also encourage anyone in WRAL's area to email the station manager, call the station during business hours, and email advertisers telling them you will no longer do business with them if they continue to support WRAL's invasion of privacy.

Seriously? Public info? I'd like the state to put the driver license database on line so I can look up where you live and what kind of car you drive. Is that what you'd like to see? How about your kids' grades in school if they attend schools funded by taxpayers? How about records of things you bought at the store on which sales tax was assessed?

Public info is city council minutes and records of votes by elected representatives and decisions on matters of governmental regulations. It should not include exposing the privacy of individuals who are simply exercising their constitutional rights because the state has added a regulatory requirement to obtain a license to exercise that right. :shakehead:

6. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

"change".org you say? I signed the petition but then was hit with 5 more suggested ones and 3 of them were downright commie BS & the other 2 I rolled my eyes at.

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

It's none of no ones business..............

A person makes a choice,they get a CCW.Whose business is that?. They met the legal requirements and deserve their privacy.It is NOT public info,the holder entered an agreement with the state,not the public.

These yahoos want ta make a persons decision/s ta defend themselves a matter of public record. :faint:

The 2A has been compromised beyond any type of reason the founders could ever foresee.NC is an OC state and that's how we carry,however any resident that decides ta take the course and CCW has the expectation ta the privacy said contract.

You can't unring a bell.'08.

8. mikesus

mikesus

Yeah change.org gotta love irony ;)

9. Silver_Bullet_00

Silver_Bullet_00

LOL yeah change.org is what the libs use for anti-gun and other agenda LOL
    Ironic, I thought it was pretty funny myself using there tools for conservative issues.

10. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

If you're going to take the time to voice a concern why waste your time by complaining to a company that is doing something that is currently legal?

Instead why not voice your concerns to someone that actually can do something to change this? Contact your state representatives and tell them you want a change in the laws making the CHP data not for public dissemination based on personal security concerns.

On-line petitions, polls, blogs, etc carry little to no weight in current times but a phone call, letter written, or email WILL be noticed at your representatives office.

11. jph02

jph02

Complaining to a company: businesses understand sales and profits (or advertising revenue in this case). Money talks. If enough customers complain, the business will change its behavior.

Voice your concerns to someone that can actually do something: Great idea. If you'd checked the petition, it said it emailed state senators on the issue. The other problem, obviously, is NC representatives could care less what anyone outside the state has to say. You might argue the same is true for WRAL, but we can all influence their advertisers.

Phone call, letter written, or email WILL be noticed at your representatives office: This just makes me laugh. That would be why both my senators and US rep simply sent me form letters telling me Obamacare was the greatest thing in the world when I asked them to explain how they thought it was constitutional and urged them to vote against it. Politicians only tow the party line and only care what lobbyists have to say cuz that's where the money is.

12. dwhite53

dwhite53

Emailed the author and webmaster a link to the Ohio gunowners website about the dirt they found on the editor of the Sandusky Register who felt obligated to do the same. Google it. Good read.

Hopefully someone will take a little time to see what dirt these three have that is public record.

All the Best
    Doug White

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  13. MIKES LAW

MIKES LAW

Signed petition.

WRAL is a dem rag.

14. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

OK I signed the petition.

15. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Forget about signing this petition....contact your legislators direct. These 'on-line' petitions often are ways to acquire information on people and really don't do squat.

Contacting your legislators direct would be the best thing, instead of this non-binding questionable petition.

Just my $.02.

:wavey:

red

16. Silver_Bullet_00

Silver_Bullet_00

Every time someone signs, 2 legislators, CBS, WRAL, and The Data Company CEO are getting emails. This is along with our locals who have made calls to our legislators offices, and contact to http://www.grnc.org/ Grass Roots North Carolina, who has sent an email of concern out.

There's your $.02 cents refund back. :supergrin::tongueout::cool:

17. Silver_Bullet_00

Silver_Bullet_00

We are trying to put pressure on them to take it down. Please sign the Petition link in the ops first post. Create a gmail if your don't like giving your primary email. Your help is greatly appreciated, as it could be your state next.

No permit required to conceal carry would be great, but right now we are stuck with how it is, and just because we have to go through all these channels of our government to carry and earn our second amendment right ( like it is a privilege instead of a right), doesn't mean they should be allowed to give that info away, or put us on a list like outcast members of society, just because we choose to responsibly protect our family and selves. This list is just a starting point for the anti-gun crowd, if they get away with this, they will take bigger steps!

18. Silver_Bullet_00

Silver_Bullet_00

To a Mod
    Could this be a Sticky for a little while?
    This is an important concealed carry and privacy issue in NC, and should be of concern to everyone else.
    Thanks

19. vafish

vafish

Someone needs to post the names and home addresses of all the papers editors and reporters on line.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. jph02

jph02

I agree it's an important issue but its only gotten 20 replies in 2 days. I'm not a mod, however I'm not thinking it warrants a sticky. Just my .02.