close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wpa_supplicant

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Sep 6, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello at all,
    Anyone linux types have experience using wpa_supplicant? Huh!
    pascal

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I ran into problems getting it up & working, so free bump.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a positive experience.

:)

3. EnigmaCurry

EnigmaCurry

What exactly are you having a problem with?

NetworkManager is the best configuration utility I know of to setup wpa_supplicant.

If you're using Ubuntu just do: apt-get install network-manager-gnome

4. pascal

pascal

Howdy,
    Thanks David_G17, will need all the luck I can get.
    EnigmaCurry,
    The short answer is nothing works, or I don't know how to do it correctly. Have a Ubuntu on wireless to my router with WEP 128bit Open. I used Network-admin, which only shows a WEP option. Numerous other distributions have all failed (OpenLinuxOS, Mepis, Fedora, Debian, etc.), you can see how green I am. I've tried Network-manager-gnome and Knetworkmanager, Wifi Radar and none seem to operate correctly. Must admit that using the wpa_supplicant on the command line for it's setup or use is beyond me without help.
    Willing to try any and all options again and again if only I could get some assistance. Read numerous Howtos, threads and such, no luck. The users on Ubuntu.org are seemingly not willing to help people that are this newbie. I've gotten thoughtful suggestions and advice on this forum and was hoping that someone would chime in.
    BTW I'd like to use WPA2 or WPA-PSK minimum. Thanks for the interest.
    pascal

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

from their site, they say "NetworkManager currently supports WEP encrypted networks, and support for WPA encryption is planned in the near future."

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/admins/

have you used it successfully to install / run WPA?

6. EnigmaCurry

EnigmaCurry

I abandonded WEP a long time ago. I use NetworkManager with WPA-PSK everyday. It works wonderfully.

Network-admin is definitely the wrong tool to use if you want to use WPA, it simply doesn't have the capability.

First things first though, does the system recognize that you have a wireless card? What is the output of the command iwconfig? If the system doesn't recognize the card, then NetworkManager won't help much.

If you can verify that the card is detected, is NetworkManager running (try running "NetworkManager" as root)? Do you have an system tray applet running? If not try running the command "nmapplet --sm-disable"

Once you verify that the card is recognized and that NetworkManager is in fact running and you have the applet, we can proceed further to diagnose the problem.

7. pascal

pascal

Hello EnigmaCurry,
    In frustration I dumped in a regular nic and am running off of that. I recall that:
    lspci - showed the card Realtek
    ifconfig - showed 'wlan0'
    /etc/network/interfaces - showed the wlan0 connection with the WEP key.
    Network-admin - saw several connections, allowed my to pick mine and had the option for WEP Open/Shared - ASCII/Hex.
    Thanks for the interest.
    pascal