Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a flashlight and something. Hard to see the knife blade.

The St. Paul Police Department released the body camera footage Tuesday of the fatal officer-involved shooting of 31-year-old Ronald Davis on Sept. 15. The incident began shortly before 6 p.m., when Davis reportedly rear-ended a St. Paul police squad car near the intersection on Thomas Avenue West and North Griggs Street. According to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and St. Paul police, both men exited their vehicles and Davis confronted the officer, identified as Officer Steven Mattson. Davis allegedly ignored repeated commands to drop the knife and at one point during the encounter, Mattson fired his weapon, killing Davis. Mattson, who has been with the police department for less than a year, was uninjured and was wearing a body camera at the time of the shooting. He remains on standard administrative leave. The BCA is still investigating the deadly shooting. Amid growing pressure for transparency, St. Paul Police Chief Todd Axtell made the decision to release the body camera video—one of the fastest turnarounds of footage in the city’s recent history. Last year, Axtell released body camera video in the officer-involved shooting of Billy Hughes 12 days after it occurred. He made the footage public in an effort to dispel rumors and calm protests. Axtell said last week that he is releasing the video now because part of the BCA’s investigation is complete.

Reactions: nrajeff

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That officer had good reflexes that probably saved his life. It's unfortunate that our "men in blue" have to face situations like this on a daily basis. It is even more unfortunate that many people do not support them. They are human beings who just want to get home to their families every night. Thank God for the officers quick thinking, and his training. He has done that community a favor by taking a piece of trash out permanently.

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
Glad his body cam was recording. I see more need to find a way for them to record 100% of the officer’s shift...you never know. That officer probably wasn’t expecting to be ambushed.

Crazy encounter, he reacted fast and his training paid off. Stay safe.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,208 Posts
Well, they dead guy rammed the squad, and ambushed the cop as he exited his vehicle. That's 100% premeditated from what I'm reading, clearly a "suicide by cop" situation.

·
Registered
43,143 Posts
:cow:

·
Registered
29,182 Posts
Be interesting to see if the young cop decides to stay in the job after being attacked and forced to kill someone.

Imagine wondering if you're going to be attacked at any moment each and every day, during each and every contact with the public. It can make for a stressful

Then, there's this to contend with nowadays, even though the suspect attacked a police officer without warning and provocation, forcing the officer to shoot and kill him.

During Sunday's march, protesters shouted chants and sang "We are Family." At the site of the shooting, they held a candlelight vigil and called for an end to police shootings. Activist and attorney Nekima Levy Armstrong said Davis should still be alive, telling the crowd, "Enough is enough."
https://kstp.com/news/protesters-march-man-ronald-davis-fatally-shot-by-st-paul-police/5502018/

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/09/24/us/ap-us-police-shooting-st-paul-the-latest.html

Officer Steven Mattson’s camera spun toward the sky as he hit the ground and he said, “Holy (expletive).” A witness has said she saw Davis throw the officer to the ground.
The encounter lasted 12 to 13 seconds from the time Mattson opened his squad door to the shooting.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/24/video-ronald-davis-st-paul-police-shooting-body-cam/

The mayor made some supportive comments of the police.

Mayor Melvin Carter said Tuesday he watched the body camera footage and saw an “incredibly dangerous and scary event that no person and certainly no officer would ever hope to encounter.”
And as the son of a retired St. Paul police officer, Carter said he could not “look at that video and tell you that there’s something else, something more that I could have expected that officer to do.”

Reactions: michael_b

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
As long as the copper came out on top! That's all that counts!

Reactions: michael_b

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
GOOD on this kid. Less than a year on, and excellent reaction time...
Lesson to be learned in ALL of these OIS videos.
I know me, and if I was rear ended it would have been a loud spew of profanity, followed by keying up and having dispatch get highway patrol on the way before I even stepped out.... this video proves exactly why you shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
These SJW turds and their ilk screamed to put cameras on cops. Well, they got what they wanted. Be careful what you wish for.....

·
Registered
26,846 Posts
Good video. Shows how things can go downhill in a second. Would probably make a good training video.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,429 Posts
The Libs wanted body cams to PROVE abuse by police. Now they hate body cams because they clear the police 98% of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts