close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wow. Thread explores Glock durability, makes you think about the 1911...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pangris, Dec 27, 2005.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

2. aglocker1911

aglocker1911 can't re-MEMBER

That's why whenever I plan to let my carry gun be thrown off of building, buried in sand, frozen, and ran over by a vehicle I will carry a Glock. But since MOST of the time I keep my ccw in a drawer at home or in a holster on my hip, I think my 1911 is as durable as I'll ever need it to be!;f

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Many 1911 pistols can cost over $1000. I don't believe many 1911 owners are going to "test" their own guns.

;N

4. 02Corvette

02Corvette

That would be the benefits of very loose tolerances and flexable plastic over CNC'ed precision metal...a daily driver chevy truck will out last a Ferrari, if used as a work car to tow things, but which one would you want to own!

5. Markcuda

Markcuda A gun a month

What do you think, the truck:)

6. cjblackmon

cjblackmon 2 Alpha!

Guns & Ammo did a magazine dedicated to the 1911, different brands and a little history this month.

Patrick Sweeney did an article on "Abusing the 1911 for fun" just to see how hard he can push the 1911 to failure. He ran the test with a Wilson CQB, RIA, Charles Daly, and a Kimber Warrior.

He ran them over with a truck, also parked the truck on top of the guns...fired them all, degreased them and fired them all without any lube, buried them in dirt, silt, sand, clay, and mud fired them all, they even fired under water. His test came very close to Glock's test. All the guns ran without a hitch.

Pick up the magazine it's a great article!

7. Mitrod3

Mitrod3

the 1st thing that hit me in this whole thing was the reality that the 1911 made it through a few wars (kind of like a real life situation thingy).

also, like others have shared, i don't plan to hide my gun in a bucket of mud or sand but just keep it in the finger safe, or in one of my gun cases. that should keep it workable if a mud slide or sand storm should happen to hit my house.

it is nice to know the glock and the 1911 will function after serious abuse, but you aren't gonna find me abusing any of my guns....although i will be happy to seriously abuse a glock if someone wants to send one to me to run a test on. ;z

be safe, shoot well.

8. litework

litework

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what the LAPD was doing wrong. They should have dropped their pistols from a plane prior to shooting them. Who could have know that exposure to LA's harsh environment of 70 degree temperatures, sunny skies and light winds would be the Glock 21's Achilles' heel?

9. cjblackmon

cjblackmon 2 Alpha!

I'd like to see how the Glock would perform in the heat test.

Bake it at 550 degrees for a couple of hours and shoot it.

I bet a 1911 would stand up to it!

10. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy

Nothing against Patrick Sweeney, but the Guns and Ammo test didn't even come close. Bigbore has an ongoing thread on AR-15.com about his Glock torture test. It is 29 pages long. Includes lots of pictures and videos. Bigbore has over 150,000 rounds thru his Glock 21. Not 1000rds or so.

I own a Wilson CQB. It is my normal carry pistol. I really like the 1911. But nobody, and I mean nobody has done quite as an extensive torture test on a pistol like Bigbore has.

11. dgg9

dgg9

Depends -- will I have a pit stop crew available when my 1911 breaks down in a gunfight?

12. auto45

auto45

Finish wise, Glocks have the 1911's beat...no question. Tennifer and plastic are hard to beat.

Reading the test, you still have FTF(jams)with the 21 when jammed with mud, etc...like most guns will be. If it isn't the gun, then the mag will "get you".

In the now "famous" 1000 round Glock versus 1911 tests, the Glock 45's never made it through. That's without abuse, just firing!

I've "read" H&K tests where they abuse it and it works fine...of course.

Patrick's Sweeny's test was fun to read, but he didn't test the 1911 in the cocked and locked mode. On the other hand, as mentioned, the 1911 "has been there and done that", so it doesn't have to prove it's reliability in the "real world".

13. cjblackmon

cjblackmon 2 Alpha!

Great Point Auto!

14. pangris

pangris Moderator

The point about the 1911 in wars... is a very good one.

1911, back on the nightstand ;)

15. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I have a Glock. a 45. I have a 1911. a 45.

I like 45.

when it comes to protecting my home the wife has the Glock and I have the 1911. How many battles has the 1911 seen? I cant even beging to count them.

How many battles has the Glock seen? I don't know, but very few I bet.

The 1911 is built for doing the job. It was built when it had to work. No fancy tennifer, or plastic wizbangs.

I trust my 1911. Maybe I can have differing models from differing makers, but I will always trust a 1911 first.

16. dgg9

dgg9

Non sequitur as those battles saw nothing but FMJ ammo.

Compare defensive shootings with HPs between those brands, and you may find a different result.

17. nu2carry

nu2carry

My own personal experience with my Glocks is very positive...My 23 has been through a ton of bad stuff and fires as well as it did the day I bought it...

It was my first Glock and my 21 and 30 get a little better treatment...

Mine get sawdust, drywall dust, plaster dust, sweat (tons of sweat) water spilled on it, freezing conditions, hot sticky humid conditions, bangs around in a holster in my tool belt the Meps are banged up the finish is banged up but I have the utmost faith in it...

I do however clean it regularly and shoot it regularly...I do think that the 1911 is a great gun especially with a reliability job on it they are tough to beat as are H & K’s..

Glocks are just a really good working tool...Just like my Milwaukees, DeWalts and Makitas...
    Reliable and tough...

18. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Sounds like a remake of the Famous Glock Sales Video, where some Georgia Sheriff ABUSED HIS GLOCK, and could not make the Glock 17 Stop Working. ;)

19. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Both the Glock and the 1911 are great pistols. I think the problem with most of these tests is with the sampling being so small. Have 30 pistols of both types go through the same controled tests and you would likely have more valid results. This is the problem I have with the Gun Tests Newsletters.

20. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Could be a fun test...;)