Wow! Phoenix Redback – Swiss jewel of a 9mm! :):):)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Jul 30, 2020.

1. bac1023

bac1023

I’ve always been a great fan of the older Sphinx series 2000 and 3000 pistols, before being bought by Kriss. I always felt they were the pinnacle of quality and the finest pistols to ever use the CZ 75 design. Sphinx’ marriage to Kriss went south and the groups parted ways, with Kriss keeping the rights to the Sphinx name.

Over the last couple of years, the original owner of Sphinx has set up shop back in Interlaken, Switzerland to again produce these incredible firearms. The Phoenix Redback is essentially an improved version of the Sphinx 3000, with a redesigned extractor and better checkering. The beavertail, trigger guard, and slide serrations were also redesigned and new, improved G10 grips were chosen. The short video below illustrates the changes with pictures of both.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqpg57am72M

The Phoenix Redback, like the Sphinx 3000 before it, uses the outstanding CZ 75 design and cranks up the quality about 10 notches. Picking up this 50oz pistol and the immense build quality prowess of these Swiss craftsmen is immediately evident. It is built from the finest materials available and meticulously hand fitted. The final finish and attention to detail is way off the charts. I feel confident in saying that this is one of the finest handguns built today, if not THE finest, combining modern metallurgy with old world craftsmanship. Its most certainly the finest pistol using the CZ design and I’ll even include my FK BRNO Field Pistol as one of the comparisons.

Below is the website. Typical of small, boutique companies like this, its not the easiest to navigate.

https://www.phx.swiss/index.php?id=108

More on the pistol itself…

As mentioned above, the weight is about 50oz (49.6 to be exact). To put that in perspective, its 10 oz heavier than a steel Government 1911, despite having a half inch shorter barrel. That’s right, the Redback has a 4.5” barrel and weighs just under 50oz with an empty magazine. As some here probably know, I absolutely love heavy pistols for range use, especially heavy guns of this quality. I was thrilled when I picked up and handled the gun for the first time. It just screams quality in every way. The SA trigger is 3lbs and extremely crisp with absolutely no hint of creep whatsoever. The DA pull is very smooth and consistent. The reset is not only super short, but very audible, which should make rapid shooting a breeze. The grips have a nice exotic look and feel great in hand with a ton of traction to be had. The texturing on the frame looks great and feels even better. Definitely not a pattern you see very often. The thumb safety has a very positive sound and is weighted perfectly. Unlike the CZ design, the Redback uses a 1911-like mainspring housing in the back, which is interesting. Internally, the gun is like a jewel, with no machining marks whatsoever. Its really superb inside and out. Even the roll marks are done painstakingly perfect. :cool:

Options for the Redback are abundant. There is an optics ready version available and they can also be ordered all black, all silver, or due tone, which is what this is. This is matte stainless with a black finished slide (the gun is completely stainless steel). I think a more polished stainless finish is also available. The Redback is available SAO or DA/SA, this being the latter. Finally, you can have your choice of all ateel or two choices which include aluminum. The Light version features an aluminum lower grip frame. The Ultra Light version features an entire aluminum frame. Yes, the Redback has an upper and lower frame, much like the Sphinx 3000. I would never own anything but the full steel version. In fact, the only thing that isn’t steel on this pistol is the trigger, which is aluminum. Even the front fiber optic sight housing is steel on this pistol.

The Phoenix comes in a nice soft case with a total of four magazines and a manual. The manual doesn’t have a word of English in it, other than on the cover. These guns are clearly built for the European market.

Now retail price on the steel Redback is $4000. The only US distributor is The Attic in Minot, ND. They have a couple more on Gunbroker going for $3600. However, if you place an order for the specs of your choosing, you’ll likely pay retail or close to it, I’d imagine. I also have no idea on lead time, but I can definitely see myself getting another at some point. I’d possibly get an all silver SAO Redback. :thumbsup:

While $4000 is a lot of money, regardless of your means, its still a bargain for the quality you get with this pistol. See the Mastershop Sigs I just posted? Well even those don’t match the quality of this Swiss jewel. That’s how good the Phoenix is. Quality is every bit as good as my old Sphinx 2000 pistols, but its stronger and beefier than those. This gun literally feels like it could shoot 100,000 rounds and barely break a sweat. It makes even the high end 1911’s feel light and frail. The Redback is built like a tank. :cool:

In conclusion, this is one impressive handgun and I hope they stay in business a while. Sphinx has a checkered past, so maybe this iteration will change their luck. Any company that can build a gun like this is a winner in my book. Needless to say, I highly recommend.

Does anybody here own a Phoenix? No, the little Saturday night special 22 doesn’t count. ;)

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mikegti

Mikegti

That's very nice. It's certainly much nicer than what I usually think of when I think of Phoenix firearms.
    img_1209917334_19235_1280910938.jpg

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

That looks like it might be a pretty good production gun, with a few tweaks.

Berto likes this.
  4. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

congrats it looks better on the carpet than in the video

pgg00 likes this.
  5. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Does it come in 40 sw?

nice gun.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks. This guy did a pretty good video that I just watched, though he misspoke about the Ultra Light. There is no polymer model.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqB8GKsoWg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  7. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Beautiful pistol. Great acquisition, droolworthy.
    Enjoy it in health sir! :cheers:

8. bac1023

bac1023

I believe they do technically, but I don’t know what availability is like.

9. yep380

yep380

That is take-your-breath-away gorgeous. Congrats on owning it.

Stunning.

Berto and rayzer007 like this.
  10. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Bac, you are to guns I can’t afford what Top Gear was to cars I can’t afford.

11. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Weighs about the same as my Python Target. I would trade.
    I've not seen manufacturers list trigger weight as precisely as they do:
    SA 3.30 lb / DA 8.16 lb

12. March817

March817

Damned handsome firearm.

13. norton

norton

As always, a beautiful pistol Brian.
    Those Swiss, they know how to make stuff.

gconan likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks guys

Yeah the Swiss make awesome pistols. Every Swiss gun I own is a work of art.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Yes everything is exact

16. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Man, that is one beautiful pistol, stunning.

grecco likes this.
  17. dbuck47

dbuck47

18. skyfall

skyfall

Does it use CZ75 magazines? If not,are extra magazines available? Beautiful pistol.

19. got2hav1

got2hav1

Congratulations, that looks fantastic. Nicely done.

20. DrewBone

DrewBone

Many years ago a good and wise friend and I were once having a conversation about the latest and greatest rather costly high end personal computer CPU when be blurted out, "What good is something to you if you can't afford it?"

A few years later he transferred out to California and was killed when a woman ran a Stop sign and clobbered him on his motorcycle, and since then I've been reminded of what he said that day many many times, and how very right he was.

skyfall likes this.