close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wounded Warrior Project Refuses Gun Organizations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TheJ, Nov 8, 2012.

1. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Saw a tweet from Tom Gresham:

A short time later he sent out this:

Tom Gresham is an absolutely straight shooter and not prone to spreading gossip.

I found this shocking that they would be so bigoted against companies helping people exercise their basic civil right of self defense, that they won't do anything with them. I know I've heard/seen firearm related shows/groups/companies that were raising to help the WWP before. This just seems really strange.

Anyone else heard anything like this?

2. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

3. TheJ

I know I've seen stuff like that too that's why I find it so strange. Idk if this is some sort of recent development that maybe they decided to steer away form gun groups or if somehow Tom Gresham got bad information.. Like is said though Gresham is definitely NOT one to go off spouting this stuff without verifying it.

Idk

4. Brucev

Brucev

Don't know the answer to this question. But, the logical thing to do is to contact WWP and ask them. Doubtless someone will be able to give you a responsible answer.

5. TheJ

I did that early this morning and I'm still waiting..

I sent an email and a message on their Facebook page.

One thing I did notice is the WWP fb page has liked all their commercial partners pages... But none their partner page "likes" include any firearm companies or groups or industry.

6. TheJ

I got an automated response but No real reply yet.

I'll post back if I get one.

7. TheJ

No reply as of yet.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I'll still support them regardless. They do good work.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Never seen a firearms company say they'll be donating to WWP on the packaging either.

Not seeing something doesn't prove that it doesn't exist, though.

10. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

WWP is the biggest but far from the best. They are a pain to work with here locally and there are BOATLOADS of other organizations that help vets.

I have worked with several that are less bureaucratic, more accessible and do not have a bunch of internal politicking going on.

11. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

While I cannot find the source, I remember reading that they have declined promotions like "wounded warrior" AR-15 lower receivers, and accept some of the profit from their sale. Their response was that putting their names on weapons was not something that they felt would be productive to what they were trying to achieve. This, at least in my opinion, is different than not accepting contributions from gun companies. My guess is that manufacturers have donated directly, but discreetly.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I understand not wanting to put your name on a gun. But not wanting to use the resources from the gun community.....sounds like someone I don't want to deal with.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Something is wrong with this. I just got an email from Gun Digest <gundigest-newsletter@weapons-community.com>; talking about 5% of sales going to WWP.

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I know BCM has been a supporter of WWP for years.

15. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I know that Gun Smoke from American Guns is also a big contributor. They are always giving it a spot on their show. If this turns out to be the case I'll be boycotting WWP.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. TheJ

They have never replied to me either on facebook or my email, other than an automated response.

I did visit their website and found some information about their unwillingness to work with firearms groups/companies/media here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. TheJ

Tom Gresham actually spoke at some length about this on his national radio show yesterday too. He said they will take money from anyone.. but they will not partner with or appear to in any way to associate with firearm companies or firearms media. Apparently, firearm people and companies are undesirable and they don't want to be portrayed as political.

Of course in their attempt to "not be political" they are anything but by showing obvious bigotry towards those who are firm believers in the protection of one of our most basic fundamental civil rights. They are in effect taking a anti-civil rights position.

I am sure they have done and will continue to do some very very fine things for our wounded veterans and I applaud them for that. However, just like if they were to not accept partnerships to help from pro first amendment organizations or other pro civil rights organizations, I find their stand offensive.

I certainly will no longer be giving any money to them. There are plenty of other less bigoted organizations out there to help our wounded veterans.
    HAVA or Honored American Veterans Afield, for example.

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

most if not all of the wounded warriors in today's conflicts were volunteers.

Not sure why WWP has this issue again firearms ...

19. TheJ

They say it conflicts with their "mind, body and spirit approach to programs..."

I read that as firearms are bad for the mind, body and spirit.
    How else could it be interpreted?

Bigotry.

20. frizz

frizz

It is not anti-civil rights to stay away from firearms so long as they do not take an active stance against the right to arms.

They may be concerned about the fact that some wounded vets are prohibited from having firearms. Then you have the vets with PTSD and other psych wounds who avoid firearms events because of the symptoms they aggravate.

There is also the concern that the organization could be co-opted into a gun rights organization rather than wounded vet assistance only.

If I knew a vet with PTSD that caused anxiety when a car backfired, I wouldn't ask him to go shooting. Fishing, boating, swimming or something like that.

With this in mind, I can understand, but not if they express anything anti-gun.