close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would you travel to Mexico (Cancun)?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StoneDog, Mar 16, 2010.

1. StoneDog

StoneDog

Hi Everyone,

Have a big 15th wedding anniversary coming up. With my frequent flyer miles I purchased a pair of tickets to Cancun for a week long vacation with the wife. In another part of Mexico we're seeing lots of violence and State Department warnings to get the heck outta there.

The wife is a bit concerned but I told her this would be like cancelling a trip to Orlando because bad stuff was happening in Detroit.

My question is, would you guys still go to Cancun (no where near the US border and all of this drug/gang warfare)?

Jon

2. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Right now... personally I won't go far from my Glock even here in the US... so um no right now nowhere in Mexico is safe due to the military trying to solve their drug cartel problems with 50cal machineguns and attack choppers...

And when is bad stuff not happening in Detroit or Orlando... lol...

Just goto Puerto Rico or Costa Rica... not that bad stuff is exempt from anywhere in the universe

"Oh hey look hunny Mexico is in the middle of a ensuing drug cartel war with the mexican military... Feel like vacationing in MeHiCo?"

Granted they are calling it "Bagdad on the border" but don't assume those cartels live anywhere near the border...

If you were a rich drug cartel guy in Mexico... wouldn't it be nice to live in Cancun??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

hell yes, go and have fun

4. geez1234

geez1234

Well, I'm heading there thursday, so I guess the answer is yes... :supergrin:

I doubt the big cartel leaders live in cancun. If I had endless cash, I'd be looking for a mansion on the water far away from over developed touristy cancun. I would also guess that the cartels have something to gain from the tourist industry. If they have their hand in drugs, I'd imagine they have their hands in everything else.

5. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU

Thirteen killed in crime wave in Mexico's Acapulco
    MEXICO CITY
    Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54pm EST

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Thirteen people were killed in and around the Mexican beach resort of Acapulco early on Saturday in apparent drug-related violence, with four victims found beheaded, security officials said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62C1ET20100313

No.

6. sandman23

sandman23

You will be fine. Just stay on the resort isle. Don't rent a vehicle and drive of out of the tourist district.

BTW, congratulations on your anniversary.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

A bunch of my friends just went to Cozumel and had a blast.

Stay in the tourists areas.

8. The Hawk

The Hawk

I have been there a few times. Go and have fun. It is a resort/tourist area. Be a tourist and enjoy. We had no problems at all when we went. I would not wonder around too far away from the resort though. We stayed at an all inclusive so there was no reason to leave that resort.
    Enjoy the great scenery. Remember, don't drink anything you are not sure of. Example, soft drink poured over ice. Where did the ice come from? We had no problems while eating and drinking at the resort though. Bottled water was available at no extra charge while at the all inclusive.

9. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I could honestly think of a better place to visit while pooping at a truck stop...
    "fart" Australia... "plop"... Amsterdam... "eeerrrr" Paris...

Or at least somewhere the minimum requirement for being a policeman is not a teenage strangulation in your local town...

Put it this way... lets say you go and something does happen... I doubt anyone I know is going to say "wow can you believe "insert name" got killed in Mexico?"

Odds are nothing will happen... but... if it does expect zero remorse from people like me... after all you went to Mexico during an openly accepted military drug cartel war...

NOT SAYING BE AFRAID TO GO... but cmon... If I was your buddy I would make fun of you... but then I left Chicago because its pretty dangerous to live there and anyone who says different lives in the suburbs...

10. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I was disappointed in Cancun when i went. Mazatlan was a lot better. Cancun was windy as hell when we were there and the citizens and shop owners sure as hell didn't act like they were glad you were there.

11. StoneDog

StoneDog

We won't be renting a car or going out at night. We're staying at the Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort which should be out on the barrier island. Other than a few organized day trips with tour groups (to see the ruins, pyramids, whatever) we're not going anywhere.

Acupulco and Jaurez are nowhere near Cancun. Again the analogy would be not going to ... Key West because of violence in NYC or Detroit. At least that's what I can gather.

EDIT: Neither of us have any desire to go to any of those places 9mmXray and I find your post to be offensive. Besides, after traveling to South Africa 4 times in the last six months on business I'm in no mood to sit on a plane for 8 or more hours when I could instead land, get checked in and be sitting on the beach with a Corona if half the time.

12. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

No, i would rather spend my $ here.

13. snappy

snappy

Hell no I wouldn't go, not a chance, not right now.

14. Abull

Abull

We were in the area last week of January, no problems. Went to Playa one day and to the ruins another, once again no problems. As said above, stay around the resort or tourist areas and you will be fine. Was windy as all get out though!

15. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Right!!+1 Oh yeah and I'm sure no cartels own anything in Cancun... or the recent drug war probably has nothing to do with Mexico's new richest man in the world in the Telecom industry down there... Considering he is defending the drug cartels right to privacy...:rofl:

16. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Hmmm. Tough question. I don't think I would go there considering what is happening in Mexico right now. I understand the distance between Cancun and where all the action is taking place is pretty far, I just wouldn't take my chances. That's just me, though.

If you and your wife have your minds made up, who am I to tell you differently. congrats on your Anniversary and have a great time.

17. GlockPreacher

GlockPreacher

We're celebrating 15 years this year and are planning a cruise. I'd stay far away from Mexico right now...

18. sandman23

sandman23

We felt safe going out at night (bars, clubs, restaurants, etc...). We took the public buses everywhere (sketchy but safe). 5 pesos I believe. We just stayed on the island. You will quickly know what is safe.

The day trip may be a little scary. You will definitely feel the lack of security as soon as you leave the resort isle. Even with a guided tour, it can be a little intimidating.

If you like snorkeling, be sure to take a snorkeling tour. We did paradise reef and it was fantastic. Have fun.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

My boss just got back, no I would not go. Take her to Florida.

20. glockman513

glockman513 CCW Instructor

If you want a tropical type vacation . . .try someplace controlled by the US. Like Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands. Or heck, the FL Keys are home soil.