Would you sacrifice your rights to live in paradise?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaleGribble, May 19, 2020.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

So the wife and I kick around where we might want to move to, discussing various locations throughout the U.S., tonight I mentioned Hawaii. I've lived in a lot of places under a lot of different circumstances and I basically consider myself "homeless" in that I've never felt like any place was truly home for me. I've never really felt particularly comfortable in any place I've lived and the only environment that I truly feel comfortable is at the beach, particularly on or in the water. I'm a saltwater guy and will quite literally spend hours a day in the ocean when we're at the beach. We go to N.C. beaches every year and they're nice, but Kauai is the only place I've ever been where I actually felt like I was "home".

I mentioned moving there to the wife tonight and she was kind of nonchalant and replied "maybe". A job and income are no issue and the cost of living really won't play a factor. We're both in the nursing profession and could do quite well financially there. I have no family besides my wife and kids, so that's no issue for me. My wife has family here, but they aren't super close.

The only downside for me is the rather significant issue of gun rights, of which Hawaiians basically have none. There is no CCW or open carry for civilians, everything has to be registered, ten round mag limits and now they're even making strict ammo laws. The vast majority of my gun collection consists of guns with evil features and standard capacity magazines. I can live without my AR's and AK's, I'd miss them but that's ok. My shotguns would be fine, and I'm on a revolver kick right now, but for me, the big issue is no-CCW. I've carried a gun on me every day for the last 28 years, even when "circumstances" weren't permissive. Getting caught CCW'ing in Hawaii is a felony. I'd lose my license and income if caught, so that's huge. Besides that, Hawaii is a very blue state, and I'm a red state type of guy, to the point that I try my best to stay out of states that won't allow CCW.

So the thread title stands, could you give up a rather significant right for happiness?

2. NMG26

NMG26

Nope, I'd have to have both

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

Would you be happy without the ability to protect yourself while out and about?

If you were able to transport firearms in vehicles and have them in your home, and couldn’t have them at work... then maybe it’s only be a small uncovered area of time. Especially with corona restrictions.

DoubleWide and DaleGribble like this.
  4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    No.

Happiness is not a place, it is a state of mind.

5. rock_castle

rock_castle Stay home if you're afraid of the flu

6. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

No, because I would not be happy. I enjoy shooting firearms as well as collecting. I carry as a means of defense. I wouldn’t move somewhere I knew was going to be a step back, in such a significant way.

You do you, doesn’t matter to me. I would find somewhere I could have ocean water and the fun and safety of continuing my firearm collection.

7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1 for me.

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Paradise is an illusion.

9. Dave514

Dave514

Redneck Riviera would be better.

badge315, mdlott, Trademark and 5 others like this.
  10. Orive 8

Orive 8

No,
    In fact, my wife and I are planning to leave PA. The number one criteria for the state that we move to is that it has to have constitutional carry. For my wife and I - it is that important.

11. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Happiness is a state of mind, but it is influenced by circumstances and sometimes location.

I don't know. The last time I was there it did bother me to not carry. It was safe and I felt comfortable there, but plenty of people have been victimized in safe areas.

I plan to, I wasn't asking for permission.

I've thought about other ocean locales, but everyone I've been to, which is the entire Gulf coast and all the southern Atlantic ocean states, just weren't as nice for me.

The N.C. coast is a possibility, maybe, but the career potential isn't quite as good there either.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  12. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I couldn’t. I’d be leaving the most gun friendly state in the union.

13. jmohme

jmohme

If I have to make sacrifices, it ain't paradise.

14. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

My wife and I have gone through this numerous times. We have visited Kauai numerous times.
    We feel just like you do about Kauai. It “feels” like home and we’d live there in a heartbeat were it not for the steep leftward bent and the following:

Consider that it’s paradise until you live there. Then it becomes home, with all the attendant issues that entails, locally.
    Consider also that you’d be haole and essentially a foreigner to the locals with all the racism attached.

The right you are forgoing is rather vital to keep the rest.
    You will be outgunned by the local criminals.
    Corruption is rampant and property rights are different there too.
    Then there’s island fever. Spending a month there is awesome; spending your life there will certainly find you longing for a scenery change.

Just a couple of the considerations we discussed. There have been many others.

At the end of the day, you won’t be as happy as you think and not just about gun restrictions.

We could live there without any practical issue. But a thorough weighing of the trade-offs, which are way more than just the gun laws, make it not worth our while.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    light-switch, Berto, Csv and 4 others like this.
  15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Florida is basically my favorite Gulf coast state, but I've never been to the panhandle.

16. JMS

JMS 02

Everyone’s happy on vacation. Maybe it will lose the appeal when you’re grinding it out and what would cost $150k where you live is costing you $850k to live in “paradise”??

Personally happiness to me would be accumulating enough wealth that I could have $100k in interest income a year without having to work. Have a home base and travel the world. That would mean more to me than anything I could buy.

nursetim, DaleGribble and B C like this.
  17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

My aunt, uncle, and cousins moved to Hawaii, in the late 90’s and lived there, for around ten years. They hated it. The first few months were like a vacation. After that, they hated it, for a lot of reasons.

A friend of mine, from high school, just moved to Maine, from Hawaii. He is 34 and has been in the Navy, since he was 18. They, too, were happy to see Hawaii in their rear view mirror.

light-switch and DaleGribble like this.
  18. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    While this has some truth to it, in reality, if you are not happy where you are now, and most other places you have lived, you won't be happy living in Hawaii either.....

You think you will be, but if you do move there, after a short time you will find yourself less satisfied than you wish.

While good weather and sea breezes and nice sunsets are all wonderful, happiness is something you find within yourself, not in any particular zipcode.

Joe H, E-2-E, orangejeep06 and 2 others like this.
  19. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I’m from Florida. Spent time all over the state including the panhandle. Spent significant time on both coasts of Florida and the US.
    We now live in an RV and have been everywhere, last year we did the coast from Key West FL to Prince Edward Island in Canada.

Nothing on the continent compares to Kauai. Nothing.
    The only place I’ve been that I considered moving to because of the same “feel” is Tahiti.
    If you’re looking for a replacement on the COTUS, you won’t find it.

DaleGribble and ranger1968 like this.
  20. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I wouldn't make that swap.

California is one of the most beautiful states and I don't even want to visit anymore. Washington State, especially Seattle and surrounding area is stunning, except for the politicians and the majority of residents. Their idiot city council is ruining that city, perhaps irreparably.

When we fully retire, it's Florida for us. Figure we'll cancel out a couple of snowbird voters.