Would you rely on Glock's Loaded Chamber Indicator as a safety measure?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MO Fugga, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Just reading a thread on gun safety, and no one mentioned the LCI on Glocks or other weapons. Most responsible people are gunna do their safety drill before handing over or using a weapon. While it is nice that there are new safety innovations in guns like Glock and XD's, I am worried that someone would rely solely on it, develop a false sense of security, and not develop proper safety training. What do you think?

2. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Anyone who "gives up their safety training" for ANY reason is a poor gun owner/shooter. Period.

The purpose of the indicator is two fold:

1. To recreate a redundant system for safety checks (not primary), and one that is both visual and physical, and

2. To create a backup system for a safety check in complete dark (physical check).

I tend not to use them, though I don't mind the design on my XD. However, I don't mind the reasons they are there.

3. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Although the LCI can certainly let you know quickly you likely have a round in the chamber, i would never trust one entirely so much as to also not rack the slide back and visually verify chamber is empty...

4. BigFelipe

BigFelipe BeenQuietTilNow

I use it to verify it's chambered, not to verify that it is not chambered... if that makes sense to you...

It's nice to be able to touch the indicator without looking and know it's ready to go. If you are making sure it's unloaded you ALWAYS check the chamber regardless of the indicator...

5. steve1988

steve1988

Would I? Hell no. That's just asking for trouble. If you are too lazy to rack the slide to check the chamber, then you deserve to be shot with an "unloaded" gun.

6. Tru7h

Tru7h

Nope. It's nice but you never trust it. Always carry the same way (+1 or empty), and always physically check if you're pulling the trigger to take down.

7. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Not at all.

I want to see that empty chamber. The Glock version isn't all that positive anyway. XDs are a little better. Sig's 2022 are even better, but I'd still want to see that chamber.

8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

My sentiments exactly.

9. glockguy101

glockguy101

Its always loaded.

if i check it and clear it. make sure its not loaded. and i hand it to my wife. its loaded again. until she clears and checks it. when she hands it back. its loaded again.

the only thing i rely on is common sense. and teaching the rules of gun safety

10. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

The LCI is NOT a substitute for a thorough visual check of the chamber. It can be used as a redundant feature but not as a stand alone indicator. Anything less can get you, or someone else killed.

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

No. It's one of those things that looks good on paper but has no real use. I think they did it to get MA compliance or something.

12. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

13. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

What they said. It's a nice CYA feature for the lawyers and states that require it, but I don't ever use it. I always carry +1 and I ALWAYS triple check the weapon to ensure it is cleared before pulling the trigger for takedown.

14. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm