Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pinching and saving for 4-5 months and can finally afford a Stoeger Cougar. I like this handgun. It's not a bad gun at all and it is on my list of guns to buy at some point.
I do not currently own any handguns and this will be my first. I do, however, own shotguns, "combat" Knives and other edged weapons for home defense. This will be the handgun I take my CCW class with, as soon as I feel proficient with it and money allows, and therefore my primary carry gun for a while. I know it is big, but at 6'2" & 270lb, I am not exactly petite. Also, I work from home, so carry will only be for an hour or 2 once or twice a week.

Here is the question though; Do I buy this one now, and start the saving process over, or continue to save for something I really want, like a CZ75B or GLOCK 17?

What would you do?

Reactions: northstar19

· Registered
1,595 Posts
I would go ahead and buy it, as you don't own a handgun. Once you get that base covered, then you can start saving up for something better, if you don't feel like it fits your needs perfectly. I have my basic needs for firearms met. I save my money and buy fewer guns now, but they are generally nicer. JMO.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,005 Posts
I buy what I desire and when, there are things that are expensive that I would not have and there is also Junk out there that I would not buy. The answers are to have what you desire and when you can afford it.

· ****** Viejo
32,829 Posts
I have been pinching and saving for 4-5 months and can finally afford a Stoeger Cougar. I like this handgun. It's not a bad gun at all and it is on my list of guns to buy at some point.
I do not currently own any handguns and this will be my first. I do, however, own shotguns, "combat" Knives and other edged weapons for home defense. This will be the handgun I take my CCW class with, as soon as I feel proficient with it and money allows, and therefore my primary carry gun for a while. I know it is big, but at 6'2" & 270lb, I am not exactly petite. Also, I work from home, so carry will only be for an hour or 2 once or twice a week.

Here is the question though; Do I buy this one now, and start the saving process over, or continue to save for something I really want, like a CZ75B or GLOCK 17?

What would you do?

I'd wait to buy the G-17 or buy a nice used one now instead of the Stoeger. YMMV. tom.

Reactions: hogship

· Registered
5,787 Posts
OP, have you fired a Cougar? That is the first step before buying any gun.... especially if funds are tight. Also, a lot of people "settle" for something $100 cheaper and then regret it later. Try and rent or borrow the G17 and (if you can find one) the Stoeger.

I'm a firm believer in getting what you actually want as opposed to the cheapest option. If that proves to be the Cougar, then so be it. I buy firearms to keep for the long haul. For the record, I'd I'd take either the CZ or the Glock anyday over the Stoeger. But I'm not you. Good luck in your choice.

· Registered
363 Posts
OP you have to weigh the options, and the repercussions. The cougar is not a cheap gun by what I saw, but there are other options also. I am in the camp of get a good affordable gun, and then save for the gun you desire, unless you already have the bucks.

A gun in layaway will not save your bacon.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the opinions all. I really do appreciate them all.

OP, have you fired a Cougar? That is the first step before buying any gun.... especially if funds are tight. Also, a lot of people "settle" for something $100 cheaper and then regret it later. Try and rent or borrow the G17 and (if you can find one) the Stoeger.

I'm a firm believer in getting what you actually want as opposed to the cheapest option. If that proves to be the Cougar, then so be it. I buy firearms to keep for the long haul. For the record, I'd I'd take either the CZ or the Glock anyday over the Stoeger. But I'm not you. Good luck in your choice.
No, I have not, nor do I have much opportunity to try any of them out. As for cost, the difference is close to $200, which is why I am considering the Cougar now, & continue to save for more later. Why would you not like the Cougar? What is your opinion based on?

Sell a scatter gun, purchase a G19, profit.
I should have specified my shotguns. I apologize for the lack of detail there. My primary is a Maverick 88 12 gauge and the other is a 1911 produced Winchester 1897 that I inherited from my Grandpa, when he passed away. Since I only have the 2, I dont have enough to part with. And the G19 is not on my list of desired guns anyways. It's just too dang small for my hands.

· Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions all.
I should have specified my shotguns. I apologize for the lack of detail there. My primary is a Maverick 88 12 gauge and the other is a 1911 produced Winchester 1897 that I inherited from my Grandpa, when he passed away. Since I only have the 2, I dont have enough to part with. And the G19 is not on my list of desired guns anyways. It's just too dang small for my hands.
I realized my mistake after I posted. Nothing wrong with purchasing an affordable pistol now and upgrading later. That's actually the way things used to be done before credit cards.

· Registered
45,276 Posts
I saved for 18 to 24 months for each of may last three pistols. Granted they are "different", but They were what I wanted.

Depends on your motivation. If you want a pistol. Buy what will get the job done. If you want a specific pistol, take the time to save.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I am very frugal. Like, super-cheap. I generally buy the cheapest thing I can get away with. And while I generally come out okay, I have still learned a lot of lessons that often point to buying one or two steps above the bottom if you still want a decent product.

Unfortunately, in my experience, handguns start getting questionable below about the $500 mark, especially at today's prices. Yes, there are several with which you would likely be reasonably happy, but below the $500 mark you generally start making noticeable sacrifices in functional reliability, long-term durability, or at the very least parts and service availability. I am not saying $500 is some magic price to make a good handgun, but I can think of very few exceptions to the above trend.

To be honest, I think Glock set the bar for well-build budget-minded handguns, and a few other manufacturers made the effort to step into that market. The rest are either much more expensive (H&K and Sig come to mind as popular, but expensive, fighting handguns), or aim a bit low. Taurus, for example, falls into that latter category, where really only their flagship models are something I'd recommend to a friend. I owned a Raging Bull and a PT99, both of which were perfectly fine pistols for their respective prices. I bought a 24/7 OSS once and it was the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned and ran well, but I broke the safety lever off in the first week.

So, if I were you, I'd probably try to find a used G17 for the same price as a new Cougar. A used G22 police trade-in would probably be even easier to dig up, if you might consider .40 cal.

If you want new, the ONLY gun I could personally recommend in that price range is the Taurus PT92 AF. You can still find them in the low $400s new. If I hadn't gotten addicted to modern triggers, I'd probably buy another one myself.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13586

· Ruggedly handsome
24,043 Posts
I always try to save for a specific pistol that I desire then walk into a gun shop and see something I can't live without. If it were me I'd save and buy something a little higher quality for the first pistol as you've already got home defense covered with a shotgun!

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't know about yr particular situation, but speaking generally, I personally think it's better to wait until I can buy something I really want/need, than going cheap in the meantime. Use the time to research and consider yr purchase carefully.

An example: My $135 Jawbone Era took a crap on me. It lasted for a few years, and now it's time to get a new one I guess. I could go to Walmart and buy a cheap one until I can mail it off to the manufacturer and perhaps get it replaced with a refurb for a nominal fee. Or I can buy another somewhat expensive one next month maybe. For me, the challenge is not buying something on impulse just because I can.

· Banned
17,266 Posts

What would you do?
#1 wait and buy what you really want and don't forget used options... #2 I have a Berreta Cougar, not Stoger, and would take it in a heart beat over you other too options, shot them all-- the wild card is how the Turks are doing with Beretta tooling... I'd think fine.

Back to # 1... Many mint used guns are out there. People buy guns and sell them with less than a box of ammo all the time. Me? No... Bought these? Yes! And I have enough to buy new, but would rather buy smart.

#3 have you shot any of these guns? The trigger on the Cougar and the CZ will be at least in the same zip code the Glock is completely different, more than one correct answer. Beretta/Stoegar's pistols can for a few bucks and minutes be upgraded by using the DAO hammer spring in a DA/SA gun... May be true for the CZ too... I dunno.., but Beretta/Stoegar do it!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.