Would You Purposely Get CoV-19 If You Could?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by M&P15T, Aug 4, 2020.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I have done everything I can to keep from getting badly ill from Covid-19 from the nutrition side. I am taking a lot of supplements that are supposed to guard against it. I have cut 95% of the sugar out of my diet which is always good for the immune system. I wash my hands more than I used to. I only wear masks if it is absolutely necessary to get in some place.

If I did get it, I wouldn't be blaming some one else, or the fact that some don't wear masks, or the President, or anyone except ****ing China and their bull**** communist way of flippantly doing criminal **** that impacts human lives.

So no, I wouldn't on purpose, but I can tell you one thing for sure, I would rather get it and die than live scared out of my mind for the next 6 months or a year over something that may not, and probably won't happen.

redneck ron likes this.
  2. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

I got a small 6000 series with 2091's that fits great. At work I have a large Miller brand with p100's built in that also fits. I just use it for welding. I would agree that a medium would work on any adult.

flyover likes this.

3. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

We're in the same boat there, my friend.

Anyway, what kind of ****-for-brains wants to come down with even the regular flu? Who needs a week or two of feeling like **** and not being able to work or pull their weight around the household? Sounds like a slacker's way of ducking work if you ask me.

Grumpy

Westexas and flyover like this.
  4. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I'll go ahead and guess you're retired, and this hasn't affected your life much.

Hundreds of millions of people around the world have been economically/financially crushed by this, and would prefer to not just personally get past COVID, but need the world to get past COVID. Tons of businesses are going under because of this. Roughly 37,100,000 people in the US are unemployed because of this, as unemployment has jumped from 3.8% to 14.4% since January. The US GDP was down almost 10% in the first quarter. Keep that trend going to the end of this year, and into next year, and you're talking about an economic collapse.

Trade all of the negative consequences listed above, for a massively high chance of not even having any symptoms, or being sick for weeks, or at worst dying and not giving a **** about what happens? Yeah, I'll go with let's get this over and done with, we need to get the world moving again. If I gotta get sick or die to contribute to that, so be it. There's billions of other people to consider, not just me.

I'm angered by how self-indignant and selfish people that haven't been affected by this are. What happens when we hit a massive economic down-turn with huge inflation, and your retirement is suddenly effectively gone? Still going to think people wanting to get past COVID as quickly as possible are ****-for-brains? Or are you going to get a job as a greeter at Walmart?

And just out of curiosity, understanding that you have health issues that make you concerned about exposure to COVID; what's your long term plan? Stay in your home until you die? Wear masks, social distance, disinfect everything you touch and eat, all day every day, until you die? Have no interactions with anyone until you die? Sit around by your lonesome believing in the false-hope of a vaccine until you die?

I'll take the chance of dying, rather than entertain "living" like that.

Bunch'a ****ing *******.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    racerford likes this.
  5. M&P15T

Medical Science is 0 for 7 with human Corona virus vaccines so far. I'm left wondering what "odds" you believe are worth betting on.

6. -JCN-

-JCN-

I’m a physician so my background of “medical science” is a little different than yours.

Companies are financially motivated for a vaccine like never before in history. There are different vaccine techniques and they are giving good results so far in testing.

People are generating antibodies from the vaccine.

And people with history of infection have antibodies that they are donating to help others currently very sick.

It may not be a magic cure, but it seems like people with previous exposure to similar proteins get less sick when they get infected.

So I’ll take those chances to help mitigate the severity of infection in the future.

But you go ahead and get infected now. Not my body.

Westexas, 10or45, Mr Meeseeks and 3 others like this.
  7. M&P15T

0 for 7. If it happens, great. Wonderful. It's still 12-18 months away, last I read.

Meanwhile, everyone is ****ting their pants over 169,000 dead, but don't seem to care about the 37,100,000 folks in the US that have lost their jobs, the businesses gone under, GDP shrinking at a truly alarming rate, and the world-wide economy that is headed for the dumpster.

If we keep on this track, doing this stupid **** we're doing, no one is going to give 2 ****s about a few hundred thousand dead. Not when the US economy dives and makes Venezuala look like a capitalist's dream, and 2/3rds of the country are living in card-board boxes down by the river, begging for food.

8. -JCN-

-JCN-

0/7 doesn’t mean anything when not previously motivated enough.

If you want to doom and gloom, you go ahead. You asked people’s opinions and I gave you mine.

12-18 months probably for widespread vaccination. But it’ll probably start roll out starting in a couple months. And I would rather get in on that then taking my chances unnecessarily.

Westexas, 10or45, Mr Meeseeks and 2 others like this.
  9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

Absolutely No. I have no idea if I would be one of those folks that would have a cytokine-storm response. I can't imagine why some would purposely want to be infected with this virus. I just recently read that a 29/30 year old purposely caught it at one of these Covid-19 parties. He won the cash prize but is now at the cemetery.

10. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Yeah, let’s not forget all the blood and treasure spent trying to come up with an effective vaccine for HKU1, NL63, and OC43. Or how about 229E, that was practically a moonshot!

Clearly this is an emotional topic for you. If you really want to get the virus, lots of rednecks are partying it up on the Florida beaches. Best chance of exposure would be to go spend some time in dingy, poorly ventilated bars. By definition, everyone there will be the kinds of people who aren’t taking precautions. Exposure chances increase with proximity and duration. More dense crowds obviously enhance your chances. Hopefully you won’t go visit grandma while you’re pre-syptomatic or asymptomatic. I know you don’t want to live your life in fear and all, given the economic troubles. Good luck on your quest.

[​IMG]

-JCN- likes this.
  11. M&P15T

[​IMG]

12. thespork

thespork

Also monoclonal antibodies and other treatments are developing rapidly..
    Also dexamethasone and remdesivir are in short supply, but the supply chain is spinning up...
    A large percentage of us may indeed get this thing, but to conspire against ones self and to get this thing, right now, is simply moronic

Westexas, icantpick, 10or45 and 2 others like this.
  13. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

Deleted.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. Westexas

Westexas

I like the 3M 6000 and 7000 series respirators. MSA is also good.

I’d like to avoid COVID. That’s why we’re using N99 masks.

For us this is nothing more than an inconvenience.

-JCN- likes this.
  15. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Other than the rear fasteners being cheap as compared to older models including North and AO Safety (that 3M acquired) I would agree. I've got them in my garage for painting cars and they've lasted for years. The Miller is the only one that fits inside a welding hood.
    I just picked up a Medium 7502.

16. Westexas

Westexas

I agree, the fasteners are a bit cheap. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up. I do prefer MSA respirators, however, 3M definitely has a wider selection of filters and cartridges.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    10or45 likes this.
  17. Westexas

Westexas

How concerned are you about this fall? I’m a retired Medical Technologist. My wife is a Medical Laboratory Scientist. Both of us are quite concerned that if this virus is circulating at the same time as seasonal flu, things could get ugly.

10or45 likes this.
  18. -JCN-

-JCN-

I don’t think the seasonal flu is going to circulate like years past with virus mitigation strategies in general.

It’ll be interesting to see how flu numbers differ this year. But if you think of how reduced in person work and school is, I don’t know that it’s going to be that much of a difference from what we have now.

Westexas likes this.
  19. Westexas

Westexas

Good point. We may see a suppression in the numbers due to enhanced hygiene.We may wind up with fewer flu cases. On the other hand, compliance has been far from universal. It will be interesting.

Anyone infected with seasonal flu and SARS CoV 2 at the same time is apt to be quite ill.

20. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

It would be pretty hard for me. I don't know anyone who has it, and only two people who have had it. It's really rare where I live!

Westexas likes this.