Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to protest like so many have done in Cairo?

What would you do if what is happening in Egypt was happening here in the USA?

Would you stay home to protect your valuables from looters?

Would you do nothing and pretend like nothing is happening?

Would you hit the streets and protest on the front lines?

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Selling protest signs isn't an option?

·
Herr Trigger
1,261 Posts
No, I would not be in the streets.

I would hunker down, load all my mags for everything I own and wait and see what happens...

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
It depends on the issue.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Most of the "protesters" in Egypt are young and unemployed so they have nothing better to do. Same story, different country when France had it's little uproar a while back. This'll blow over like all the others when they get bored with it.

Greg

·
Da Da
7,202 Posts
Private citizens are reporting Iranians paying unemployed Egyptians to stay in the square and protest.

Two different radio shows yesterday had callers will family in Egypt saying the same thing.

Shop owners are arming themselves and guarding their property, the protesters are being paid to be there. The people are being pitted against themselves, no one will win.

As everyday Egyptians complain about America being the bad guy, their country is being overthrown by outside forces, radical Islam that will take them back to the dark ages.

Once the Muslim Brotherhood takes over, expect a purge of all wealthy, educated and westerners.

Just like Iran in 1979.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I live in a pretty small town. Most likely the 20 or so homes in my area would meet and discuss some sort of plan. I wouldn't drive to the largest city of Milwaukee or Madison and take to the streets--that is just asking to get shot, beat down and robbed or arrested.

To get to the boiling point Egypt hit though is hard to see any time soon (I predict within three years-my answer for this below). 50% unemployment vs. a government handing out checks to everyone under the sun hardly is the recipe for a full scale riot. Most Americans right now are happy to be on unemployment for 99 weeks rather than riot.

This said, I believe within three years those checks will stop. The Fed has already been warned its AAA rating may be pulled in three years if it doesn't shape up. The Fed's response was to release a report indicating it will add another $1 trillion to the national debt most likely for the next two years and possibly three; based on current trends and interest the debt will be around $21 trillion dollars. My thought is somewhere north of $20 trillion it will become self sustaining. In other words, the government won't be able to pay it off without severe over taxation or cutting a lot of programs--either of those could easily trigger a riot

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
to protest like so many have done in Cairo?

What would you do if what is happening in Egypt was happening here in the USA?

Would you stay home to protect your valuables from looters?

Would you do nothing and pretend like nothing is happening?

Would you hit the streets and protest on the front lines?
As far as joining the protesters, it would all depend on the reason they were protesting.

If welfare/foodstamps/unemployment was reformed calling for drug tests and limits similar to WIC and all the white trash/gangstas were rioting in downtown West Palm Beach, I'm far enough away that I wouldn't have to worry about my house but I would stay home and protect what is mine if needed.

Now, if a president, any president, tried to become a dictator or something crazy like that, I would be wherever I had to be to try to stop that.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
If a million plus folks can't achieve what needs to be achived......what is there to make me think adding my weight to it will do anything? With the crowd I mean.

I may believe the same way they do, give support and encouragement, and even supplies if I feel it's the right thing to do. But at some point, so many people in such a small enclosed area, considering the large number of people there....strikes me as an awful lot of folks being trapped in a very open kill zone. Should someone want it to become such a thing.

But that's just me.

I never much liked getting into a place I didn't know how to get out of..........fast, if I had to. Especially if I thought the likelihood of violence was in play. Even but a few gunmen on the rooftops, and the toll could be great indeed. I've never, never seen such a time when that couldn't/wouldn't take place under the right conditions. And the conditions certainly appear "right" to me now.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Home Sweet Home for me. I don't like rowdy crowds.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
What you're seeing in Cairo right now isn't peacefull protesting, it is all out rioting. Fires in the streets, throwing rocks, reporters getting beaten ect. This is mob mentality. To call it "protesting" is nothing more than leftist PC code for breaking things and causing trouble.

I keep waiting for Mubarak and the military to say enough of this and start busting skulls. There is no way any dictator is going to voluntarily hand over power just because a big wad of people get pissed and cause a riot. This is only a revolution in the minds of leftist reporters who would rather the Mooslim Brother-hoods take over the country and turn it over to the Islamofundamentalists. I could care less about whether or not Egypt is ruled by a dictator; most of the Middle Eastern countries are. As long as Mubarak keeps things quiet and doesn't start any trouble, I think he should stay.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
as a Dad, my number one priority is taking care of my family...nuff said.

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Someone is closing Walmart?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Mubarak is little different than every other long term dictator in the world, I'm a tad surprised to see so much support for him here. Let's at least be consistent: if Mubarak is so great, then so was Saddam Hussein, Ferdinand Marcos, and every other thug the U.S. has propped up over the years.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Nothing appealing about Mubarak. But the possible alternatives are frightening. And the winds of revolution seem to be spreading across the mid east.

And for the most part he's been an ally.

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts
I am disappointed in you guys.

Let's say Obama and the congress decides that we don't need need hi-cap mags anymore, that Glocks have no "sporting" purpose and that ALL pistol grip shotguns are now considered destructive devices.

Let's also say that the government, in order to keep political talk civil, decides that any written or spoken language that is "threatening" (as defined by them) to either an individual, group or the government is now illegal. Since that includes references to "tea parties" (clearly violent and seditious) and flags like "don't tread on me", those are now banned.

Now lets say that some of us decide that those bans are clearly a violation of our civil rights and decide to have a civil rights march on Washington and ask all gun owners to show up and protest against the government.

Are you in or not?

(be aware that all those things I've mentioned are being talked about in Washington in one form or another)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts