close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would you go back?

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by 25074, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 25074

25074 "Traveling man"

I am currently reading a book, called Up Country, by Nelson Demille.

In this book the main character goes back to Vietnam to investigate a 30 year old murder of an ARMY Lt.

He is going back to Vietnam as a civilian 30 years after he was there.

I am a Gulf War Vet (2003) and I have wondered if I could bring myself to go back one day as a civilian.

What do my fellow Vets think about going back to an area that you served in combat?

Not trying to sound stupid. I saw some bad things and just wondered how everyone else feels about it.

Thanks

2. AirAssault

AirAssault Übermensch

i was over in Iraq/Saudi back in 90-91 and have thought about going back over the years.

3. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

The jungle has pretty much taken back my base at NKP Thailand according to those who have gone back. I don't have that much desire to return.

Our area of operations was Laos and southern North Vietnam. Would I like to fly over some of that area again? Probably would. Visit on the ground...no.

:cool:

4. Jafo2001

Jafo2001

As someone who loves the outdoors and deserts in particular, I would. I actually found myself during the first Gulf War planning out camping trips for some point in the future.

That being said, they are going to have to do a lot of improving in their attitudes and policies before they will get any of my tourism dollars...

5. jerryd

jerryd

Would love to go back and see what the place looks like now! Maybe check out some of my old bars and see if any of the no. 1 cherry girls are still there, drink some Saigon Tea, and relax on the beach! I always said it was a beautiful country if you could keep the locals from pooping on the beach, just like walking thru a mine field!;z

6. 25074

25074 "Traveling man"

What I really found facinating in Iraq was that there is so much history there.

Babylon, Ur, and the hanging gardens.

There is a lot of biblical history over there.

I would go back if given the chance. Once the place cools down a little!

To many roadside bombings for me!!!!!!

7. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Here is how part of Laos looked while I was there...

[​IMG]

8. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Rainwatcher

9. Linh40

Linh40 Member

I really don't think I would. I mean Iraq has a lot of culture but then that's really it. Don't really see any reason to going back there at least not anytime soon. Plus come on it's like over 100 almost everyday.

On TV a while ago on the travel channel they showed a Vietnam Vet that went back to Vietnam with his Harley and rode it from the capital to southern vietnam. I was born in VIetnam and visited there a few times, they are moving toward capitalism they don't hate us, but their education system teaches the young ones that america tried to invade vietnam.

10. nothing

nothing Advertisement

I was just a few miles north of the hanging gardens and babylon. There were a few moments when you could almost see how the garden of eden could have been there if you could get rid of the smell, bombed out cars, bomb holes in the roads, trash, and er the bombs. I saw some cool things around iskandariyah, like the british fort in the middle of the city, but I just don't know if I could go back. A lot will have to change.

After dealing with those people every freaken day I just don't know if I could tolerate them. One minute you feel sorry for them, another you just want to kill all of them. I don't think Americans can really understand just how jacked up middle eastern culture is until you live with them for a year. They lie more than any culture I've ever seen, they are all con artists and well, they are just flat out crazy greedy bastards. I suppose I met a few that were ok, but you just can't trust anyone when fighting an insurgency.

Right now I think the only way I'd go back is to do another tour.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My only problem with going to Iraq or Kuwait or Saudi is that those joints hold no interests for me. I can't booze up and chase poon, and I'm not Indiana Jones so all that history and archaeology mean nothing to me.

12. Streck-Fu

Streck-Fu

We need to have a beer sometime....;Y ;V

13. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

As a Korean War combat veteran, I resisted going back there for a long time. My wife worked for NWA and is retired from them, so I have had an easy way to get there had I wanted to. I had so many bad experiences there that I didn't want to return.

I did however; recently return on a Cruise that stopped in Pusan, Korea. Pusan, was were I landed in 1951 and were I left from, after my tour of duty.

To me, Pusan and Korea in general, was not anything like I remembered. Pusan was just like any other modern asian city.

I did visit the United Nations Cemetery in Pusan. When I left Korea from Pusan the Repple depot was just across from the UN Cemetery and one could see the thousands of white wooden crosses from the tents there.

The Cemetery now, does not have crosses or upright stones now. There are very few Americans who died in combat who are buried there. Most that are buried there (from the dates on flat markers died after the war, while living there.)

Their are many Turk, UK, Canadians and other UN soldiers who did die in combat there though. It was a moving experience for me anyway.

14. x19delta

x19delta

I have no desire to return to SW Asia.

15. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

I didn't leave anything behind.......at least nothing worth going back for.

16. reconvic

reconvic Recon Marine

I haven't had any desire to go back then on my own mind.
    Had alot of bad times there and some great times.
    Nam will never be top of my list for any Vactions.
    Still I guess I have a deep seated grugde againist the country there.
    S.F.Vic

17. td.trmntr

td.trmntr

Not on your life. I've seen enough blood and death to last me a lifetime. While it's true I miss the old days sometimes, I certainly wouldn't want to revisit places where I lost my friends.

18. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I don't know if I would go back or not; one of my friends is going back to Nam for the second time this summer. He went back a couple of years ago to honor the memory of a Lt. Stone RN, who was the first; maybe the only woman KIA.

Only time will tell, but for now I have too many mixed emotions. There is a close Vietnamese friend I served and trained with that I would go back and see becuase I promised him; and there is another Vietnamese fellow who is in Vietnam now trying to find him. It would probably take finding him for me to go back. :)

Adios,
    Bob

19. 2400

That looks like the vertical speed brake.

20. SlimlineGlock

SlimlineGlock

Mu Gia Pass?