close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would you get this checked?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BBSRQ, Apr 8, 2012.

1. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

I finally got around to reading the manual that came with the used G23 I purchased last week and it talks about a bunch of service and safety stuff I don't yet know about. I'll be attending a gun safety/concealment class with my wife at the end of the month and that will be my first time shooting it. Anyway, this 23 is from 2002. It looks to me like it hasn't been used much but, truth is, I don't really know. Would you take it in to get checked first?

Also, if you know, it looks like I can convert the 23 to a 19 by changing barrels for about $100. Assuming 9mm is cheaper to shoot and that my wife will probably end up with a 9mm, too, would you change over? I'll probably never use the 23 as a carry gun.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. EODLRD

EODLRD AF Veteran

No. I would check for broken, worn, or missing parts and call it good. Any checking that needs to be done can be completed by the end-user.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

3. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I would take it out and shoot it before your concealed carry class just to be sure it works for you otherwise you'll be renting one.

4. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

LOL...that probably makes perfect sense but I don't know what it's supposed to look like and wouldn't know if something was wrong or missing. It lloks ok to me but I don't have anything to compare it to.

5. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

How about telling us where you are and perhaps a Certified Glock Armorer near you can check it out before you function test it?

Just a thought.

6. QNman

QNman Old timer

Yes - have it checked if you bought it used. I bought a G23 here on Glocktalk. I took it to the range and fired a few. My brass was ejecting erratically and was deformed on about every fifth shot. I took it to the Glock armorer on staff and he stripped it for me. The slide lock (not to be confused with the slide stop) was installed backwards. I don't know if anything beyond ruined brass would have resulted, but better to check beforehand and know everything is as it should be.

I could (should) have done this myself. If you are unable (sounds like maybe you are), have an armorer show you how while he checks it out.

It is unlikely you will know a "worn" part from a shiny one. (no offense meant).

7. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

That's why I am asking. I've never been shy about asking for help when I don't know. IMHO, only a fool thinks he knows everything. It's the best part about special interest forums like this one. I've already learned plenty from reading a bunch of posts and I can see how I might become addicted. :cool:

Anyway, I know where there is a certified armorer so I guess it couldn't hurt to take it and have it checked first. I don't really know anything about the previous owner. He was a friend of a co-worker who passed away and I got it for $340 so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

8. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

you cant just put a g19 barrel in a g23 and shoot 9mm ammo. you need a specific aftermarket conversion barrel, 9mm mags and maybe a 9mm ejector.

the reason you need a different barrel is because the OD of a factory .40 barrel is larger than the OD of a factory 9mm barrel. so you need a barrel that is rifled and chambered for 9mm with the external barrel OD of a .40 to fit in the g22/g23/g27 slide.

http://www.glockmeister.com/G23-KKM-9MM-Match-Grade-Conversion-Barrel/productinfo/G23B1/

9. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

Thanks...I never thought about the OD but that makes sense and I never thought about the mag and the ejector. The barrels are more than I thought, too. Maybe worth it in the very long run but I'll have to think about it.

10. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

I would suggest shooting it before you go to the class.

11. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

If you purchase it you can also take it to a GSSF match and have the armorer check it out/update it for you.

12. QNman

QNman Old timer

Smart man...

You made a good purchase. An armorer may not even charge you for just a once-over.

13. QNman

QNman Old timer

BTW - welcome! Before long, I suspect you'll be shopping for a "sibling" Glock.