Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live behind enemy lines in NY, as well as being one of the nation's current hotspots for the pandemic.
We are also actually seeing record numbers of hospitalizations. Yes, that's right, we have more folks hospitalized today than any point thus far.
I hear all the stories, from people testing positive, with no symptoms, the people saying they have lost 3 friends all under 50, all healthy with no preexisting conditions.
Even one account of a union laborer (thousands of of employees) that has lost 80 COWORKERS in NYC.
Say what you will, that's is not normal.
The numbers are high, and very real here.

Anyways, back in early Feb, I vacationed in KY, and flew home from Nashville.
I was sicker than a dog for 8-10 days shortly after returning, but no shortness of breath or pneumonia that I was aware of.
I'm late 40's and fairly healthy with being slightly overweight my only true concern.

So I'm supposed to fly back into Nashville tomorrow, then on to Gatlinburg TN for a few days, then down to Florida for a week.
All just R&R a vacation.
I'm just really struggling with the flying thing. Part of me thinks no big deal, the other part of me wonders if I'm playing with fire.

So I figured I'd ask here before I turn in for the night and get myself even more worked up to the point I can't sleep before I leave for vacation.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes. If I had a need to.
But
On any given day I prefer to drive places as opposed to flying.

·
dimly lit
798 Posts
I have to for work this week domestically here in the US. Next week it's a longer flight home to Austria. Can't say that I'm terribly apprehensive about either flight. Just be prepared for some annoyances (wearing a mask, extra questions, possible testing, etc). Safe travels!

·
NRA Life Member
66,525 Posts
Sure. In the unlikely event I get sick, so what?

Reactions: Quijibo

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I'd start eating well, running hard, chinning up, lifting, cycling, hoard up some small sanitizer bottles, then Flavian Ampitheatre, HERE WE COME!

·
Caffeinator
6,008 Posts
No.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
I need to go from FL to Charlotsville VA in a couple weeks. i would fly if I could but the airlines cut back schedules so much I would have to sit through 5-6 hours layover in Atl to fly to Richmond and drive a couple hours to my destination. At that point I will just rent a car and drive it.

in June I need to be in Chambersburg and hoping more flights get added. Can fly into Dulles so might have a better chance.

This summer I need upstate NY, Colorado Springs, El Segundo, and Santa Maria CA. They are a little far to drive.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Depends on if things will be "normal" where I'm flying to.. I'm not scared at all of flying.. But I would hate to travel somewhere only to find out that there is nothing to do when I get there 'cause eerbody skeert of a damn virus.. If there was a party with thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of partiers at my destination.. I'd be in a TSA line right now instead of typing this out..

·
Registered
32,498 Posts
Yes as long as it was worth it. I generally only fly because their is no alternative, like going to Hawaii, or it will save me time, long weekend trip to family in Oregon.

Hawaii is mandating a 14 day quarantine. It could be done by just picking a good resort and not leaving except to fly out but prefer seeing a lot of sights.

Oregon is almost a single day's drive with kids. A long drive and they are cranky during and after. Two days is better.

Other than that we drive so the only thing we would run into are public restrooms, gas pumps, and food joints.

At this point I would be more willong to go to rural Oregon where family is vs go to SF for the day.

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
I would think in NY it would be easy to get an antibody test. If you had it and got over it might make you more comfortable.

I live behind enemy lines in NY, as well as being one of the nation's current hotspots for the pandemic.
We are also actually seeing record numbers of hospitalizations. Yes, that's right, we have more folks hospitalized today than any point thus far.
I hear all the stories, from people testing positive, with no symptoms, the people saying they have lost 3 friends all under 50, all healthy with no preexisting conditions.
Even one account of a union laborer (thousands of of employees) that has lost 80 COWORKERS in NYC.
Say what you will, that's is not normal.
The numbers are high, and very real here.

Anyways, back in early Feb, I vacationed in KY, and flew home from Nashville.
I was sicker than a dog for 8-10 days shortly after returning, but no shortness of breath or pneumonia that I was aware of.
I'm late 40's and fairly healthy with being slightly overweight my only true concern.

So I'm supposed to fly back into Nashville tomorrow, then on to Gatlinburg TN for a few days, then down to Florida for a week.
All just R&R a vacation.
I'm just really struggling with the flying thing. Part of me thinks no big deal, the other part of me wonders if I'm playing with fire.

So I figured I'd ask here before I turn in for the night and get myself even more worked up to the point I can't sleep before I leave for vacation.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you can get a hold of a set of 2 or 3 N95 masks and a few pair of medical gloves... Go for it. That said... I'm 90% sure you've already had it. Like you said, you've heard of people testing positive with no symptoms... if when you were sick you were coughing at all it was probably Covid.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Hell no, but I wouldn't fly anytime.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
No, I would not fly without proper PPE. That means N95 and goggles at minimum, N100/P100 for a flight of any duration. I would also shower and re-dress in sterile clothes immediately after landing and use a UV wand on anything that can't be discarded or cleaned with 70% alcohol solution.

This is not advice, just an answer to the question of whether or not I would board an airplane now. If I'm going to breathe everyone else's recycled air, I will take minimum safety precautions, particularly since there are so many anti-maskers (who are probably anti-vaxxers too) out there and I have read reports that the airlines won't enforce mask orders.

Grumpy

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
4,345 Posts
No, I’m retired and don’t NEED to go anywhere. I won’t fly unless it takes more than two days to drive there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hell no flying freaks the hell out of me. If I was supposed to be up there I would of been born with wings.

·
Displaced Hillbilly
2,343 Posts
I am a pilot and I hate riding airlines. But, if I needed to get somewhere outside of driving distance, I would fly without hesitation.

Reactions: Quijibo
1 - 20 of 68 Posts